SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kristeenizzio

Worried about new Petunia hanging basket

Kayki
6 years ago

I just bought a medium sized hanging basket (easy wave plum veined petunias) and they are beautiful! I'd realllllly like to keep them that way so, here goes: when I got home from buying plamt, she looked a biy wilted and seemed like she was thirsty. So, of course I watered her and have her plant food (MiracleGrow water soluble fertilizer) my watering can is only approx. A quart and the directions said to mix 1 and 1/2 tablespoon of fertilizer per 1 and 1/2 gallons of water .....so I wasn't sure exactly how much fertilizer to add to the quart sized watering can (I ended up adding 1 teaspoon to 1 quart of water) and poured all of it into planter. There are drainage holes, but no water came out of them. Afraid of overwatering, I didn't add anymore. The next morning, however, the petunias still seemed a but wilted, so I have in and have her more water (this time I watered until water ran through the drainage holes) she took about a whole quart and a half more of water before water started running through holes. So I gathered she was really dry* that was yesterday, and I have not watered her anymore today. She doesn't need anymore yet. She's already looking better as far as wilting goes. However, i have a few more concerns: a couple of the leaves towards the base of the main stem are turning a light green color (not rotting or anything, just discolored) I be read this is from overwatering, but I'm wondering if it's just because this part of thr plant doesn't get much sunlight due to the sense foliage above? And also, how often do I need to water and fertilize her ? I want a healthy plant- I don't mind weekly feedings if that's what she needs- and how much fertilizer (MaricleGrow) does she need per quart of water? One more question (I know this is long I'm so sorry) but is she cramped in this basket? She came already planted, and I'm wondering if she's too crowded in this planter and if she needs to be planted intro a bigger planter? Photos below* any advice you guys can give is greatly appreciated* I currently only have her and an Easter lily from Easter to care for atm. I am patiently waiting to plant the Lily

you can see the yellowing leaves in second photo^^^ one last thing: I habe been plucking off the dead blooms to make it *easier* on her lol. And I also have been bringing her inside at night As as it is still getting pretty cold here at nighttime (last night got down to 46°f) I am in zone 5b for hardiness

Comments (9)