SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
christinmk

Austen inspired books- for or against? like or dislike?

This is really a twofold question.

Every time I go into a bookstore I seem to see another book thats inspired by Jane Austen. It's overwhelming how many of them there are, so many that I can't even recall the names of most. Theres some that are continuating stories of Austen's characters and some that are set in modern time and have parallels to hers in romance. I read somewhere that there is even a series of books that revolve around the spinster Austen, who goes around her hometown solving mysteries.

There was a recent post about the movie Becoming Jane. I said that I thought (and still do) it was wrong to go distorting the story of Austen. That got me to thinking. Do you think its wrong to go and take the characters of another's book and use them to make your own story? I never thought of this before, but now think that it IS wrong. I would not like it if someone took the characters (and plot) of my book and did whatever they liked with them and changed my whole vision. To me, it just seems wrong and unethical to do that.

Its one thing to build off of someones idea and continue it, its another to steal them. I think its okay to write a FACTUAL biography of Jane Austen, and even a book discussing her writing and situations and characters in her books.

I can see how Jane Austin could inspire ones actual style of writing (how could writers NOT be inspired by her?).

I could also understand it if someone was writing a book in the same time period of Jane Austen to use her books to make your own more facutal, such as in the habits, manners, and modes of living of the people of that time.

Of course I can understand WHY someone would write books like this. I remember when I first read some of Austen's books as a teenager I daydreamed about being in it myself. I still even daydream about what happened to the married couples after the book ended...but I leave it at that, daydreaming.

But What do you think? Do you think it falls into the category of 'imitation is the sincerest form of flattery', or do you think that this is bordering on the plageristic? You must admit that, at the very least, it shows a great want of imagination on the author's part.

OK! Now onto the second, and lighter, question.

It would be very unjust of me to criticize these 'Austen inspired' books without even having read any of them.

As of now I have read four such books. Three by Elizabeth Aston (am I the only one that wonders if thats her name is real or not?) and Shannon Hale.

I read several of Aston's books several years ago. I started with 'Mr. Darcy's Daughters' (which I belive is supposed to be the first). I actually thought it was all right. Not great, but a good light read. Some things struck me as rather out of place for the time period. I thought the book would have been ten times better if Aston would have set the plot in a much later date (which would make more sence with the activities of the characters).

'The Exploits and Adventures of Miss Alethia...

Comments (18)