SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shopperpicky

Would you open 'can of worms' after many years? (long)

amicus
10 years ago

Years ago my sister got pregnant as an 18 year old. She told the boy, but he went away to college and out of her life.
At age 13 my niece wanted to know about her father, so my sister allowed her to contact him. 'John' had no other children, and was eager to be a father figure to her, after not being part of her life until then. My niece is now 33 and due to distance, they see each other a few times a year.

Back when my mother was alive, she used to tell me that she was certain that a different young man was my niece's real father. My mother had seen the two boys my sister was dating during the time she got pregnant. She claimed my niece was a dead ringer for the other guy, right from childhood. As she grew up, my mother said it became even more obvious, as my niece has the short stocky stature of the other guy and the identical face. Admittedly, she doesn't have the tall slim build of either her mother or John, nor any similar facial features. (My niece always likens her short height to her grandmother, who was just a bit taller.)

I don't know if my mother ever confronted my sister with her suspicions, or if she only revealed them to me, as we were very close. I'm not comfortable asking my sister at this point, how she was certain she allowed the right man to step in as a father to her child, since he has been happy to be in her daughter's life for the past 20 years. (My sister never married, so there is no other father around.)

I decided long ago to never say a word, especially as the other guy (even if he could be proven to be the biological father) might want nothing to do with his daughter, which could really upset my niece, and would surely cause problems in her relationship with her mother and probably John.

The only reason this is making me ponder now, after all these years, is because my own grown daughter (who is very close to her cousin) overheard me talking with DH, and says she would definitely want to know if it were her.
DD says she would be thrilled at the possiblity of having any half siblings who might want to become a part of her life, especially in later years when her parents have passed.

However, DD agrees that confiding in her cousin about the conversation she overheard, carries the same risks that made me never bring this up with my sister. After all, it was her Aunt's decision years ago about the young man she named as the father, and most importantly, this whole can of worms is based purely on my later mother's suspicions. Opinions?

Comments (28)