SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joann23456

Another 'what would you do' question

joann23456
12 years ago

I've posted before about my sister, who lives with me. She has bipolar disorder, and is on a number of medications. She also abuses both the prescribed medication and Benadryl. It's a terrible situation, and she usually denies she's using anything, but she admitted this week that she's been taking Benadryl at the rate of 1,000 mg (40 pills) a day. I figure that, since most drug abusers seem to under-report, there's a good chance she's taking even more.

She basically takes the medicine, sleeps for 5-6 hours, is up for a short period of time, and then starts again. Sometimes, she takes less and is able to stay awake, though she doesn't really do anything. She rarely goes outside of the house anymore. Occasionally, she will take enough that she gets heart palpitations, which scares her for awhile, but she always starts up again. She knows that Benadryl in large doses can kill you, but she doesn't care. And she knows that it exacerbates depression, with which she always suffers.

All of that is terrible, both for her and for her family, but I can't force her to stop or to get any treatment. But here is my question - should I mention any of this to her doctor?

She has a checkup scheduled for next month. I am pretty certain that she won't say anything to the doctor about the Benadryl use. If the doctor did know, I think she would more closely examine my sister's heart and liver functions, but if she doesn't know, she'll have no reason to look for trouble there.

I am trying to stay detached from my sister's life. I wouldn't allow her to live her but for my 9-year-old niece. I know my sister isn't able to care for her consistently, and I'd rather deal with my sister than lose my niece.

So should I mention it to the doctor or just stay out of it? If I do tell the doctor, I won't do it behind my sister's back - I'll tell her I'm telling. We have the same doctor, and the doctor does know that my sister has abused Ativan and prescription pain killers, because she's seen my sister under the influence in the past.

Comments (27)