SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
splinter1804

"Tell us about your growing conditions"

splinter1804
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hi everyone.

I live in Australia on the south east coast of NSW just a couple of hours south of Sydney.

We are in a temperate climate which allows me to grow my brom's all outside and without the need for glass houses. Many are in the open garden, and with the better ones the most protection being a shade cloth covering.

The average temperatures are 17 °C (62.6°F) . in the winter and 27 °C (80.6°F) . in the summer. On rare occasions we experience extreme conditions such as now when we are experiencing the coldest winter I can remember in my seventy five years. Temp's have been down to almost 0 °C (32°F) on a couple of occasions and the cold south west wind produces a wind chill factor which makes it feel much colder.

On the other end of the scale a few years back we had January heat waves where the highest recorded temperature was 44.1 °C (111.38°F) at the weather station in Wollongong, and it just touched 50 °C (122°F). on one occasion in my shade house.

The end results of these weather extremes are heat and cold damage to our plants. Losses are few, and in many cases the bromeliads bounce back and soon produce pups to continue the life cycle.

It's important to know what your growing conditions are like when we are comparing plants and giving advice. Given my conditions, I find it hard to imagine that some dedicated people in some countries have to revert to growing plants inside under lights and with the aid of artificial heat; so please share your conditions so we all understand how you grow your plants.

All the best, Nev.

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting
More Discussions