SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gazania_gw

Another..What would you do? post

gazania_gw
16 years ago

We moved into this house 9 1/2 years ago. Yesterday, Mr. and Mrs Neighbor whose backyard abuts with our backyard, rang our door bell and presented to us for the first time ever a nicely wrapped Christmas gift. They stepped in for a about 5 minutes for idle chatter then off they went. Now, Mr.Neighbor and my dh are good friends. They talk often when they see each other in the yards and often help each other with little jobs outside. I have gotten to know him well also. He is a very nice likeable guy. Mrs. Neighbor however, completely ignored our existence up until 1 1/2 years ago when she rang our doorbell and presented us with an invitation to an open house for their sons graduation. I had to ask who she was, as in 8 1/2 years, I had not seen her close enough to recognise her. We went to the open house. Mrs. Neighbor was congenial, but not really friendly. That was the only contact with her till she came bearing gifts yesterday. She sees us often in the yard and has never from day 1 made any attenpt to be friendly. Am I wrong in thinking that if someone doesn't extend a welcoming hand to a new neighbor within a short time, then they don't want to be frienly? In the beginning, Mr. Neighbor came right over, offering help etc, while Mrs. Neighbor sat over by her pool not even returning a wave from us. And should I reciprocate with a Christmas goodie of some kind? DH says we should, I am reluctant. What would you do?

The gift by the way is a cute penguin candy dish and 2 bags of very good chocolate mints. If I reciprocate, it would be home made goodies like cookies etc.

Comments (21)