SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
theresse_gw

Ok getting worried about new counter...

theresse
13 years ago

It's always something, right?

Ok I love the look of our newly-installed countertop (hardware not on cabs yet and kitchen obviously not done yet). But I'm concerned about what the stainless steel fabricator's measurer guy (he even did a template) got wrong, and whether or not I should be having them replace the whole darned countertop before the tile goes in (how easily can a big countertop be removed without hurting the cabinets beneath it?)!

Here's what went wrong: he measured incorrectly and when the countertop was placed on top and pushed back against the wall, it left no overhang. I need every bit of overhang I can squeeze out of this small space and a half-inch was all I could get...but to get none was inexcusable. So they pulled the countertop toward the front more, leaving a gap in the back and said my contractor would have to put in backerboard before placing the tile. They knocked $100 off the price. I paid half down several weeks ago and then wrote a check Friday evening for the second half. It will be deposited sometime Monday (today by the time you read this, for most of you).

I'm concerned because:

1. the space left behind the countertop is 1/4" in some areas and 1/2" in others. Will the subway tile be easily put on evenly/flush with itself? I'll be charged by the hour. The tile going in is honed marble and very straight and will have only 1/16 space between each tile.

2. The portion of the countertop that was supposed to overhang (and now is) is supposed to wrap around the substrate, but the substrate - due to their mis-measuring, is pushed toward the back and doesn't come all the way out a half-inch past the faces of the lower cabs, as I'm guessing it should. The two concerns here are:

a) that if you put your fingers under there you can feel where the wrap ends and there's this hollow gap (what will end up in there? Spiders? Pinched little fingers?) and

b) that the METAL countertop won't have the support it needs in order to prevent getting dinged. That's a pretty big piece of the whole stainless countertop decision. The substrate prevents denting and that hollow, tinny noise metal countertops can otherwise make. And the edge of a countertop is the most vulnerable to denting - especially in my house.

3. On the far right end of the countertop, a small bit of it now extends beyond the kitchen door's trim or jam. Not a deal-breaker since that door swings outward but it's yet another thing (much smaller issue though, admittedly. They did a fine job welding shut that open corner in my front yard before repositioning the countertop)...

Do I dare ask them to replace the countertop? Will they likely say yes/no? Is it hard to remove? If it can be removed without damage, maybe they could weld the wrap-around part, fixing at least that?

Thank you. I can't believe how pretty much not one part of this kitchen has been without a misunderstanding, presumption or time-and/or-money-wasting or else have-to-live-with mistake. Sighhhh.....

Comments (21)