SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_20093016

Boarding school saga continued (long)

User
9 years ago

My father had a General Store, a Grain Elevator, and a Stockyards, all necessarily situated beside a railroad track. We lived above the store. The family farm about a quarter-mile away was also his responsibility By the time my Senior year of High school approached, the depression was affecting my family severely.

The stock market crash had filtered down to us, with the lack of money and depressed prices. Then came several years of extreme drouth. This meant that products for my dad's business were not coming in. Folks who frequented his store were charging their purchases and he was too soft-hearted to dun them for payment. Our big garden was drying up, although we were able to produce at least some of the food we were used to.

As a result of all this, board and tuition money for my Senior year just wasn't there. It was arranged that, in payment for room and board, I would live with an elderly relative and her daughter. I was to help with housework and be a companion to the mother when the daughter was away. I became a "day student" at the school as were many of the local students. I walked the ten long blocks to and from school in the morning, back for lunch, and home in the afternoon. All of this exercise was good for me as I didn't have the severe colds that I had experienced when living in rather over-heated dormitories.

I found the mother and daughter pleasant to live with and the work not too overwhelming. They had a large family who often visited and were congenial.

Thus I was able to finish my senior year and to graduate at the top of my class in June.
(to be continued)

Comments (10)