SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissastar

The tile saga...lesson: never give up...LONG

melissastar
11 years ago

Thought the story of my kitchen tile might serve to encourage folks who are suffering the frustrations of renovations.

One of the various things my GC (otherwise known as the RTSOG--rotten thieiving sack of garbage)stuck me with before I threw him off the job and took him to arbitration, was a tile kitchen floor with three cracked tiles. The subcontractor who had installed it, as well as done most of the actual construction work on the house, came by to see something else and when I pointed it out to him, he immediately checked, said yes, they cracked because the joists below it weren't properly supported. He quickly admitted it must have been his oversight, immediately fixed the joists and set a time to come by and replace the broken tiles.

Unfortunately, when he came with helper to replace the 3 tiles, he gave instructions to the helper to cut them out, but forgot that there was electric heat wiring beneath them. So...though he hollered "stop" as soon as he recalled, it was too late...the wires were cut. Now he had to repair the heat as well. To his credit, he did so, after another few weeks delay while we located the proper "repair" kit. Then he replaced the broken tiles with 3 of my remaining 4 kitchen tiles.

But, when the cold weather comes, the heating isn't working. So I call him back. He comes with electrician, they determine, yes it's still cut somewhere and we now have to pull up about 9 sq feet of tiles to make sure there are no nicks anywhere. But...I have only 1 tile left. Worse, it was bought at auction, it's natural stone (leathered limestone) and I now longer have the boxes or recall the name of the manufacturer. I hunt for the name of the tile on line...can't find anything. I spend every weekend in Jan. traipsing to every tile store within a 30 mile radius seeking a reasonable match. The closest I find is quoted at $55 a square foot AND it would need to be refinished from polished to leathered. The subcontractor is blanching, but still owning up to his responsibility to make good.

Finally, I find a tile guy who recognizes my one remaining tile, knows who the manufacturer is and tells me that they were sold at auction because the manufacturer closed their east coast warehouse. But he'll try to track some of the tile down on the West Coast. Two weeks later, he reports back...no go. His contact there has disappeared. But maybe, he says, I can contact the manufacturer directly.

So I find them on line and fire off an email saying I need 20 square feet of this tile and could they tell me if there is any to be found in the U.S.? An hour and a half later I get an email from Cairo (where it is now midnight), saying that tile is discontinued and I won't find it in the U.S., but he found some in their warehouse in Cairo and can either air freight it to me or put it on their next container shipment to N.Y. I say YES, please! How much?

$12 a square foot plus $80 for ocean shipping, it should arrive in March.

Each month after March, I get a message from Omar saying...

container hasn't left yet...should be there NEXT month.

Today, I got the message from Omar that my tile is in Baltimore and I can pick it up...no delivery charge and because of the wait, he's discounting it 50%!

Wahoo!

Comments (14)