SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rouan101

For Jane Austen Fans

rouan
11 years ago

I was reading a blog yesterday and found a link to the Lizzy Bennet Diaries v-log. I spent a good part of yesterday and today following it and now that I'm caught up on it (it's up to the point after Darcy has proposed to Elizabeth and she's beginning to realize that maybe he's not so bad after all), I thought I'd pass it along my friends at RP.

It's a modern day take on Pride & Prejudice with Lizzy vlogging about her life and family. The story is followed well but in a modern way. The situations are changed a little to work with today's society but it all works. I liked all the characters but I have to say they did a great job with the character of Lydia; she made me laugh over and over again. I think this is well done and I can't wait until they resume with the next segment.

I hope you all like it too! :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Lizzy Bennett Diaries

Comments (56)

• janalyn
    11 years ago

That is one of my fav's too. I think Rosefolly got me reading McKinley and she suggested the book, too.

• donnamira
    11 years ago

Rouan & Janalyn, have you tried Octavia Butler's Fledgling? It's a different take on vampires, and one that stands up to re-reads. I was a bit disappointed in McKinley's book.

To stay on topic, I did attempt to check out the Austen v-log site, but my Firefox and Adobe Flash crashed on it. :(

• Related Discussions

Will You Watch Four Hours of 'Emma'?

Q

Comments (14)
    I'm thoroughly enjoying this version. I have such a fondness for these period pieces - the wonderful costumes, the charming little villages, the magnificent homes and furnishings, the horse drawn carriages.... This one is particularly well done. Even though I've read the book several times and seen other versions it's great fun to watch the drama play out. It's also a little easier on the eyes- the costumes and hairstyles are very becoming, they appeal to the modern eye better than the authentic period ones do.
    ...See More

Jane Austen, where should I start?

Q

Comments (7)
    I guess this shows I am in the minority! I found Mansfield Park the most interesting of Austen books with a much smaller cast of characters to keep track of and actually more interesting & less frivolous characters. Plus I thought Fanny was the nicest of all Austen's 'heroines' and had the least expectations of life. Pat
    ...See More

Jane Austen books discussion???

Q

Comments (20)
    -annpan that is an AMAZING story! Vanity Fair is one of my favorites for several reasons. First is that I adore Thackeray's subtle condescending humor. Second is that this book changed me in some ways. I am sure that sounds funny (especially considering what book it is), but it is true. I know someone who is a lot like Becky Sharpe, but worse. I was fooled by this person for a long time. Perhaps I simply choose to ignore how truly cruel they were. I also found myself being rather like Mrs. Bute Crawley (aka. 'the toady') to this person. I did not like seeing myself this way. So I changed, and can now see the person for who they are. As a book, Vanity Fair had its faults. One was how there were a great many parts in which nothing happened. It was certainly not the most exciting book to read, but I enjoyed the humor. And I appreciate its effect on me. Have you read anything else by Thackeray? I have read 'The History of Henry Esmond Esq'. I didn't much care for it. It was hard to get into, especially since I did not know much of that particular time in English history. I plan to read 'The Memoirs of Barry Lyndon' in the future. There is also a book about Thackeray at the library I plan to read someday. It is called 'Memoirs of a Victorian Gentleman: William Thackeray", by Margaret Forster. I have not seen the TV program of Vanity Fair. I have only seen the movie with Miss Witherspoon. I did not care for it. Thackerays special 'moralizing' wit was lost on it. CMK
    ...See More

Jane Austen and Pakistan

Q

Comments (4)
    An interesting article . . . but . . . its light hearted nature can't entirely detract from the reality of the lives of the huge majority of girls and young women in modern day Pakistan. Perhaps given another two hundred years they may be where we are today.
    ...See More
  • sheriz6
    11 years ago

OK, in a complete fit of geekdom, I binge-watched the whole thing over the past two days ... it's adorable, very clever and now I can't wait for the next new episode on January 7th. (Spoiler alert: Darcy finally makes an appearance in episode 60.)

Thank you again, Rouan! This is so much fun.

• rouan
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm glad you liked it. I can't wait for the next episode too. Have you checked out the Lydia Bennett diaries? I was trying to figure out when Kitty makes her first appearance, she shows up in the Lydia vlog, did I miss it in one of the the Lizzie Bennett episodes?

• sheriz6
    11 years ago

Rouan, there was definitely a mention of Kitty in one of the Lizzie vlogs -- I don't remember where, though. I haven't watched the Lydia ones yet, but I will.

So far, I've loved the casting -- for everyone but Darcy! I haven't seen enough of him yet to really decide what I think of the actor/look/interpretation, but my initial reaction was that he wasn't quite powerful or irresistible enough -- though to be honest, I'm still thinking Colin Firth here, so ... maybe I'm just old? What did you think?

• rouan
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I wasn't impressed with Darcy either. Perhaps he'll improve as we see more of him. Actually, I thought her imitation of him as a robot was pretty much spot on!

• rosefolly
    11 years ago

I'm a couple dozen episodes into it. Early on narrator said that she has two sisters, Lydia and Jane. I assumed they dropped Kitty and Mary to simplify the story and reduce the number of characters each actress has to portray. If Kitty shows up that will be quite a surprise to me. And no Mr Collins at this point, which does rather surprise me.

• salix
    11 years ago

Rouan, can't remember which episode, but Kitty is the name of Lydia's cat, after the ?demise of her pony Mr. ?Whuffles. Thank you again for linking to the vlog, I am very much enjoying it.

• salix
    11 years ago

Rouan, can't remember which episode, but Kitty is the name of Lydia's cat, after the ?demise of her pony Mr. ?Whuffles. Thank you again for linking to the vlog, I am very much enjoying it.

• sheriz6
    11 years ago

Rosefolly, Mary becomes a cousin, and Kitty becomes a cat. Mr. Collins will arrive shortly.

(It's ridiculous how much I'm enjoying this!)

• rosefolly
    11 years ago

Aha! I definitely will continue. This is quite clever, and more fun than zombies or vampires, which really annoy me when connected to Austen. I found those unreadable.

Rosefolly

• sheriz6
    11 years ago

I just saw the new episodes this week and I'm beginning to like the actor playing Darcy a bit more. I think he has potential. The rest of the cast has been so spot-on, I'm hoping he will work out.

I've loved the modernization of the story. So clever! I'm still trying to figure out what sort of modern scandal Lydia and Wickham will cook up. My guess is it will be some kind of -- oh, shall we say "indiscreet"? -- video of Lydia that goes viral. IMO that would be a perfect problem for Darcy and Pemberley Digital to remedy.

For anyone just starting, make sure you watch the Lydia videos, too. The creators have really covered all the media bases and then some -- I've found Facebook pages and twitter accounts for the main characters. More than I really want to follow, but the Facebook pages make it easy to find the newest videos.

• rouan
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sheriz6,

I think you may be right about Lydia and Wickham. My guess is that it has to do with whatever happened in Vegas! I also agree that Darce is more likeable and less robotic. I can't wait for the next episode. Maybe tomorrow?

• colleenoz
    11 years ago

Oh, this is delightful! Thanks for posting it!

• sheriz6
    11 years ago

Rouan, yes, Mondays and Thursdays, I think. Plus the Lydia ones.

Thank you again so much for sharing this, it's wonderful!

• fairlight47
    11 years ago

Thank you Rouan! I am an avid Austen fan and can't wait to see this tonite.

• rouan
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm glad you are all enjoying it as much as I am. :)

• martin_z
    11 years ago

My 15 yr old daughter is addicted to this - she's been following it, as far as I can tell, pretty well since it started. I get running commentaries twice a week...

(She loves P&P as well...)

Me, I watched the first few episodes, and I found the whole jerky way of doing things very annoying. Call me old-fashioned....

• colleenoz
    11 years ago

Darn! I'm all caught up now and have to wait for the next installment :-(
    What gets me is the number of commenters who seem to think these are real people and post advice and discuss as if this is an actual real life vlog.....

• sheriz6
    11 years ago

New Lydia vlog today ... and I can't wait to see what Lizzie will be up to on Thursday! The actor playing Darcy is growing on me, especially as he starts to thaw a little.

Love this!

• sheriz6
    11 years ago

I knew it! If you haven't already, check out today's Lizzy vlog.

• rouan
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sheriz6,

I was afraid it would be something along those lines (but I thought it would just be a video of something that happened in Vegas) especially as Whickham is a nastier creature in this version than he is in the original. And if they stay true to the story Lydia will still end up with him...sigh.

• sheriz6
    11 years ago

Rouan, I'm very curious to see how this will play out. Perhaps in this version they won't end up together? In the book, the family's honor depended on the marriage, it would certainly be the opposite in this case.

Darcy is definitely growing on me, I really liked him in this last vlog.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    11 years ago

Hi folks, this is my first time on this forum and this is the only thread I've clicked on so far. I found the Lizzie Bennet's Diaries link above and watched all 84 episodes last night (til 3:00 in the morning!)--not bad for a 70 year old, huh?

Anyway, I have a question--being new to blogs and things like that. When and where do I find the continuing episodes? I think it has been a couple weeks since Episode 84--so where are the rest?

Appreciate any help you can give on how to continue enjoying the Diaries.

Kate

• rouan
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Welcome Kate, we're glad to have you join us.

To get to the new episodes I go to Google and type Lizzie Bennett Diaries in; from there it gives me the option of choosing to watch it on tumbler or you tube. Either works just fine. You may also want to watch the Lydia Bennett diaries (Lee Dee Ya Bennett is the one I click on when I do a search to find her) as well as a couple of short term ones like Maria Lu's and Gigi's Pemberly Digital .

The new Lizzie Bennett vlogs come out on Monday and Thursday, the Lydia ones (now replaced by the Pemberly Digital ones) come out on Tuesday and Friday. If you are really ambitious about following , there are also twitter accounts for the characters but you don't have to follow those to keep up with the story.

I sometimes read the comments that are responses to the vlogs, it's amazing how involved people get with the characters. It's as if they think the characters are real people and the vlogs are telling about real events.

• sheriz6
    11 years ago

Welcome Kate!

You can also go directly to the Lizzie Bennett Diaries website, which in turn links to all the additional things Rouan described. The newest postings are listed on the right hand side. The link is below.

I was happy to see Jane again in the newest one.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lizzie Bennett homepage

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    11 years ago

Thank you sheri and rouan. I found the new episode and enjoyed it--but I also found out it is very different just watching one episode as opposed to glutting out on 84 episodes all in one time period!

But that is how I usually read a good novel--big chunks at one time--read until I'm too tired to continue or, back before I retired, until I had to go to work--aha! Don't think I ever did read a novel one chapter at one sitting.

Wonder if I would have become as involved with the story if I had to limit myself to one episode per week or some such schedule--but rouan, you noted that some of the commentators get very involved in the lives of the Bennett girls, so I guess it works its magic, however we do it.

Very interesting watching Jane "mature" into an independent and discerning woman, and the portrayal of Lizzie, "confined" again to her spot before the camera in her bedroom, as someone reluctant to leave behind the smaller spaces of her family's world --and needing to "move on" with her life like everyone else has.

And thank goodness Charlotte has indeed become a loving but self-sufficient woman. It's one thing to tolerate Mr. Collins as your boss, but certainly not your husband!

I'm curious to see where they take Lydia's story. It has always occurred to me that Lydia is the true "independent" woman in Jane Austen's world, but even Jane Austen didn't have the nerve to portray her as "heroine" material, although Austen certainly wasn't going to abandon Lydia to die in a gutter because she had become a "fallen woman." Seems to me Lydia should be portrayed as the "free spirit"--unconventional and rebellious, charting her own path through life--maybe to become a stage performer, the first Madonna or Lady GaGa of the Jane Austen world (with a sensational nude video in her background even!).

What do you think?

Kate

• sheriz6
    11 years ago

Kate, I agree with your assessment of Lydia, and I'm very curious to see how her fate plays out here. Obviously, marriage to Wickham won't be in the cards. Perhaps she'll wind up owning all his domain names and sell them for a fortune and save her family.

I think this version of Lydia is much more likable than Austen's. I thought the original Lydia was self-centered, impulsive, and probably not very smart, despite being somewhat charming and wild. I never felt she thought much about Jane and Elizabeth nor that she cared very much what any member of her family thought. She could become Mrs. Wickham and I didn't expect much else from her.

This Lydia is much stronger, definitely smarter, and despite her impulsiveness, has a good heart and cares about what her family thinks. I suspect this Lydia will end up quite differently.

I also binge-watched the first 80 or so episodes, and I agree, it's very hard to wait for the new ones.

• rouan
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I binge watched the first 70+ episodes too and couldn't wait for the next ones to come out..

I have enjoyed watching the characters mature and become stronger women. My heart bleeds at the thought that this Lydia will end up with Wickham; I like her so much more than the original one. I'd love to see her with an alternate ending, happier and closer to her family but I don't see it happening. Not if the writers want to stay fairly true to the original story at any rate. Although they did let Charlotte have a better life, so maybe there is hope for Lydia after all!

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    11 years ago

Just watched Episode 87: Lydia is fully tormented and repentant--unlike her original in the novel. Lizzie is beating herself up for not understanding and being there for Lydia--unlike her original in the novel who's comeupance had to do with her failure to understand and appreciate the true goodness of Darcy.

Sooooo---still wondering where this videoblog is heading. We seem to be on a different path than Austen marked out.

I predict: the video-blog will end when Lizzie concludes that it kept her too self-absorbed and living in her private virtual world. Time to go out and meet the world and interact with it in "real" ways. She will marry Darce --can't duplicate Charlotte's story of just working for the male--besides, viewers wouldn't forgive a permanent separation? But it will be an unconventional marriage--both pursuing careers maybe?

2nd Prediction: Jane will NOT marry Bing Lee. She has outgrown him and has a career to pursue in the fashion industry.

Lydia Prediction? I just do not know. She still loves Wickham--so possibly they will patch up something between them and she will tolerate his "escapades"? Not the ending I want, but I wonder if we are not heading there?

What do you think?

Kate

• sheriz6
    11 years ago

Spoilers ahead if you haven't see the newest Gigi videos that posted yesterday ----
    --
    --
    --
    I watched the "Domino" vblogs yesterday, and at one point Gigi contacts Wickham who insists the sex tape was stolen and he has nothing to do with it. While * I * don't believe that for a moment, other posters on the Youtube page suggested that Caroline Bingley may have something to do with releasing the tape and Wickham might not be the monster he seems to be. The various posters were a bit fuzzy on what her motivation would be, but clearly the fan base loathes her and there's still room for the redemption of Mr. W. Would such a situation allow Lydia and Wickham to live happily ever after?

I'm having a very hard time imagining how this will resolve.

Kate, I will cheerfully disagree with your prediction for Jane and Bing, I think she will marry him. She's now lost her job since she came home to shore up Lydia, and my impression remains that she still loves him. Plus, Bing isn't a bad guy, and he's clearly still pining for her. They just need to cross paths again. I need to refresh my memory on when/where/how this happens in the original P&P.

As for Darcy and Lizzie -- he's already said he loves her, there is no doubt in my mind they will marry.

As much as I like this Lydia vs. the careless original, I have to say I am ready to move on from these super-emotional sister-bonding vlogs. I miss Charlotte and costume theater and Lizzie's old spirited commentary. Time to lighten up and rev the story back to life and to the finish line!

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    11 years ago

sheri--it's been a long time since I read P&P, but I seem to remember that the BBC version followed the novel quite closely. If so, I do remember that after Lizzie turned down Darcy's proposal, he started changing his attitude and quietly making amends and after he rescues Lydia from her marriage-less situation, Darcy informs Bingley that he/Darcy was mistaken about Jane--and shortly thereafter, they both turn up again in Lizzie's home town and start "calling" again at the Bennet home--presumably, Bingley wants to see if Jane is still carrying a torch (and I'd guess Darcy is wondering how Elizabeth feels about him also). They all walk to town, and while we don't listen to the Jane-Bingley conversation like we do to Elizabeth-Darcy dialogue as they straighten out all misunderstandings between themselves, we are given to understand that Jane-Bingley are doing the same thing.

I do remember the book then has a long "summary" section telling us how the couples marry and remain best friends--and sometimes even interact with Lydia and give her gifts of money because her husband Wickham is perennially running short, even after the generous settlement Darcy made upon him and Lydia. Earlier novels had that habit of summarizing what happened for the next 20 years after the plot was officially resolved--remember?

I'm eager to see how the video-blog will handle all those "lose ends." : )

Kate

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    11 years ago

Just finished watching Episode #88.

Don't know what I think. Nice sentimental one in which Lydia asks if she can hang around Lizzie more and be friends. OK --that's nice, but I did like Lydia's slam about the story/blog has been getting too emtional lately. Yes--I'm getting tired of waiting to see what happens!

As nice as Lydia is becoming, I'm giving up on my hopes that she would break ties with the past and strike out on a truly independent path all her own, fulfilling all her potential in ways that perhaps even Jane Austen herself would not have imagined.

I truly hoped something path-breaking would occur. But back to same ol', same ol'? Guess so.

What do you other fans think?

Kate

• sheriz6
    11 years ago

New Lizzie vlog is up today (ep. 89). I hope after this one we are poised for the Return Of Bing -- fingers crossed!

Here is a link that might be useful: Episode 89

• rouan
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sheriz6, I think we are. I read on one of the tumbler posts that something was said about ending the story with episode 100 and we are very close to that.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    11 years ago

Just watched #89--definitely preparing for Bing's return--but we haven't had the big blow-up between Lizzie and Darce's aunt--so we have several tangles that still need to be untangled--oh, and not a hint what will happen to Lydia. I'm still back and forth on what will happen to Lydia.

In some ways I think I preferred watching 20-30 (or more) episodes in one sitting. These short bits are frustrating me--or maybe it is just because the end is fast approaching, but the short episodes aren't moving very fast.

Kate

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    11 years ago

OK--just watched the latest episode--what is it? #91?

And we were all right.

Jane is going to have a career and be an independent woman!

But she will evidently also get to have Bing--providing he doesn't get in the way of her career!

So I was right and you were right. Now, how does Lizzie reconcile with Darce? And what will be Lydia's future? I predict in her case that she will become a truly "free spirit" and make a name for herself as a public speaker for women's rights!

Think?

Kate

• sheriz6
    11 years ago

Hooray! Finally we get the Jane and Bing happily-ever-after! I was getting worried about half way through, but it all worked out, and with a nicely modern twist, too. I had to laugh when Bing said he'd left med school, since quite a few commentators on various websites had pointed out that Bing had an awful lot of free time for a med student. Now we know why :)

I can't wait for Lizzie to cross paths with Darcy again. No doubt in my mind they'll be together.

Lydia, on the other hand .... I have no idea what's in store for her in this version.

And it looks like Charlotte will be in the next episode -- time for Catherine de Bourgh to rear her opinionated head, I think.

• rouan
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I like how they resolved the Jane/Bing relationship with Jane staying the strong, independent woman she has grown into and Bing accepting that as well as showing that he can grow and change too.

I am eagerly awaiting the return of Charlotte. My guess is that she will be the one who tells Lizzie about Darcy taking down Wickham's website. There are only a few episodes left to resolve the unfinished questions. I do want an update on Lydia, I liked her character in this version of P &P and hope her story isn't left unresolved.

• sheriz6
    11 years ago

New episode today, we're nearing the end. I cannot wait to see what Thursday brings!

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    11 years ago

Predictable--but when you have to wait 98 episodes (as well as many pages in the book), it is--oh, so satisfying--isn't it!

Well done--but I'm still wondering if we will hear more about Lydia's future. Will she run off with the creep--which the novel would seem to require--or do we get a NEW LYDIA, the upcoming modern woman striking out on her own? (Which is the one change I would make--but then I was never fond of whatshisface!)

Kate

• rouan
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Kate, I agree, I want a more satisfactory ending for Lydia.

Also the creators of this have announced a new venture coming out in the summer. It's going to have Gigi Darcy ( the character from TLBD) going to a
    town by the name of Sanditon and doing stories of its inhabitants.

• sheriz6
    11 years ago

There's a cute Q&A up today (Sunday) with both Lizzie and Darcy.

I agree, Kate, after waiting for sooooooo many episodes, the happily-ever-after kiss was very satisfying.

Now, perhaps a little resolution for Lydia on Monday?

• sheriz6
    11 years ago

The last episode is up today (#100). What fun this has been, I'm tempted to go back and watch them all again.

Here is a link that might be useful: Goodbye: episode 100

• rouan
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sheriz6, that's exactly what I intend to do!

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    11 years ago

What do you think? I think the last episode (#100) was a real let-down. Very disappointing--especially providing no ending for Lydia.

Though I'm glad Charlotte is now the big "C."

Kate

• rjvt
    11 years ago

Could Lydia end up in Sanditon? Wishful thinking?

• rouan
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It would be a way to resolve her story better, the LBD left her hanging a bit.

• sheriz6
    11 years ago

There's a little postscript up today -- I am so sad to see it end, this was fun to have!

I've been wandering through some of the links and fan commentary on the various sites, and it's amazing how much has been built up around this. Some of the Lizzy/Darcy artwork that's been posted is amazingly good!

Here is a link that might be useful: LBD Postscript

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    11 years ago

The Kitty Bennett Diaries? Is she allowed to have her own story? (just joking)

At least maybe we would get to hear more about Lydia.

Kate