SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
azzalea_gw

How annoyed would you be?

azzalea
13 years ago

Background--Aunt is in a nursing home, on hospice (was told 2 weeks ago, she had 2-4 weeks to live). Luckily, she's doing very well, so far. We have a funeral home listed with the nursing home and with hospice.

This morning(Christmas)--my UNLISTED phone rang. Looked at the caller ID, the name was the same last name as that of the family who owns the funeral parlour. My heart dropped and I answered. A male voice asked is this (my real name)--I answered yes. He then said, "Ho Ho Ho, you're getting coal this year because you've been a jerk". I didn't recognize the voice. We looked up the # and yes, it's right next door to the funeral parlour.

I really don't know anyone there--the funeral parlour has changed hands since the last time we used it. Okay, the prank itself wasn't that bad, but given that I've got someone in my family who is dying, it was a real shocker to me. I cannot imagine how they'd have my name and unlisted # (I haven't yet spoken to them about my aunt's funeral). To add to the mix, my wallet was stolen a little while ago.

Now, I'm wondering if I should just forget about this place and use a different funeral home altogether. This was definitely a family member's phone that was used to make the call.

Just curious--how would you feel about this, if you were in my situation.

My husband and I are planning on contacting the funeral home on Monday, to try to get to the bottom of this.

Comments (24)