SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

Tell Us About Your Mother

alisande
15 years ago

Around Mother's Day 2007 we created a thread of memories of our mothers. Many beautiful stories were shared. Margad reminded me about it recently, and suggested that we start a similar thread. We didn't do it in May, but now is as good a time as any. I hope many will add to this thread. I'll start by telling you about the woman who was my stepmother for 41 years.

Marion was 43 years old when she married my dad. She had never been married. Her one semi-serious boyfriend had died from a fall out of an apple tree. It might have been the first tree hed ever climbed; he was a city boy, raised in the Bronx, as she was.

She was a good daughter who went to work in a bank after graduating high school, helped to support the family, and never left home. She loved her parents, Scottish immigrants, and her brother. Her mother died when Marion was in her thirties. Her brother still lived at home, too, and after she married my dad she made trip from Queens to the Bronx a couple of times a week to tend to their apartment and do their laundry.

I was 11, and had been in a boarding school for the two years since my motherÂs death. Marion was nothing like my mom, but I was happyÂhappy to be coming back home, and happy that I was going to have a mother again. Marion, unfamiliar with relationships of various kinds, including husbands and children, didnÂt think I wanted a mother. She gave me what she thought was the reassuring information that she had no intention of trying to replace my mother. Instead, she would be my friend. It was a gross misunderstanding, one of many.

We fought. We fought continually, and often cruelly. I tend to get over things quickly, whereas she held onto anger. So many afternoons I came home from school to find myself locked out of the apartment because of that morningÂs fight. The fights went on for years. And yet, I was aware that I would probably grow to be a kinder person because of her. Marion had an innocence about herÂnot always apparent, especially in our raging arguments, but there nonetheless.

There were brief respites, of courseÂshopping trips, movies, our family card games (her dad was a great addition to these), and the occasional shared joke. But she remained "Marion," and the hurt went deep. I was 30 years old and pregnant with my first child when I overheard her talking to a neighbor and I tearfully complained to my father that after all these years she still referred to me as "my husbandÂs daughter."

The change came about when I had children. She was a wonderful grandmother. Although we lived 1500 miles apart, every holiday was an occasion for her to shop for little party dresses and handknit sweaters. My children took to her immediately, and she to them. She was always Grandma. I donÂt know when I began calling her Mama, but by then it seemed perfectly natural.

My dad died first, at 90, and by then Mama and I were very close. When she went two years later, I was at her side, telling her what a wonderful mother and grandmother she was, and how much I loved her. I came home and said to my daughter, "No one will ever sound that happy to hear my voice on the phone again." That was 13 years ago, and I miss her still.

IÂm crying as I write this, the fights forgotten.

Comments (15)