SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alice462

OMG -- another delay!!! (long saga)

alice462
15 years ago

I have been absent for a while b/c I have been so discouraged and disheartened by our progress (or really, lack thereof). We have been without a kitchen since before Thanksgiving and as of the week before Xmas, we lost the laundry room, too. We trundled along until Thanksgiving and since then it has been one step forward two back at every turn.

Most of the cabinets went in and the good news is - I love the finish overall. The top for the hutch was scratched and had to be re-done, several doors were warped, and the stain on the knobs for the island and the hutch was off. The cabinetmaker readily willing to correct all of this.

The soapstone took a week or so longer to put in and although they did a great job on the matching of veins and the seams are practially invisible - they forgot to put the first coat of sealer on one of the slabs at the shop so that it is significantly lighter than the rest of the counters. I have been assured that is all that is needed and it will blend to the same color as the others. This was supposed to be done on Xmas Eve, I waited around here all day -- no show, no call...not a happy customer.

We had plans to visit family over the holidays -- scheduled to leave on Xmas Day staying gone for over a week, traveling to three separate states. Not to mention trying to have Xmas in house with plastic walls w/zipper doors in them to try and contain the dry wall dust. We had one corner of the family room where we put up a small tree -- the rest of the house either has furniture stacked in it or is torn up.

As it turns out, the finish that was put on my old waxed wood floors on the second floor did not adhere, so.....the rooms that had been emptied, floors finished, cleaned and furniture put back in, needed to be emptied again (on Xmas Day) so the floors could be re-done while we were gone.

Fast forward to family "vacation" crammed in a townhouse w/MIL in a state far away -- call from floor finisher "the floors turned out lighter than I expected, what do you want me to do?" My response -- "It needs to be the same color it was when you started -- how about a second coat of stain?? Sad voice says - "Oh, ooookkaayy, weeelll -- hope you are having a good time". Read - "glad you are having some fun, b/c this is no vacation job for me". Just made me grind my teeth as he was the one who screwed up the first pass at it, we tried to make it as easy as possible for him to get in and work by moving all the blasted furniture, not to mention taking down my meager tree, dismantling what little Xmas we had and trying to pack family of 5 for vacation during the holidays!

On same "vacation" -- telephone call from contractor: "The slab that you chose for the island is too short and will not work". OK - fuming, b/c I had traveled to another state, with island drawings and specs in hand in early November (the cabinetmaker was holding off on building the island until we could determine the longest slab we could find), specifically talking to the stone distributor about length and width of slab needed. Not many to choose from and I had made a second choice and told them to use that slab instead (it was the one my DH liked better anyway). No big deal, right? I made peace with that and moved on. This morning, the phone rings while I am in the car transporting my oldest back to school (I have been home a total of about 36 hours) and the fabricator is on the phone "The second slab was delivered to us this morning and my guy refused it b/c of scratches" OK...what do you suggest? "Well, let me re-measure the first one to see exactly what we have." Answer - it won't work. Next answer - going to have them re-deliver the second slab, look at it myself and since it was going to be honed see exactly what the issues with it are and whether it will work. OK....will wait for news on Thurs. about this piece. If this does not work, it means traveling to the dsitributor again and finding a new slab that has to be 118" long since the island is installed and waiting in the middle of my kitchen for several weeks for a top!

As I pulled into my driveway Sat. upon my return I see that the small roof over the new doorway has been put up, looks really wrong to me - like a foot higher than it should be -- looked like it was stuck on the side of the house and not meant to necessarily relate to the door at all. It was kind of dark so I say to myself, Breathe and wait until daylight and get a better look. Well, I have looked at it in daylight and it is just wrong.....call to contractor this morning. His respone - "They didn't do that exactly as I wanted so I needed them to make some adjustments anyway, let's look at it when we get some guys over there on Wed."

Cabinet installers here to "finish up" when I get back in town this afternoon after delivering the teenager back to boarding school. Tub front in master bath won't fit flush -- what to do, what to do?? How about you take it back and either re-build it or talk to the contractor and see what is going on with the tile that seems to have been installed rather unevenly.

Next, and boy do I hope last....the dishwasher cabinet panel won't fit flush b/c they installed the dishwasher relative to the counter, not the cabinets! Inset cabinets, no less!

Several weeks ago I thought we were close to having a kitchen, working master bath, working laundry and another entry other than my front door (that was delayed b/c they miscalculated the amount of brick needed and we had to order more so they could finish steps to the new entry)

The happy new year that I imagined is just not happening and I am just tired, tired, tired! I keep trying to remind myself that in the big scheme of things - we are healthy, I have wonderfully resilient children who are rolling with having a bedroom and then not having a bedroom and then having a different bedroom, we have a roof over our heads and are able to put food on our table each day.

But the light that seemed to glimmering at the end of the tunnel is getting really hard to see.....

Comments (11)