SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

A Few New Tomatoes For Containers, Hanging Baskets

Okiedawn OK Zone 7
13 years ago

With the increased interest in home gardening the last few years, plant breeders have been working on breeding smaller plants that thrive in containers and in hanging baskets. Several new ones are on the market this year, including a "jr." tumbling tom type that stays even smaller, a green/red "striped" tumbling tom type and some really dwarf cherries "called "Neat N Sweet". Some of these can be grown in pots as small as 4" to 6" in size. I'm going to try some of those really small ones in window boxes this year.

The only place I've seen all (maybe not "all", but "most") of the new "small" ones together in one place so far is at Swallowtail Garden seeds. I've linked their tomato page below.

I can't vouch for the flavor of all these new ones, but I'm looking forward to trying them. While the Tumbling Tom Red and Tumbling Tom Yellow tomatoes I grew last year weren't the best cherries I've ever had (once you've eaten SunGold and Black Cherry, nothing ever compares to them), the guys at DS's fire station gobbled them right up and loved them. They were extremely productive, so I'll be growing them again this year for the firefighters.

While you're at Swallowtail, you ought to go check out their flowers, other veggies and herbs too! They have a fantastic selection, in particular, of vining flowers.

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: Cherry Tomatoes At Swallowtail Garden Seeds

Comments (4)