SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lemonhead101

Did anyone else see Downton Abbey?

lemonhead101
13 years ago

Just wondering whether anyone else watched the first episode of the ITV costume period drama, Downton Abbey? Set between the two wars, it looks at both the upstairs and downstairs of running a large stately home.

It has a huge cast of characters, but it was intriguing and I am looking forward to the next episode on Sunday..

Here is a link that might be useful: Downton Abbey

Comments (124)

• woodnymph2_gw
    11 years ago

Carolyn, I cannot get the PBS station on my TV since relocating here, so I have to rely either upon the library bookmobile or Netflix, which my friend has. He got the Kibworth series from Netflix.

• lemonhead101
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We watched the Kibworth series and loved it. I might have got it through the library. Or perhaps Netflix. It's worth the effort.

And my mum says we'll like The Village... I asked if it was along the same lines as Cider with Rosie, and she said that Americans might think so... (whatever that means.) .....

• Related Discussions

Anna's Promise (Downton Abbey Rose)

Q

Comments (13)
    I recieved this rose from Publishers Clearing House Plus another one I can't remember the nqme but it was another Downton Abby rose. Both roses bloomed all summer long. infact they are still blooming. they are beautiful one has the most wounderful smell th
    ...See More

Downton Abbey Season 5!

Q

Comments (40)
    Marie cate I'm an hour and half away. I'm waiting for someone to get back to me to confirm which date she's available to go but I want to go soon. We went to see the Grace Kelly exhibit (in Doylestown) last January and the weather was a nightmare. I want to go sooner versus later so we don't repeat that. The Xmas decor will be up after the 22nd, I think. Kswl, I still longingly recall a plaid coat Mary wore in a hunting scene, the first year I believe. It would be great if that is included in the exhibit, I'd love to see it up close. Something about the tailoring on that just really grabbed me. Of course I'm not built anything like her. I'd look like a fire plug wrapped in a plaid blanket.
    ...See More

Downton Abbey questions

Q

Comments (9)
    Bates is innocent. The prostitute was a former house maid at Downton when it was a hospital for Officers in WWI. She had a baby with one of the officers who would not acknowledge the child. The officer was killed in the war. His parents wanted the baby but not the mother who refused to give him up if she couldn't see the baby. The Lady who asked about her is Matthew Crawley's Mother.
    ...See More

I never have liked that Downton Abbey kitchen...

Q

Comments (29)
    And what happened to those babies? Last week the nanny got fired and then then babies just disappeared? It's starting to feel like an English soap opera for me now as opposed to the story of the family with some plot development. Too many characters flipping in/out each week. But that's just my take. There's lots to love about the show. I just hope they turn it around a bit and slow it back down to it's original flavor. Love the worktable in the kitchen and as someone else noted, the introduction of various electrical appliances. Mrs Patmore is hilarious. I think this season is getting on towards end of the '20's judging by the costumes, speak-easys, and the ominous pull of Germany for Edith's boyfriend to get his divorce. My prediction is that he'll get stuck there when Hitler rises...or something to that effect.
    ...See More
  • veer
    11 years ago

lemonhead/liz, your Mum must be made of sterner stuff than me as I find each episode of The Village becomes more depressing and the characters increasingly dour. It has been on for four weeks and I honestly don't think one pleasant thing has happened. It is wife beating, drunkenness, poverty, madness, cattle-killing, brutal school masters mixed with talk of the horror of the WWI trenches, all photographed in gloomy sepia tones.
    Actually I doubt that Americans would understand it without sub-titles.

• lemonhead101
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So light-hearted stuff with lots of giggles... :-)

• woodnymph2_gw
    11 years ago

Vee, what is "The Village"? Regarding accents, I've been amazed at the stunning variety of brogues, accents, slang, as expressed in "Downton Abbey" by the various characters.

• veer
    11 years ago

Liz, the only 'giggles' came in the episode from a group of village boys who stoned a dachshund to death . . .because it was 'German' dog.
    In my grim list above I forgot to mention the attempted hanging and next week we are promised the after-effects of shell-shock. Never a dull moment.

Mary The Village is a BBC series, set in a rural community in the Peak District of Derbyshire. Apparently it is planned to follow the lives of the locals from 1914, the outbreak of WWI, to the present day. It seems that it will be shown in blocks of 6 episodes at a time.
    Pre-release it was hailed as the most innovative series to grace our TV screens since the last outstanding piece of drama. It seems to have been totally over-hyped and after watching four hours of it (with no advert breaks!) I still don't know who half the characters are nor do I care very much.

• rosefolly
    11 years ago

Hmm, The Village does not sound like something I would enjoy watching. I like my history to be dramatic, tragic, ironic, bittersweet, cheerful, heartening, or even humorous. The unrelenting grim approach does not suit me at all, even when it is true, as sometimes (though not always) is the case.

I suspect that those of us who consistently look at life through that kind of lens do not lead very happy lives.

Rosefolly

• woodnymph2_gw
    11 years ago

I'm overjoyed to report that I FINALLY obtained the series of DA that I had missed. I finally can say I have watched it all and am now sorting it out in my mind, putting all the pieces together. (Thanks to the College of Charleston Library). I cannot imagine watching this story on a weekly basis, in small one hour chunks. For me, watching it the way I have, for some hours at a time has seemed quite powerful.

• rosefolly
    11 years ago

Woodnymph, that is also the way I like to watch a series with a continuous story. I watched Lost that way and also Game of Thrones, Mad Men and earlier, The Gilmore Girls as well. You do avoid the irritating disruption of commercials which is not an issue with Downton Abbey since it is on public television. More importantly, watching this way becomes a more powerful experience. I read an article about it in (I think) the Wall Street Journal. It is called "binge TV" and it is very popular. This kind of watching intensifies the effect of the story on the brain. DVDs have made it possible.

Rosefolly

• woodnymph2_gw
    11 years ago

I just read that in Season Four of DA, they will cast the first Black actor, who will play a jazz musician.

• woodnymph2_gw
    10 years ago

Yesterday two friends and I were discussing this. I learned that there was an episode where Edith went to work on a farm, learned to drive a car, and went after the farmer, although he was married. They also told me there was an episode where a survivor of the Titanic appears. Can anyone elaborate on this? I thought I had watched the entire series, but I managed to miss this, somehow.

• rosefolly
    10 years ago

Poor Edith! Yes, the farmer was smitten with her and she was starting to be attracted to him. It wasn't going to go anywhere, but the farmer's wife saw what was going on and she gave Edith her walking papers. As for the Titanic survivor, he shows up as a patient at the Downton Abbey hospital. There is big drama for a while over just who he really is. Again, Edith is involved. Both of these events took place in the second season, so very likely you missed a couple of episodes there.

Rosefolly

• woodnymph2_gw
    10 years ago

Thanks. Somehow I managed to miss the entire segment when the manor was turned into a hospital.

• rosefolly
    10 years ago

My DH Tom likes the series as much as I do. We'll probably watch them again at some point, perhaps in December to get ready for season 4 in January.

Do you want more details or are you going to track down the missing episode? I think you want season 2 episode 6. The manor house as a convalescent hospital was portrayed in several episodes so perhaps you have missed more than one.

• woodnymph2_gw
    10 years ago

rosefolly, yes, please. I've already checked 2 local libraries and those series seem to be missing. Thanks!

• woodnymph2_gw
    10 years ago

Did any of you see the preview of the new series on the Today show? I can't wait. Spoilers: evidently my fave character, Bates, has a darker side to his persona that will be revealed. Also, more Americans are being added in. The setting will be the Jazz Age. We wonder if Lady Mary will find a new love. It appears Matthew had to be killed off because he wanted out of this production.

• janalyn
    10 years ago

That episode where matthew died, just jarred. It did feel forced, I wish they had him contractually signed up for a few more years, but I heard he wants to expand his horizons in the states. If the Downton Abbey fans stateside ever forgive him, that is.
    I think the Brits have watched this latest season already, and I might be wrong but isn't Vee now boycotting this show because of the direction it has taken? Apparently many arent happy with the tone of the show anymore, so let's keep our fingers crossed.

• rosefolly
    10 years ago

No one I know who lives in England (all of half a dozen people, including members of this forum) thinks very highly of Downton Abbey, alas. They seem to look at it the way we looked at Dallas a couple of decades ago. On the other hand I adore it and am looking forward to watching though January and February 2014.

• veer
    10 years ago

Aother great chunk of Downton coming up here at Christmas as a 'Special'. Slight groan from this household . . . as Rosefolly suggests Dallas would be a good comparison albeit with genuine antiques and lots of servants. And I cannot think of a single man who would admit to watching it.

Also on the Christmas TV front we will be getting The Thirteenth Tale (discusssed here a few years ago) with Vanessa Redgrave and Olivia Coleman (acting flavour of the small screen and very good) and . . . especially for annpan Death Comes to Pemberley being shown in 3 parts from Boxing Day.
    I imagine they find their way over the Pond during the summer.

Here is a link that might be useful: Death Comes to Pemberley

• woodnymph2_gw
    10 years ago

Vee, you are back! We have missed your posts, here, lately.
    I do know several red-blooded American men who adore Downton Abbey, for whatever it's worth. They are just as "addicted " as the women who watch.

• phyllis__mn
    10 years ago

My son and daughter-in-law have gifted me with all the seasons and a donation to our PBS.....a lovely gift. I am so anxious to see the new season.

• carolyn_ky
    10 years ago

Did anyone watch the first episode of Season 4 last night? Oh, that Thomas!

• sherwood38
    10 years ago

Carolyn I watched it and couldn't believe that Thomas hadn't learned a thing from his past problems-still at it!

Pat

• ginny12
    10 years ago

I loathe Thomas. But what is wrong with Cora that she is so quick to believe him with his track record?

• carolyn_ky
    10 years ago

Ginny, Thomas did tell Cora that the horrible nanny was leaving the babies alone. I think he just meant to stir up trouble, but he got the credit from Cora when she turned out to be a bad egg.

• janalyn
    10 years ago

Did the actor who played Obrien leave the series -- is that why she suddenly "disappeared"?

• carolyn_ky
    10 years ago

O'Brien is going to India with the young cousin's parents. She did such a good job with the mother's hair when they visited that she "stole" her with the promise of travel and adventure.

On another forum someone suggested that Thomas was really trying to get the nanny in trouble because he was so fond of Sybil and knew Nanny didn't like the little girl. I didn't hear clearly when he argued with her about why the child couldn't have an egg when she wanted one, so I didn't understand the undercurrents.

See, it's not just us who discuss this production!

• janalyn
    10 years ago

Carolyn, I just did a google search and Siobhan Finneran as Sarah O'Brien in Downton Abbey, did leave the series. So we won't be seeing her again which makes me sad because she was excellent in that role.

I thought Thomas wanted to get rid of the nanny because she was pulling rank on him, giving him orders and making it clear that she was "superior" to him in status.

• ginny12
    10 years ago

What I can't find on Google is why *the actor* who plays O'Brien left. I know why O'Brien the character left.

And we know that the actors who played Sybil and Matthew left to pursue other acting opportunities--by their own choice. But why did Siobhan Finneran leave? A bit of a mystery, I think.

• lemonhead101
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I was thinking along the same lines as Janalyn about Thomas' motivation to get even w the nanny... I'm looking forward to Sunday's program. Did Edith's beau get to visit Downton last week at the house party? Our DVR didn't take the last 30 minutes of the show so we missed that bit.

• colleenoz
    10 years ago

Didn't find this article? Originally published in March last year.

Here is a link that might be useful: Why O'Brien has

• gooseberrygirl
    10 years ago

Veer and woodnymph,

Three 20ish young men who were checking me out and bagging my groceries were discussing Game of Thrones with enthusiasm. I mentioned my son was a fan and they asked if I was also. I said no, I was more of a Downton Abbey type, and they all responded" We watch that too!". Then we discussed the tragic ending of season 3.

gbg

• rosefolly
    10 years ago

Gooseberry Girl - those are my two favorite TV shows!

• veer
    10 years ago

gbg, I've never watched the US show Game of Thrones. I think it is only available in the UK on Sky TV (expensive) or via the internet but apparently has a cult following among some teenage boys.
    A comment somewhere above re D Abbey "I know several red-blooded American men who adore Downton Abbey" might apply to UK male followers of a more pink-blooded hue. It certainly has a female following but most men here would rather be 'down the pub' than watching a light-weight costume drama. The same could be said for Call the Midwife.

• ginny12
    10 years ago

Colleen, in my search I did see that article about why O'Brien left. I just felt there had to be more to it than that. Maybe I'm a conspiracy theorist!

• woodnymph2_gw
    10 years ago

It's not "light weight" is one becomes invested in what happens to each of the characters. Everywhere I go, I hear people discussing DA, details of the plot, fate of various characters, etc. both men and women....

I recall years ago it was the same with "Upstairs, Downstairs."

• janalyn
    10 years ago

Maybe it's a cultural thing Vee, as for both sexes enjoying the show. The men I know, and my friends' husbands, don't regularly go to a pub or bars. I cannot remember the last time I went to one. My cousin from Cornwall, who is my age, goes to pubs with his wife there. We don't have as many here, just not a popular thing to do. Also we have strict drinking driving legislation.

Watching DA is something we enjoy doing together as a couple at home on a Sunday night. Also Game of Thrones is very good, I got my husband watching that one too. :)

• woodnymph2_gw
    10 years ago

I would tend to agree with you Janalyn, that it must be a cultural thing. The men I know, and my friends' husbands don't frequent bars, either. Pubs here are rare, and are mostly visited by college or university students. What drinking does take place is mostly done in the home, over a meal, or at parties. And here in the states, we also have strict laws re drinking and driving, which are enforced regularly.

Some of my friends watch DA together as a family, Sunday night.

• rosefolly
    10 years ago

I do know a few men who go to sports bars to watch games, but not many. I myself loathe bars or restaurants with televisions runnning and avoid them if at all possible. Other than that, bars are not a regular part of the lives of anyone I know. It's not that they don't drink alcohol, it is just that they are more apt to drink at a gathering of friends or with meals. Or they go to wine tastings. Wine is a huge part of California culture.

Tom and I watch Downton Abbey together. Drinking wine while we do so.

Rosefolly

• woodnymph2_gw
    10 years ago

A friend loaned me her set of the new DT series, so I am eagerly watching each episode now, hoping to catch up!

• annpan
    10 years ago

Vee, sorry, I only just noticed your post to me about Death Comes to Pemberley. I don't watch Downton Abbey so haven't been following this thread.
    I can't remember what I said about the book either but the TV show looks interesting and I shall see if I can get an advance DVD download as I don't know when it will be shown here or it may have been on Foxtel satellite which I don't have.
    I don't get the time to watch everything I'd like on "Free to air" as it is! I have heaps of programs that sit in the recorder....

• woodnymph2_gw
    10 years ago

Spoiler ahead:

Maybe I missed something, -----but ---- can anyone enlighten me as to why Thomas has asked the new lady's maid to spy for him? What info. does he hope to find out and how will he use it?

• carolyn_ky
    10 years ago

Nobody knows about Thomas and the new maid, Mary. On another forum, there has been a discussion as to whether she may be his sister (someone even suggested his mother) and whether he may have helped her get the job because she seemingly just appeared from nowhere.

What do you think will happen to poor Edith?

• rosefolly
    10 years ago

I'm a little bewildered by just what it is Mary owes Thomas, though clearly she is exercising a little independence. I suspect that the explanation was edited out of the American version, and is explained in the version shown on English television. I have the DVD and am not watching ahead of time because I want it to last. No doubt I will go back and watch, and I think that will explain it all to me.

Poor Edith! I hope something goes right for her. But I don't expect that it will. She seems doomed by the writer.

Folly

• woodnymph2_gw
    10 years ago

I have another question: how many episodes are there in this new series? I am just about to watch episode 9. Are there more than this? Do you think there will be another DA series forthcoming?

• rosefolly
    10 years ago

There are nine episodes in Season Four.

Julian Fellowes has said that there will be one more season, Season Five, and that it will be the final season. The show was originally conceived to last exactly five years, and apparently he has not seen any reason to extend it beyond the original concept.

We'll miss it.

Folly

• woodnymph2_gw
    10 years ago

Carolyn, you mentioned "another forum" where DA is being discussed. Would you tell me how to access it?

• carolyn_ky
    10 years ago

Mary, it's the Fodor's Travel Forum, but the discussion is taking place on a division called The Lounge which is now closed to new participants because it got so raucous. I think they probably hope it will die a death of attrition. I could copy the thread and send it to you in an email if you like.

• woodnymph2_gw
    10 years ago

Carolyn, thanks. Yes, I would like to have it. I will try to find your e-mail, then send you a note and then you will have my e-mail address.

• carolyn_ky
    10 years ago

Mary, I went to my profile page and can't get it to change to allow emails. It tells me to show a valid address, and there isn't a place for addresses, real, not email which is there but checked not to show up. I didn't do that. It must have happened sometime when Gardenweb or Glyphs or whoever makes decisions to change things on here redid the page.

Anyway, my email address is cnewlen at bellsouth dot net. The Fodor's thread is very long, so you may be sorry you asked!