SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mmelko_gw

Negotiating with Lenders

mmelko
16 years ago

We are going to place a bid on a house I have found that is set for public sale on October 30th. In trying to find out what was going on with the house, the paralegal for the attorney who did the foreclosure complaint told my RE agent that it is possible we could make an offer to the bank and they may sell it prior to the public sale.

Here's the problem - isn't there always one? There is a second mortgage on the property.

My vast experience (buying only one foreclosure 20 years ago and then living in it for 14 years) in foreclosure and real estate law - I'm still pretty sure that not a lot of people will show up at a public sale unless there is a chance that the price at auction will provide some measure of cushion to make some money. And even more unlikely that the second mortgage company will show as they are probably aware that the primary mortgage holder doesn't care at all about bidding up the price to pay them off. (Did I mention you have to bring a $10K cashier's check to bid?)

The house we found has two mortgages, that together far exceed the comp sales in the area. The first mortgage is in an amount that is equal to or maybe a frog's hair above the comps.

Now this house is in surprisingly good shape for a foreclosure all they took was the appliances and light fixtures (it's a renovated 150 year old house) - so this would be our home not an investment property. We would pay the entire balance of the first mortgage amount - but not the second. Problem is buying before the sale does not wipe out the second mortgage company's interest in the property. The lawyers I talked to today told me that we could offer some amount to the second mortgage holder to release their interest, and since most second mortgage holders know that they are not going to get anything at the sale (unless they are the high bidder and then they try to sell it) - we might be surprised that anything is better than nothing to them. Besides they will still be able to go against the debtors for the balance.

Has anyone here had any experience working with banks and lenders as described above?

I'm listening... do I hear Tricia???

Maryanne P.

Comments (7)