SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mrandmrsmiller2

I love his kids, but he's mean to my son

mrandmrsmiller2
21 years ago

We've been together for nearly 3 1/2 years and here we are...I'm sleeping upstairs contemplating how I can put mine, and my son's life back together if we divorce!

But I'm also torn with the horrible affect our splitting would have on HIS daughter! She's been through so much and has no one but me, and more often than not, her dad, to be there for her. The difference is that I don't sugar-coat life for her like her dad ALWAYS has. When her behavior sucks, I tell her so and tell her specifically how her inappropriate choices affect those around her! And she responds extremely well to this. Novel concept in parenting for my husband!

This is one of the main things we have fought about since I've known him...the children. I love his kids as if they were my own...AND THEY'RE NOT! Every time they enter MY house, his ex barges in with them! (she even called the weekend of our marriage and was put out when we made an issue of it!)Anyway, I know that he would have never married me if I had treated his kids with the same cold, uninterested, sometimes emotionally cruel manner he has always treated my son.

My son is with us all of the time. His bio dad supports him, but has chosen not to have a physical relationship with him...I thought I had married a DAD for my son...who would do ANYTHING for a dad! My husband is completely aware of the situation and always has been, yet he is actually compounding the issue.

Believe it or not, I do love my husband deeply and when the kids aren't around we get along wonderfully! I just feel pushed up against the wall with frustration as I've tried and tried to impress upon him the importance of what's going on here. And I also feel I'm being forced to protect my son from my husband, and that's horrible!

Oh, here's the other thing...he is extremely strict with my son and has many, many "rules" (for both of us, actually...I bought a horse and refuse to let him control me in any way so he's getting better with me)yet he can't see any need for applying the same rules to his kids when they are in our house, which further adds to my son's sense of loss. In fact, if I don't ask my husband to please take notice of what his kids are doing or saying, how their things are strewn all over (what's the big deal every second of the day, anyway???), I will say and do nothing, neither will he, until I explode! He enforces these often trivial things rigidly with my son, but doesn't see the need with his kids. This, of course, is demonstrated in front of my son.

This is what we are fighting about...his coldness to my son, and his inability to balance his parenting.

I don't understand his issues and have refused to go to the counsellor with him at this time, because my intolerance and hostility could prohibit him from honestly exploring his messed up issues...

Yikes, I'm REALLY angry, can you tell?

Sorry for ranting...

Comments (8)