The Last Jane Austen . . .
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (25)
- 7 years ago
Related Discussions
For Jane Austen Fans
Comments (56)Predictable--but when you have to wait 98 episodes (as well as many pages in the book), it is--oh, so satisfying--isn't it! Well done--but I'm still wondering if we will hear more about Lydia's future. Will she run off with the creep--which the novel would seem to require--or do we get a NEW LYDIA, the upcoming modern woman striking out on her own? (Which is the one change I would make--but then I was never fond of whatshisface!) Kate...See MoreJane Austen and Me
Comments (30)Persuasion is my favorite, too. I love the theme of second chances in a life that has turned out to be disappointing. It has a bittersweet quality that has always appealed to me. Having said that, I really do like them all. Mansfield Park is fascinating to me. Some of the moral issues that are being weighed in the book seem trivial to modern sensibilities, others are timeless; but I like its exploration of what it is that makes a good person, and how easily the world overlooks these true qualities. Northanger Abbey is the lightest novel she wrote. If you grew up reading Victoria Holt and similar writers as I did, you will laugh at this wonderful spoof of the gothic novel, popular in Austen's day as well as the 1960's and 70's. Sense and Sensibility is a story of two sisters who embody the extremes of a debate going on in Austen's own time. Marianne (Sensibility) stands for the Romantic movement, all emotion and aesthetic experience and the sublime experience of nature. Elinor (Sense) expresses the values of the Enlightenment, self-discipline, prudence, knowledge, and moral virtue. Each one has something the others lack, and in the story, they both learn this. I love this book, too. Emma you already know, a story of just how wrong an intelligent, overly confident young woman can be. And Pride and Prejudice you are reading now. I'm thinking that pretty soon it will be time for me to re-read Austen yet again. Rosefolly...See MoreJane Austen Festival 2012
Comments (35)Sewing is very popular in Australia. Plenty of places to buy machines, fabrics and general haberdashery. I don't sew now but used to make clothes for my daughter, mainly simple sleeveless shifts which were from an easy pattern and could be adapted to use small remnants which were sold cheaply. It is now so reasonable to buy children's clothes from China that it isn't worth the bother! I made a couple of Regency items for our 150th Anniversary of settlement in Western Australia but cheated by remodelling a Laura Ashley print long dress and cut up another short one for a spenser. A straw sunhat cut and resewn at the back to a bonnet shape with long ribbons completed the outfit! I was so lucky in Bath getting to stay in a room in the Royal Crescent and being shown over the house with its curved sitting room. I felt like a Heyer heroine!...See MoreJane Austen, where should I start?
Comments (7)I guess this shows I am in the minority! I found Mansfield Park the most interesting of Austen books with a much smaller cast of characters to keep track of and actually more interesting & less frivolous characters. Plus I thought Fanny was the nicest of all Austen's 'heroines' and had the least expectations of life. Pat...See More- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
Related Stories

HOUZZ TOURSMy Houzz: A Jane Austen-Inspired Home in a Historic Tannery
A Maryland couple stay true to their home’s historic roots
Full Story
FURNITUREHow to Buy a Quality Sofa That Will Last
Learn about foam versus feathers, seat depth, springs, fabric and more for a couch that will work for years to come
Full Story
FURNITUREYour Essential Sofa Buying Guide
Here’s what to consider when looking for a quality sofa that will last
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDES10 All-Foliage Container Ideas for Your Summer Garden
These long-lasting plants are easy to care for and add lushness and consistency to patio gardens
Full Story
LANDSCAPE DESIGNInside Houzz: Divine Proportions Make for a Dream Landscape
Spirals based on the golden ratio give a Washington yard out-of-this-world appeal, at the hands of a designer found on Houzz
Full Story
LIFEDecluttering — How to Get the Help You Need
Don't worry if you can't shed stuff and organize alone; help is at your disposal
Full Story
EDIBLE GARDENSA Formerly Weedy Lot Now Brims With Edibles and Honeybees
Photographers transform their barren backyard into an oasis filled with fruit, vegetables, honey, eggs and more
Full Story
LIGHTINGGuest Picks: 20 Fabulous Ceiling Lights
Replace those boring overhead light fixtures with flush mounts that shine with personality
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNSweet Ideas and a Truffle Recipe from a Chocolatier's Test Kitchen
A $2,100 budget didn't mean a half-baked kitchen redo; this confectioner just rolled up her sleeves and rolled out the improvements
Full Story
annpanagain