SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
home_tundrah

Old School HOA Board needs money saving landscaping advice!

tundrah desert
16 years ago

Hello,

I need some expert advice on large-scale landscaping changes that can help our HOA save some money and ideally be more environmentally friendly as well.

background: I was recently elected (coerced?) to be on my HOA board (lucky me). We are a relatively small and older complex (only 40 units, built in the late 60s) and we sit on a relatively large lot of 8 acres. Our landscape is very mature as much of it was planted btw 20-40 years ago. Our landscape maintenance costs are very high, which is understandable due to the amount of mature vegetation and lawn that needs to be cared for.

Our financial situation however is not pretty--the complex is old and was not maintained well for many years. Things are starting to fall apart and HOA fees have already been raised to astronomical levels. We NEED to figure out ways to lower our monthly expenditures if we are to get out of the financial hole that has been created.

So, I am the swashbuckling spring chicken that is trying to look at things in a new light. My main target at this point is the landscaping, primarily an unused swath of lawn that sits under a city power line. Its huge--I'd guess an acre--and its entirely lawn. Blech! The amount of water and energy and money spent and omissions spewed mowing that space is obscene.

I've sniffed around here a bit and have seen advice on native wildflowers or grasses... Is that our best bet? It does need to be a solution that is somewhat "kept" looking as it backs up to another complex's lawn of the same makeup.

Also, any advice for economically dealing with old landscapes would be huge. We are in the perfect climate for lo-water plants, but I think my radical ideas of xeriscaping aren't going to be welcomed just yet... maybe someone can help me offer some less drastic solutions, then once those work I can take over as the landscape expert! I'd love to see succulent forests and meandering gravel paths across the whole property!

thanks in advance, sorry for the long post.

Comments (11)