SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bookmom41

Now for the book you thought you'd like but didn't...

bookmom41
18 years ago

We have the thread for books we've ended up enjoying despite initial misgivings. How about the book you looked forward to reading and it turned out to be a disappointment?

Most recently for me, it was "Never Let Me Go" by Kazuo Ishiguro. I hated the way the author made me guess, and then cheat by reading ahead, at what horrid fate awaited the characters. This book got on my very last nerve and I did not finish it, didn't even skim the ending, which is rare for me.

Another was "Memoirs of a Geisha." Dull, dull, dull. This was another in which I skimmed ahead, skimmed the end and was done. Periodically, someone in my bookclub suggests this as a selection and I moan so much that thankfully, it goes away.

I was surprised by my reaction to these books since both were well reviewed, sold well as popular fiction and were enjoyed by many posting in this forum. In both books, I think it was the author's style or technique that left me cold rather than the story itself.

Comments (32)

• brendainva
    18 years ago

I began ANANSI BOYS by Neil Gaiman. I love all his comics work, but his novels are kind of off and on. (AMERICAN GODS was severely flawed.) This is the first one I simply could not get into. The hero seemed whiny and passive, in need of a good slap upside the head. Returned it to the library after reading about 20 pages.

Brenda

• ccrdmrbks
    18 years ago

well, Cold Comfort Farm didn't resonate with me. (my new favorite-hate business buzzword saying.)

The Virgin Knot-written by a local girl, Holly Payne- and it too got excellent reviews from scholarly critics-it was written with no quotation marks-was she talking? Was she just thinking it? Is this a conversation or a dream? Drove me nuts!

• Related Discussions

Just Thought You'd Like To Know

Q

Comments (9)
    Carol----there are so many roses I would love to have but my yard is too shady. Plus I'm taking it very easy this spring-----My back surgery was a success but now my other hip is giving me trouble------I really would love to have a full-time gardener----LOL and a much fatter pocketbook---LOL thanks for the information----I will check out my very long list of "roses I must have"--- I have a few cuttings that have rooted and must get in the ground. Florence
    ...See More

just ideas I thought you'd like

Q

Comments (10)
    Karen, love that moss covered bunny. I"ll have to watch for a bunny that would work for that one. I have several big cement bunnies in my yard, but they would be pretty big and heavy to try this with. I am wondering if the little ones that you find in the $store for the kiddies would work. They might be so light that you would need to cut a slit in them to weight them down with sand or something heavy so they wouldn't tumble over, but that could be covered with tape and the moss so ir wouldn't matter. I really like the stacked mirrors too. That is another one I might have to try, just one big problem===to many things I love for the room that I have to display things. Glad you are posting again. We miss you when you are MIA. Hugs, Janet
    ...See More

Tons of great tips I thought you'd like...

Q

Comments (1)
    whewwwww!!! great info, thanks.........will keep this one.
    ...See More

Roses you didn't like, but now you do

Q

Comments (12)
    Kublakan, Yes. I think I met you and SoFla briefly at Cool's Roses. I should have paid closer attention to those of you who were there - I didn't realize the wealth of knowledge and the helpfulness of the people that I was meeting. Duh. Shame on me. Looking back I should have realized. I think it was SoFla that actually posted the sale date of Cool Roses.... I didn't even know Cool existed until she was kind enough to list it on this forum. Now you are doing the same of Nelson's. I have not been to Nelsons. I did not know they existed. I will check them out, though unlike you I live only 10 minutes from Cool's Roses, so it might be hard to get me to travel very far to make a purchase. I had been buying bare root roses at Sam's, Costco's and Kmart - treating them as annuals because of the root stock issue. I also purchase own root roses from mail order at Chamblees. So far the own roots have held up, but I am sure over time the nematodes will get them..... though I keep amending my soil. It is probably a losing battle though. The hard part for me is I see all of these roses that I want and they don't necessarily come on fortuniana rootstock. Guess I am a kid in a candy store, knowing I will get a tummy ache and not caring until I actually eat all the candy and have to live with the consequences. Yes, I laminate over the poor dying rose, even though I knew it wasn't going to live..... Hopefully, now that I found places that carry fortuniana root stock I can curb my "appetite" to only those that will have a longer and healthier life. Does Nelson's carry a wider variety or a different variety of roses than Cool's? Someone also mentioned KandM and they seem to have a few different varieties..... I kind of want the Black Baccara - just because. Again, Thanks for all your input
    ...See More
  • biwako_of_abi
    18 years ago

The Historian ! Reserved it at the library under the false impression that it was really about some sort of historical research into Dracula folklore, but the meaningless and unnecessary way the father kept drawing out his story, seemingly just so the author could build suspense, added insult to injury, and I didn't read very much of the book. I did skip ahead to a few places near the end and found it even less to my liking, with unsatisfactory and unlikely explanations--in particular, the one about what happened to the mother, and why. (I put it in this cryptic manner so as not to spoil things for people who can stomach the book.) Ick!

There have also been a number of books that I thought, from their reviews, I would enjoy, but which turned out to be written all in the present tense (Ansay's Vinegar Hill being the most recent one), and I quickly got rid of them. (Sorry for railing against this pet hate in two recent posts!)
    I know, though, that plenty of people loved The Historian, and, strangely enough, BookMom, I loved Memoirs of a Geisha! Well, to each his own!

• martin_z
    18 years ago

And I was stunned by Never Let Me Go...

Ah well.

Blue Horizons - can't remember the author - about Captain Cook and such-like. I used to LOVE tracing the voyages of Cook, Magellan and such-like on the atlas. I was really expecting to enjoy this. And the author of this managed to make the whole thing seem tedious. I think there was too much about the writer and his journey, and not enough about Captain Cook.

A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again by David Foster Wallace. Well, in my case, it's read anything else by this author. I'd heard that the guy was brilliantly funny and an excellent writer. Hmmmm....clever-clever, unfunny, and a ridiculous trick of writing long footnotes, some of which had footnotes of their own. Yeurghhhh.

There are stacks more, but those two spring to mind.

biwako - if you can get over your hatred of the present tense, then A Kind of Loving by Stan Barstow is marvellous - the use of the first person present historic (which I believe it's technically called) gives a real immediacy to the writing.

• anyanka
    18 years ago

I expected Bill Bryson's Notes from a Small Island to be a sharp, witty and funny outsider's view of Britain (that's how it was reviewed). While there were some very funny bits, his observation on Britain were cantankerous and petty, and no different from any other middle-aged grump's 'things ain't what they used to be'. You really cannot travel to Wales in the offest season of all off-seasons and then complain that most of the tourist attractions are closed!

The worst disappointment ever was probably The Horse Whisperer. My favourite radio presenter raved about it, but I found it sentimental and contrived.

Most recently, the fifth - and for me, final - Harry Potter. I had enjoyed the first three so much that I did not foresee Rowling's descent into whininess and bad writing.

• mwoods
    18 years ago

Another Never Let Me Go fan here too. One book I really wanted to like but just couldn't get into it was One Hundred Years Of Solitude. I tried several times because of all the raves from people I highly respect but it was a no go.

• wrmjr
    18 years ago

For me, it was Gone with the Wind. I thought it would have been much better had an editor cut its length in half. I didn't find any of the characters sympathetic or--worse yet--interesting. To this day, it is the only case I can think of where the movie is much better than the book.

Russ

• frances_md
    18 years ago

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. Based on so many great reviews on RP, I ordered all four of the books that existed at the time all at once because I knew I would love them. After barely making it through Outlander I took it and the other three, unread, to the library for their book sale.

• georgia_peach
    18 years ago

For me, it was Donna Tartt's "The Secret History." I thought I'd love this book, but never made it past the first chapter. I often think it was just a case of right book, wrong time and perhaps I should pick it up again, but... too many books are already in the TBR pile right now.

• friedag
    18 years ago

All you great readers, does it seem sometimes to you that it's so much easier to dislike a book than to really like one?

I'm another who thinks Memoirs of a Geisha is a dud. No, it's worse than that. I viscerally loathed it the first time I read it, but when I heard that so many other readers liked it I thought I better give it another chance. No luck. It left a dent in my wall. I don't think I'll bother with the film, either.

• woodnymph2_gw
    18 years ago

Whereas I adored "The Secret History...." There's no accounting for taste.

I truly expected to like Phillippa Gregory's "The Virgin's Lover" but could not get interested in it.

I had long wanted to read Jared Diamond's "Collapse" because I'd heard how comprehensive it was and from my interests, it seemed "right up my alley." Quel disappointment! The style was just too long-winded and dry for my taste. I kept getting bogged down and finally returned it to the library, having learned a little about Vikings in Greenland.

Likewise "Never Let Me Go" and "Cold Comfort Farm." Both failed to grab my attention.

• venusia_
    18 years ago

I bought into the JS & MN hype and it fell out of my hands at 80 pages.

Couldn't finish A Confederacy of Dunces and The Reivers. Both were pegged as extremely funny (not to me), but I hated the style.

After LOTR, was prepared to love The Chronicles of Narnia, but was extremely repelled by LWW, in addition to finding it badly written and gave up at number two.

Never read Memoirs of a Geisha or The Historian, or The Red Tent, because I sensed I would hate them, and generally try to stay away from overhyped book club books.

• sherwood38
    18 years ago

I have managed to avoid many of the books mentioned above because I knew they wouldn't appeal to me-the Historian - Geisha etc. I do have the Jonathon Strange book sitting here-managed to get to page 160-barely.

I did not care for Passage by Connie Willis-never understood why people thought it was so good...I have the pback sitting here if anyone wants it? (I did enjoy the Red Tent!). I didn't like The Three Junes either!

Pat

• ccrdmrbks
    18 years ago

The Secret Life of Bees

• dynomutt
    18 years ago

Ok, where do I start? I'd say most of Umberto Eco's books. I loved his The Name of the Rose and his Foucault's Pendulum was intriguing. His Baudalino was such a disappointment that I never finished it. And his Island From the Day Before seemed incomprehensible. I really tried but ... I just couldn't get myself to like it or even FINISH it.

I've pretty much given up on him.

Oh, and some of the Thieves' World series were good and I really wanted to enjoy the later books but I just couldn't.

• lizny
    18 years ago

Several years ago, our book club read The Lovely Bones. I was so disappointed with the book after so many people said they loved it.

• devorah
    18 years ago

I couldn't finish Lovely Bones and that is so rare for me. I thought I was the only one.

• cindydavid4
    18 years ago

Hee, brenda, we are exact opposite. I started reading Gaiman with Good Omen, written with Terry Pratchett, and have read and loved every novel since. So after Anansi Boys, I decided to try the comic books. Um no. I think its the reading style more than the writing, actually.

>The hero seemed whiny and passive,

Yeah, but he was supposed to be, in contrast to his smoother brother.

> "Never Let Me Go" by Kazuo Ishiguro. Another was "Memoirs of a Geisha

Ditto. I read the first for a reading group and hated every second of it. The second one I expected to like, and found it dull beyond imagining

And I so agree about Historian. This book was so up my alley - history, Europe, books - and I think I stopped reading at the 3rd or 4th story within the story...Another book that I should have loved was Outlander, yeck! What dreck! And Red Tent - if I was told one more time what the red tent was for I was going to toss it through a windowless wall.

>(Ansay's Vinegar Hill being the most recent one),

I loved her first one "Midnight Champagne", so bought this in hard cover thinking it would be as good. Gack - Vinegar is the perfect title for it.

Two others that I thought would be great coz I loved the author's previous books were Specimen Days and City of Falling Angels. What disappointments!

• woodnymph2_gw
    18 years ago

Because I'd liked "Secret Life of Bees" I expected to like "Mermaid's Chair." I was terribly disappointed and barely could read her second novel. It was wildly improbable and schmaltzy, IMO.

• ccrdmrbks
    18 years ago

"It was wildly improbable and schmaltzy, IMO. "
    That's how I felt about The Secret Life of Bees
    but I was the lone dissenter in my book club.
    I really enjoyed Girl With Pearl Earring but have not been able to finish any of her other books.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    18 years ago

I have given up on book reviews. Not really, but at least paperbackswap.com allows me to indulge without too much guilt.
    Our library doesn't carry many of the books I read about here so I have another outlet.

Big time recent disappointments: Never Let me Go, Three Junes, Cold Comfort Farm and Notes from a Small Island.

I did love the Historian, however!

I still write down books that are praised but with a jaundiced eye. I probably will read Cloud Atlas someday.

• tangerine_z6
    18 years ago

Six Wives: The Queens of Henry VIII. Sob, and I had so looked forward to it. I found the style of writing tedious and difficult to follow.

The Lovely Bones

William Faulkner
    Philip Roth

I know there are more.

• isabax
    18 years ago

Ain't diversity great? Because I loved "Never Let Me Go" and the earlier "Remains of the Day" I picked up "When We Were Orphans" with great anticipation. What a disappointment--I never did understand what it was about, which is not necessarily a deal killer if the read is fun. It wasn't.

Now Tangerine, I don't see how anyone could help but love Roth--every word he writes, but totally agree that Faulkner is inscrutable. One of the great joys of maturity is not having to pretend you like Faulkner. Next decade I will try again. That's when I will try Joyce and Proust again.

• annpan
    18 years ago

I was so disappointed in "Marrying the Mistress" by Joanna Trollope. Enjoyed other of her books but this one was very poor. I am the same age as the wife in the story so disagreed with the premise that she had to give up work on marriage and became just a housewife. Rubbish! I worked in the Civil Service and a lot of the women in good positions were married, so were teachers etc.
    I was so cross that I posted a review on a website about it! I seem to recall that the focus was not on any one character and the plot hopped all over the place.

• bookmom41
    Original Author
    18 years ago

"Six Wives" was another which disappointed me. I saw it in the library on CD and thought about giving it another try, then thought why bother?

Strangely enough, I did enjoy "The Historian" despite it using the same device of keeping the reader in an artificial suspense, sort of like not talking about the elephant in the room, as did "Never Let Me Go" which I disliked. Well, I never claimed to be rational or consistent.

• biwako_of_abi
    18 years ago

I read Never Let Me Go, too, but must not have been impressed, because I can't recall a thing about it now.

• grelobe
    18 years ago

mine disappointment was "The Five People You Meet In Heaven" by Albon Mitch.
    I read a good reviews made by readers in on line bookshop here in Italy and both the cover and the title intrigued me, but what a letdown it was.
    In short the author explains how each ours act can effects, even years later, other lifes and fates. But it was told in a very banal way. (in my humble opinion)
    Lion King when explains about the circle of life to his son Simba, is much deeper.
    The only merit I found reading the book was; that it is a very short one

grelobe

• cindydavid4
    18 years ago

I was expecting better as well, but after a few pages I tossed it aside. Then I learned the guy was a sports writer. Ok, that makes sense.

The only Trollope I liked was Spanish Lover. Tried some others and they just didn't click for me.

• Chris_in_the_Valley
    18 years ago

Any of Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels. I thought they would be right up my alley and they weren't. They just never charmed me. Pleasant enough, but not special. I suspect it is because for the most part, Piers Anthony told me similar stories earlier.

• biwako_of_abi
    18 years ago

Oh, yes, Chris! Pratchett is another author I thought, from the way people raved about him, that I would love, but I couldn't stand his brand of humor.
    I can't even say his Discworld novels were "pleasant enough"!

• anyanka
    18 years ago

Count me in on the Pratchett disappointment. A couple of people whose tastes I usually share are big Discworld fans, so I was sure I'd enjoy the novels too. 'Reaper Man' was very funny (death takes a holiday), but the other two or three I tried seemed very formulaic and just too plain silly.

• cindydavid4
    18 years ago

Oh, I so love Discworld. I got my first taste of Pratchett in the book he wrote with Neil Gaiman Good Omen, and fell in love, and later got hooked on his others. Lately Pratchett's Disc books have been less enjoyable - he has a tendency to want to hit you over the head with his message - but his first ones were great fun. But like you, I know other folks who just can't take him, but love the same sci/fantasy stuff that I do.

Piers Anthony was like that for my DH. When we were first going together, he was browsing through my books and wanted to know what this one shelf was all about. Well, it was Xanth. I told him how I devoured them in college, and that he'd no doubt love them. So he took the whole shelf home with him. It was a while before I asked him what he thought, and he sheepishly said 'will you hate me if I tell you I couldn't stomach passed the first?" Well of course not - but then I decided to have a re-read. Oh my gawd. Pretty horrid. But wonderful memories.