Clever Pet Names?
14 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (103)
- 14 years ago
- 14 years ago
Related Discussions
Sad pet question: do pets need a wake?
Comments (19)Oh, KitchenDetective, I am so sorry to hear what you are going through. I had to have my rottie girl euthanized in January after a long bout with cancer. I was devastated even though I had plenty of time to prepare.. and it's only very recently that my other dog has settled into the loss. I wanted to share my experiences because like you, my other dog is a lab and a rescue. I think those two things affect how a pet will respond-- labs are so incredibly social and sensitive to their "pack". My situation was compounded a bit by the fact that Beau, my lab, is very old and deaf. I had no idea how much Grace had assisted him in interacting with his world. They both always greeted me at the door-- but without Grace, Beau doesn't know when I arrive. He doesn't know when I call him for dinner or to go out. While in the old days he used to follow me around the house and be bonded to me, when I adopted Grace, they were much more bonded to each other. The good news is that now, 6 months later, he has become more focused and sensitive to my movements again and we are learning to work together despite the fact that he is deaf. Some of the things I did to help us both get past the grieving was to change some of our routines. Beau was my first dog and we were very well bonded but when Grace came into the picture the two of them were attached at the hip-- not that I was on the outside or unbonded but they definitely had thier own bond. I have spent a lot of time bonding with him again but in new ways (partially because he is now 16-17 yo). He won't go near where they used to sleep (they slept side by side) so I have taken that as a sign that he needed to change things up. I feed him at different times now and in a different spot.. our play is different.. and we walk, relax and bond differently and, of course, more frequently. I didnt share Grace's ashes with Beau-- it was clear to him that she was sick and he knew when she was gone. I don't know if it would have helped.. others in my life have been urging me to adopt another dog or a cat but I just don't have the heart for that right now. Beau is very old for a lab and I know my next loss will be even harder for me to handle. I question myself sometimes..because I DO think he'd do much better with another animal in the house. I don't know if that is an option for you, but it is something to consider. All I can say to you is to read your dog.. and to do what feels right for you, your family and him. My heartfelt hugs to you. I know this is a very hard time for you. I know nothing will make it better for you but I hope you find comfort in knowing there are others who understand your pain....See MorePet names
Comments (70)I like all the names. Lemon and Elvis especially. Our Names: Dogs: Golden Son of Warwick - Sonny passed 7-01 Catherine's Special Valentine - 12 yrs. - Martha a/k/a Foosy Girl, Boofus, Wafu, Sal, The Warden (former owner called her Thumbelina) I changed that when I rescued her. Jollymuff Charming Lowell - 5 yrs. - Lowell - no nicknames Jollymuff Country Gentlemen - 2 yrs. - Chester a/k/a Chett, Einstein, Chetter Bug, Chess, Cheese Rat Cats: Tigger - deceased Skippy - deceased Charlie - deceased - All died from CRF - I guess it is something in the water here?????? Also, I have learned from this forum that you can keep a cat with CRF alive. I intend to question the vet should it ever occur again. Oliver - 5 Handsome -3 Louis - 7 mos. When we add another puppy, we will add a female and her name will be Ruby. DH and DD hate it, but they have chosen all of the other names, with the exception of Handsome, I found him so I named him....See MoreClever Compost Collection ideas? (for inside the kitchen)
Comments (45)I use an old three-gallon enameled pail I bought at an auction and an old pot lid that fits on the top (to keep the nosey cats out). It lives either on the floor or on the counter, depending. It's emptied to the compost pile last thing at night when one of us make the rounds to check on things in the barns before bed. In the summer it is sloshed out at the outdoor tap and left upside down to dry overnight. In the winter (does that still happen these days?) it is brought in and left to freeze in the wood room when we bring the last firewood in for the night. During major preservation orgies I use a giant SS bowl (probably 2 feet across) that gets filled to heaping and dumped as needed. My late MIL used a SS pail (with a lid - actually the lid I now use, sans pail; I wonder where the pail went?) for her compost enroute to her chickens. My own Mother used a lidded ceramic casserole as a collection point, dumped every morning after the egg shells from breakfast were added. My compost pile is literally a pile. During warm weather I stick a fork in it occasionally and have at it once or twice per season with the bucket loader to tumble it. Most of the time I just let Nature takes its course. If it gets too big, I just started dumping stuff on the ground next to it. Easy-peasy. Once in a awhile I add the gleanings from the (pet) rabbits' cages to boost the nitrogen component, but that manure (and more particularly, the bunny pee) is too "hot" to add it all the time. Mostly the cage-gleanings go on their own pile that I manage more intensively than the veg. compost pile, which is a totally laissez-affair. Every summer I plan to use saplings to make a nice cage around my veg. compost pile - laid up in a loose log-cabin-like framework. But in two-plus decades here I have always chosen the slattern's approach of just dumping stuff on the ground. That really pleases the skunks and opossums, no doubt. In the end I get nice friable organic matter that I slap around the garden so no evidence of my decades of sloth is apparent. L....See MoreWho has the best pet names?
Comments (56)One Spring, a friend got an Irish setter and named her April May. My daughter always named our pets. We had a poodle she named Spiro Agnew, but later changed it to Spooky. Then we had a husky-spitz she named Rachael and a hamster around the same time was named Jamie. If anyone remembers the soap opera "Another World", Rachael and Jamie were mother/son characters on that show. Parakeets were Sugar and Spice. A turtle was named "Yurtle" (as in a Dr. Seuss book)....See More- 14 years ago
- 14 years ago
- 14 years ago
- 14 years ago
- 14 years ago
- 14 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
Related Stories

KITCHEN DESIGN6 Clever Kitchen Storage Ideas Anyone Can Use
No pantry, small kitchen, cabinet shortage ... whatever your storage or organizing dilemma, one of these ideas can help
Full Story
FUN HOUZZ16 Creative Paint Color Names We Haven't Seen — Yet
Someday, the namers of new paint colors will finally run out of ideas. We're here to help
Full Story
ARCHITECTUREHomes Play the Name Game
What's in a name? These homes convey personality, philosophy and description, whether dubbed by the architects or the clients themselves
Full Story
PETSA Romp Through Pet-Friendly Materials
Deceptively durable, these stylish flooring materials and fabrics let you give Fluffy the run of the house
Full Story
PETSHere’s How to Show Your Pet Even More Love
February 20 is Love Your Pet Day. Find all the ideas and inspiration you need to celebrate right here
Full Story
FUN HOUZZHouzz Pets: 50 Cats Cozy Up at Home
Design-Loving Felines Have the Run of the House
Full Story
HOME TECHFacebook Meets Fido: Pet Connections for the Digital Age
Three new products let you communicate with your dog or cat while you're at work
Full Story
PETS15 Doggone-Good Tips for a Pet Washing Station
Turn a dreaded chore into an easier task with a handheld sprayer, an elevated sink or even a dedicated doggie tub
Full Story
40 Fun Gifts for Your Pet-Loving Friends
Houzz Gift Guide: 40 New Ways to Love Dogs, Cats and Birds in Style
Full Story
PETSWorld of Design: Pampered Pets and Their 10 One-of-a-Kind Homes
Fall in love with these critters and their clever living spaces, from a cat playground in France to a chicken house in the U.S.
Full Story

Jodi_SoCal