SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
azzalea_gw

How Inappropriate!

azzalea
15 years ago

I know there will be very divided responses on this one--should make for a very spirited discussion.

We live in a middle class neighborhood, but there are some very high-income trendy areas not far away. DD was driving around one shopping center 'over there' and came across a CHILDREN'S SPA! It's all done up in pink, they have a pink limo and pink VW bug for picking up their clients. THEY OPEN AT 10 AM (even during the week!) Are people taking their children out of school to go to the spa? Or are they taking toddlers?

I'm sorry, but this is SO the wrong message to be sending our young daughters--My opinion, only (well, mine and DD's--she was absolutely floored when she came across this place). Nothing wrong with learning to be healthy, fit and clean, but this looks like it's going way, way, past that.

Basically, I see two problems. One, that it's teaching children to put far too much importance on the outside, rather than working on their 'inside'. There's also the very unrealistic financial expectations. I don't think it's good to let our children learn to expect to live high on the hog. You never know what life will bring. Even though we were of middle income, and could probably have afforded more, I tried to teach my daughter to be conservative when it came to spending and indulging herself. As a result, she's a very sensible young woman. Just what kind of adults are these pampered little princesses going to turn out to be? Heaven help the poor guys they marry, if they're being taught such a sense of entitlement at such a young age.

Comments?

What do you think? Would you take your toddler to a little girl spa? Would you take your elementary school-aged child out of school to go? What if your child were invited to a b'day party here (actually, I wouldn't have a big problem with that--going once could be an interesting experience).

Comments (55)

• dotmom
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Oh, for crying out loud! Another monument to excessivness.
    Guess to each his/her own, but I think it is teaching the wrong lesson about whats important to children. Dottie

• Nita__AZ
    15 years ago

I agree if there is a market for it so be it. Also there are a lot of kids that are home schooled now you see them in the stores with their mothers at odd times during the day. I often see kids out riding their bikes too and wonder if they are skipping school but then figure that they are home schooled.

• Related Discussions

Is this inappropriate??

Q

Comments (48)
    "I find it rather strange that helpwiththis's DH does not do enough about it." My DH is doing as much as he can about it. Him and his ex had a long drawn out custody battle. Part of the reason he got custody was because his ex made ridiculous accusations against him and they were proven false-long story. Also, she was an overreactor in court and had many outbursts. My dh is just trying to keep a level head in all of this and not do anything to jeapordize custody. He is afraid if he makes a big stink about this instance then it will look as if he is making false accusations and trying to twist an innocent situation. As much as he would love to go kick moms bf's a** he is using self control. We did purchase sd a cell phone and we have discussed a safe word with her. And as I mentioned bm said she will not be leaving sd alone with her bf again. We have talked to sd about this and she says that she is comfortable going there again as long as bm is there and she can bring her cell phone. We have even shown her how to send us a text and erase it after it has been sent in case she needs to privately send us a message to come get her instead of calling us and being heard. As much as we would love to just never have her go there again it is an option that we feel may backfire on us. We love sd dearly and are doing our best to protect her and maintain custody. On the bright side bm has made no plans to see her in the near future and we have booked up some plans for the next few weekends with sd and her friends as well as family events.
    ...See More

I love his kids, but he's mean to my son

Q

Comments (8)
    He was cool towards my son prior to our marriage and I almost postponed the wedding. He has promised me repeatedly to work on this issue and usually does for a short period of time. While we were dating and even prior to that, my son was a tremendous handful! In fact, I was exhausted by the time I met my husband from the constant demands my son's high energy that wore me down. After we were married we did work together with my son, who continued to be an extreme challenge. To add to that, my son was having to learn to share me, had to go to a new school where he did poorly, and quickly alienated all of the kids on our block! After exhausting our combined efforts to help my son, we finally had him evaluated for ADHD. He was "diagnoised" but we still waited to see how his last marking period went. (the teacher obviously grew weary of working with us and stopped sending behaviorial and academic reports home!) He almost failed 3rd grade! Right after school was out, he went balistic, behaviorially so we started him on Concerta, a time-released form of Ritalin. From that point on, my son has completely turned his life around. He's made new, longer-standing friends, gets along better at home and in school, has excelled on the swim team, is getting the best grades he's ever had, and is growin confident from his continued successes! My husband, however, still judges my son based on his old issues that were obviously not mine or my son's fault. My husband is going back to the counsellor alone at thie time because I'm too angry with him. He is trying, and deeply saddened by our deteriating relationship/family, but I'm not sure I can trust his ability to completely change who he obviously is...I'm so sad...thanks for your reply...
    ...See More

inappropriate games

Q

Comments (4)
    I highly suspect that either your daughters girlfriend or her friend has been or is being molested. I say this because I was in that situation. I was molested by my grandfather and initiated inappropriate games with my best friend at a very young age. Young children do not usually do these things spontaneously, at least in the manner you have described. That said, I think this is an opportunity for you to teach your daughter some very important lessons, about the sanctity of her body, her feelings, and that she can come to you about any situation that makes her feel uncomfortable. Ditto what seekingpeace said, there is a ton of shame around this behavior, even if she didn't initiate it. You might mention to the other parents to make sure their daughter is "safe", try to figure out where this behavior is originating without confronting anyone.
    ...See More

Wife Cannot Function Without Clubbing

Q

Comments (20)
    Thank you for asking, Tammy Allen! Things, I do believe, are moving along as they should. I'm surprisingly taking them quite well, considering the circumstances. I just recently caught my wife of 5 years having an affair with another married man. I immediately confronted her and then contacted the man's wife on FB. My wife ended the marriage in the span of a two minute conversation, and then hung up on me to meet him. She has since started seeing different men, and is gone until the next morning. She sent her kids to live with their father and is enjoying the free life. My son and I--aside of the pain and suffering her actions have caused--have been busy packing our things to move. We are heading back to Phoenix to be around all our family and friends so that we can begin the healing process. She can now have her lifestyle without me in the way.
    ...See More
  • donna_loomis
    15 years ago

I think it is ridiculous! But then, since someone mentioned the party business, I think that kid's birthday parties have gotten way out of hand as well. One of my acquaintances told me that she went to a birthday party for her one year old godson that was catered and there were gift baskets for all of the attendees. There was entertainment both for the adults and the children. The price tag for this lavish affair? More than $10,000! FOR A ONE YEAR OLD CHILD!

Now, I realize that this is not the normal party, but what is now considered "normal" is still outlandish in my opinion. People feel that everyone must be entertained at a party. Yes, I'm old, but ice cream and cake, maybe a few treats, and family and friends having meaningful conversation is about as much party as I need.

But to each his/her own, I guess.

• stephmc72
    15 years ago

I dont see that it's a big deal. I think for a special occasion, and for parties, it's fine, but not a regular thing where a child expects her monthly spa day out with friends.

It certainly wouldn't bother me to see it in my town. There's too many other things going on in this world - my world - to worry about childrens spas.

• cherbo
    15 years ago

Good grief, let kids be kids. If you can't find anything better to spend money on than that.... Sorry but that just sounds silly to this old small town hick.

• trishaw
    15 years ago

Well, not something I would do or even have done. What ever happened to the birthday parties held in the yard? You know- the ones with the melting ice cream, screaming kids, streamers from the trees, maybe a mom that was face painting in the corner? I miss those parties.

Trish

• cathyid
    15 years ago

I don't even think it is a good party idea, especially for the under 12's. What on earth do people think, will entertain kids at 15, if they have done it all by 10? Bad message all around. When I was raising my kids and then again when I had a DGD that we had for a couple years, the advice of most professionals was to have one party guest per the childs age. A 5 y/o would have 5 guests and a 10/yo would have 10, etc. Otherwise it gets overwhelming for the child. I thought it was good advice.

• dilly_dally
    15 years ago

"Basically, I see two problems. One, that it's teaching children to put far too much importance on the outside, rather than working on their 'inside'."

There are differnt types of spas. Some place an importance on the "inside". They offer yoga, massage, herbal tea for detoxifying, and aromatherapy and things like that. If the parents are believers in the benefits of those things they are going to want their children to have a jump start on their well being. There is nothing wrong with the other things they offer like seaweed skin masks and hair cuts.

I could not find out any details on the Cherry Hill one you mentioned. It's probably too new. They do not even have a website it seems. But it does appear that they are connected with an adult spa. I think it is a nice idea to have a separate one for children to serve their needs.

I do not understand the fear and loathing people have about these types of things. My mother forbid me to ever enter a beauty salon and trimmed my hair with kitchen shears until I moved out at eighteen. One of the first things I did went and moved out so they could not control me, was to go to a nice hair salon and have my hair cut into an outrageous (LOL.) "Farrah Fawcet style". I used make-up and even nail polish too!! I don't see what is wrong with exposing young girls to learning about caring for themselves. It won't make going to a spa or salon as an adult so traumatic. Its going to happen. You can't shield children from life. Eventually they make their own decisions. Don't cripple them by forbiding things that are normal.

• alisande
    15 years ago

Dilly Dally, having one's hair cut professionally could be considered "normal," I think. Therefore, your mother's rule against going to a beauty salon could be classified under "forbidding things that are normal."

However, call me old-fashioned (and someone probably will), but I don't think a children's spa--complete with pink limo--falls into the category of "normal" just yet. And I hope it never does. Letting our children know that their family has more interesting and useful things to do with our time and money will hardly cripple them. On the contrary, I think it will empower them.

I agree with Dotmom: This sort of establishment is another monument to excess.

• teresava
    15 years ago

My DD needs her monthly massage, as it's hard being a 4 year old these days! I expect to sign up my 7 month old soon! LOL LOL

I think it'd be fun for a party or as a treat for a good report card, but on a regular basis? Forget it! I'm the one that needs that treatment! I see young girls getting manicures (or maybe just the polish) once in a while. I wouldn't object to that-but my DD isn't into that (yet)She's not patient enough to even let her nails dry!

There's a store in some of the bigger malls, Libby Lu, that is basically make-up/hair-do that young girls have their parties at. It's very silly and girly and PINK!

I think the Pink Limo Bug is a bit over the top, but if I was a 7 year old girl I'd probably think it was COOL~~

• grammahony
    15 years ago

Not something I'd do, or spend money on for my girls to do either. My idea of a party would be to have all the girls spend the night and do each others nails and hair. I AM old fashioned. I also have better things to do with my money.
    Leslie

• nikki_nj
    15 years ago

azzalea, I live very close to you , I'm on the Medford border.

I don't see anything wrong with it. In fact, I didn't know it was there, I'll have to check it out. It must have just opened, I was there last week at Christmas Tree Shoppe(what a ZOO). DD would love getting a manicure like Mommy. Nothing wrong with pampering yourself a little. I hardly think it would make a difference in their personality so to speak.

• stephanie_in_ga
    15 years ago

They aren't getting any money from me.

I have a 9 y/o DD, who you'd think would be their target consumer. But even I tried to drag her in for a beauty treatment, it would be with her kicking and screaming. She uses the term "girly" with disgust. ;o)

If she did like, I might consider it for a special occassion, as a gift. But that's a pricy game of dress-up! I think it would make most little girls just as happy (or even happier) to have their own mom take the time to do up her hair and nails.

• Happy_Go_Lucky_Gayle
    15 years ago

Totally over the top.

Gayle

• anneliese_32
    15 years ago

Another thing to throw in the face of the little girls who know that their parents have to struggle to feed and cloth them. They will, I worked too many years as volunteer librarian, room mother, school nurse assistant and general gofer in schools and heared it all.

• azzalea
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Knew this would have a lot of opinions on both sides.

Nikki, I think it's been open for a little while now. But you wouldn't see it from the Christmas Tree Shop (one of my favorite haunts, btw--LOVE that store).

If you're going to check this out, it's off Haddonfield Road (not the route 70 side)--at the back of the new row of stores that sits sideways between the back of Wegman's and the Cheesecake factory. Sort of in front of the new Barnes and Noble. I think that new seafood restaurant is at the front of this section maybe? Hey, from what DD says, you just have to look for a pink punch buggy.

If you take your dd, do let us all know what the place is like--I'm SURE I don't have to take my 27 year old--LOL LOL!

• nikki_nj
    15 years ago

I'll look for it. When I used to get manicures regularly, and had DD with me (not often) the girl would give Sarah's nails a quick swipe with pink polish. She loved it. I can guarantee she wouldn't rub it in any one's face. I wouldn't go there regularly either, but for a treat it would be nice. She might not even be interested.

I just asked her hypothetically if she would be interested in something like that. She said only if she could bring her best friend.

• mcmann
    15 years ago

Well Nikki- I missed it too and I stopped at Wegman's on my way to the Motor Vehicle agency yesterday. And I took one look at all the people heading into the Christmas Tree Store and decided to come back early one morning. Maybe I'll peek into the Children's Spa too.

I can readily agree with Azzalea, I think it's excessive for a regular appointment. It might be a fun outing for a little girl's birthday party though. My daughter went to a birthday party at a hair salon in the Moorestown Mall when she was in second grade and absolutely loved it- they did their nails and hair and probably squealed all afternoon. They they walked down to Friendly's for ice cream.

Azzalea - Was there an age limit? If you take your 27 year old I'll join you with my 25 year old and Nikki can bring her daughter. Then we can lunch at Brio - I've been there twice for lunch. It was wonderful.

• jeaninwa
    15 years ago

It's silly and outragous. Don't people have better things to spend their money on?
    This is the kind of place that parents who buy the high heel booties for their baby take their kids to.
    Let kids be kids for goodness sake.
    I hope this place goes out of business soon.

• monica_pa Grieves
    15 years ago

Heck...we ought to all get together and check it out....then eat somewhere close.

Now, my nephew lives in CH...maybe if they would get cooking and give me a GNiece, I could take her in a few years .

• caroline1947
    15 years ago

Well, Im known for speaking my opinion,and I try to be tactful, but this is really insane. We have homeless people and people out of jobs and losing their homes,etc.etc.,and to have people frittering away money to pamper their spoiled kids doesnt sit well with me.They will grow into carbon copies of their parents,spoiled self centered and selfish.

• monica_pa Grieves
    15 years ago

Do you really feel women who go to spas to get facials, massages, their hair and nails done are spoiled, self-centered and selfish?

I do and I don't see any relationship between homeless people and manicures. Reminds me of the old "clean your plate, there are children starving in china" line.

• nikki_nj
    15 years ago

sweeping generalizations are always appreciated

• foggyj
    15 years ago

OK, I was born too late. This kind of stuff is sad. Haven't we learned about the down-side of spoiling children?. Correction: spoiled adults, spoiling children.
    If people want to waste their money, that's their business, but let's teach kids to value important things in life.
    I spend a lot of time shaking my head lately,(not trying to judge others,) but just amazed at the material obsession of the culture.
    As I said, I was born too late. My simplistic lifestyle seems the way to go. To each his own.

• western_pa_luann
    15 years ago

"We have homeless people and people out of jobs and losing their homes,etc.etc.,and to have people frittering away money to pamper their spoiled kids doesnt sit well with me."

None of that is anything new! Why get so upset now?

• girlsingardens
    15 years ago

I can't see me taking my girls there or having a birthday party. Here we have the family over for a meal and homemade ice cream and cake. But my 5 year old will tell me that her feet are hurting her and that she needs a pedicure. So we will soak our feet in soapy water and then put lotion on, trim the nails and paint our toe nails. She thinks this is the coolest, then we make popcorn and watch a cartoon movie. So she would think this is really cool, but I would rather make the fun at home and save my $$$ for something more important.

Stacie

• azzalea
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Again--it's been interesting reading all the responses here.

Mcmann--isn't Brio great? I've only been once, for dinner, but I just loved it. We went last Dec, not long after they opened, before they got too busy. Nice place, great food.

• mcmann
    15 years ago

Azzalea- I haven't been to dinner but it's become my favorite lunch place. I've been there 4 or 5 times and each meal has been perfect. I didn't realize it was a chain until recently so if any of you have one near you I'd suggest you give it a try.

• caroline1947
    15 years ago

Ye,I do think facials,manicures,spas and all that is pretty much a waste of money,and is vain and self centered,but I never implied it was MY BUSINESS! Im just stating my opinion like everyone else.People have the right to live as they choose,snd spend thier money as they choose.But I do feel sorry for all the little kids out there and the message they are getting about their self images.Thats the sad part.

• gardenspice
    15 years ago

I've never had a professional pedicure and come to think of it, maybe i've never had a professional manicure -I thought I had, but now I can't recall when..
    I'll probably get flamed for this, but I really don't give a darn what other people do with their time or money.
    As long as no one is being abused, people have the right to raise their kids how they see fit. None of my business.

• jannie
    15 years ago

Totally unnecessary. Why teach our daughters that physical beauty is to be glorified and worshipped? If you want to have a party at home, or at a gymnastics or bowling party, fine, but don't teach our kids they need make-up to be beautiful!

• Adella Bedella
    15 years ago

I do think some birthday parties are over the top. So far, we've done mostly at home parties. I could see doing spa as a special treat. It would have to be earned by doing some extraordinary. I have a five year old dd. She would love it.

• nikki_nj
    15 years ago

That's ridiculous.
    I typed a million different reasons why I thought so and defending myself, but it isn't worth getting worked up over.

Apparently don't take well to a stranger insinuating that my daughter is destined to grow up being a self-centered spoiled brat because she got her nails painted. That is sheer ignorance.

Certainly you're entitled to your opinion!

• jannie
    15 years ago

When my daughters were little,on Sunday nights I gave them a bath, shampooed their hair and painted their finger and toenails. They had so much fun in those days, and my 19 year old still remembers Sunday bathtime.

• caroline1947
    15 years ago

I paint my nails and my granddaughters nails too,and I wasnt implying it was vain to do so. Just that some people go way overboard...a SPA for little kids?? Ok, so stone me,but its disgusting! Makes me think of all the little Jon Bonet Ramseys...poor kids!What those little "beauty queen" mamas put them through borders on child abuse,,,but as everyone says, to each his own.

• monica_pa Grieves
    15 years ago

Have you ever been in a local spa?

• dorio_pa
    15 years ago

Just was Christmas shopping with my husband and kids all day, and what is inappropriate is the display windows in Victoria's Secret, with the mannequins dressed in see through sexy underwear, that I feel is the wrong message for my daughters (not to mention my son) to see.
    I work in a salon, and once in awhile mothers will bring in their young daughters for a manicure and pedicure as a special treat, and I give them instructions on how to care for their nails, hands and feet at home. What I think is horrible is the mothers who come in and spend all kinds of money on themselves, while their child waits (sometimes for hours) looking unkept, bangs in their eyes, dirty nails etc.

Doreen

• grittymitts
    15 years ago

My oh my...what will the little Princesses expect for High School or College Graduation? A Villa or a Lamborghini?

Giving children opportunities is one thing but with rare exception, spoiled children make spoiled, dependent adults.

And I DO CARE about how people spend their money! How can anyone, with a clear conscience, poop it off on such when others they pass/see everyday are cold, hungry and/or homeless?

We don't have a lot, but do care deeply for the less fortunate and try to help deserving, down on their luck folks as much as we can because it feels right and WE are blessed by it.

Suzi

• mrs.micki
    15 years ago

please someone send me to the spa.Pleeeaaaasseee!

• monica_pa Grieves
    15 years ago

For those who have never been to a neighborhood spa.

They are not like the spas you see pictured in resort hotels. No women lounging around with their faces wrapped in towels, feet up, being fed exotic fruits by one employee while another does their nails :)

Local shops that are described as Spas are simply full-service salons that offer more than just hair cuts and manicures.

There is a little more interior decoration...instead of white walls, there is some color. Mirrors in frames, some natural wood furniture, lamps, plants and flowers.
    Massages, facials and makeup application are additional services, and there are often light refreshments like bottled water and maybe fresh fruit or cookies.

Massages and facials are offered.

• azzalea
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Okay, this place is a chain.

Here's the website:

http://www.sweetandsassy.com/index.php

I just quickly skimmed through some of the packages and parties--it's far, far worse than I originally thought. Some of the stuff going on here literally turns my stomach. Besides that--given the kinds of stuff included in the parties, they must cost many hundreds of $$$, if not thousands (especially in this area--very high cost of living) Obviously, that's only one person's opinion. It's no skin off my nose if this place is successful or not, I just don't see subjecting any little girl I love to the kind of experience that teaches that this sort of artificial beauty is necessary. My skin is just crawling, thinking of the message these 'parties' are sending to very young children. Again, that's my opinion--you're very welcome to your own.

Can tell you this--dd and a friend are going to stop by to take a look at the place. Friend has a niece, and they're going to act like they want the price list for the party packages. If I get more info, I'll let you know.

• koda04
    15 years ago

* Posted by mrs.micki (My Page) on Sun, Dec 7, 08 at 8:54
    please someone send me to the spa.Pleeeaaaasseee!

ME TOO !!! pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease
    we don't have a local spa
    i don't even know what a spa looks like or even where the nearest to me would be found.... Mobile maybe??

• gardenspice
    15 years ago

Suzi - Since your comment was pretty much directed at my post: What I said was "I really don't give a darn what other people do with their time or money.
    As long as no one is being abused, people have the right to raise their kids how they see fit. None of my business."
    I absolutely DID NOT say that I don't care about the less fortunate or the homeless. (Quite the opposite, based on my charitable contributions.)
    And just because I would go so far to say MOST people spend money in ways I choose not to does not mean they also ignore those less fortunate than themselves.
    I try not to judge, because not one of us is perfect.

• caroline1947
    15 years ago

Never been to a local spa,,,we have none within 100 miles. And I agree with MittyGrits,,,I guess I DO care how people spend their money!!! Yes, its theirs,and its their right,and none of my business, but Im like Mitty,,,how they do it with a clear conscience is beyond me.Some peoples dogs eat better and are treated better than children.The other day I took a neighbor to a local food pantry to get food. In the waiting room were quite a few young gals waiting to get food with children with
    dirty little faces and raggedy clothes,,,and the mamas were sporting tatoos,nail salon fake nails,and trendy cell phones,and all had to run out for a smoke while they waited.This society is so not right!!!Too bad children have to be brought up in such a screwed up world.

• gardenspice
    15 years ago

Caroline - What is it about going to a spa that makes someone automatically uncaring about their fellow man? I'm just not getting that connection at all.
    What you describe seems much different than taking the tykes to a spa.
    What you describe IS child neglect - a form of abuse. IF you feel a child is being neglected or abused, it IS everyone's business and you should report it.
    I quite clearly delineated by stating "As long as no one is being abused.."

• stephanie_in_ga
    15 years ago

Well, this discussion got too interesting for me, and I guess I have too much time on my hands today. So I decided to do a little research and write this long-winded article for your reading enjoyment. ;o) There is a franchise of this business in the north Georgia area (close enough to me to make it a local phone call). So I called to ask their prices. This was for the sake of investigation and discussion, I don't plan to go. Like I said above, it's just not our cup of tea, my DD would only go kicking and screaming. It's all I can do to get her to brush her hair. ;o)

This package for one girl is $49.95, and takes 90 minutes. I'd guess you'd need to tip, too.
    Pampered Princess: Shampoo, haircut, style out, mini-mani, mini-pedi, 2 nail arts, ring, toe ring. There are smaller packages, and a bigger one that includes make-up.

So I also asked about a party, just one party package that seemed about middle of the road. A Perfect Princess Party is $259 for the birthday girl plus 8 guests, and includes:
    "We'll be getting you and your princess friends ready for the ball with beautiful gowns, fairy-tale up-dos, sparkling Make-up and the perfect nail polish. Then it's on to your crowning, where each princess is regally announced and receives her very own tiara and a sprinkling of fairy dust. The Princess Ball concludes with a group photo and each new princess receiving a certificate proclaiming her royal status, and fun and feasting in party place. 'Happily ever after' starts here. Party take-homes for each girl include the princess makeover, tiara, princess certificate and photo folio."

Their website also says they do workshops for girls, including one that's just for fun, one about manners, and one about operating a beauty business. The workshops run $20-25/girl. So, IMHO, they actually seem to offer diverse services for girls.

Just to compare to another affluent birthday experience, I also checked an American Girl party at one of their locations. That runs $450 for 8 girls, and it does include a meal as well as activity and game. An American Girl doll starts at $90, outfits are of course more. You can take your AG doll to a location and have her hair done for $10-20, depending on style. You won't see me having one of those parties, either, but I did just spend $150 on DD's American Girl doll to look like her, a gymnastics outfit and doll hair brush, that's her Christmas gift from us.

A ticket for one day in Disney's Magic Kingdom, Orlando, is $63/child and $75/adult. Of course, travel expenses would vary. For me, it would cost a tank of gas there, and another back. We could stay with family near-by, but we'd still spend money on food in the park. So if I only took DD for one day, it would run 138 admission, 120 gas (this week), 50 food, there is parking, too, right? So just over $300, no souvenirs.

The way I see, one of those experiences is no more of a crime against society, or no more morally corrupt, than another. It's OK to do something extravagant just to make your child feel special a few times in their life, so long as you can still pay your bills. Should a person feel guilty taking their kids on a vacation to Disney just because not everyone can afford to go? Should I skip an expensive anniversary dinner at a nice restaurant b/c some people won't have dinner? Or is it OK as long one also makes a generous contribution to a charity to compensate? If a person works hard for what they have, is it not OK for them to just enjoy a luxury once in a while? Does their experience have to meet some ethically acceptable standards to be justified?

I agree it is frivolous. So is a Disney vacation, a $90 doll and sets of dishes we use once a year. Does that make it a bad thing? I don't think so. We all justify a splurge once in a while with the thought it will make a loved one feel special. It's more affordable to make your daughter a princess for the day at this spa than to take her to see a princess at Disney. If a little girl with luekemia makes a wish to have a beauty treatment at this spa, who would deny her than wish b/c it is too vain? So then why is it wrong for any other little girl to want that treatment for a day?

The world is full of excessively vain people who have their priorities screwed up, I don't deny that. But pleasure in life's luxuries and compassion for others are not mutually exclusive.

• western_pa_luann
    15 years ago

^^^ AMEN to that!

• jenni_ca
    15 years ago

Thank you Stephanie in ga for that info AND for your opinion!
    I happen to agree with you! For whatever that's worth! LOL
    I just don't see taking little girls to a place like this as a life altering experience or a life lesson!
    Gee whiz...its for a day of fun. I doubt its teaching them anything that is going to alter their lives!

• grammahony
    15 years ago

After looking at the web site, I don't consider that a 'Spa'. I'd consider it a beauty/barber shop that caters to kids. And a party place where they can play dress up. I don't think that is bad at all. I was thinking of massages, facials etc.
    Leslie

• monica_pa Grieves
    15 years ago

Well said, Stephanie.
    So, what's wrong with taking your child to a profssional who specializes in children's haircuts ?
    The harm in a dress up, make believe princess party ?
    The prices are far from out of line....and for those who can afford it...why would any stranger care?
    And is it a crime to teach children to care about how they look, good grooming?

It's a far reach from looking presentable to being obsessive.