SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
begonia2015

Killing violets after so many years. Is it my watering habbits?

begonia2015
8 years ago

I don't understand why I can't keep many violets going for too long. They will go for a while, maybe a few months, and then I will kill them. Once in a while one will get floppy, wilty leaves over night and it doesn't recover.

One thing I am doing which I suspect might be the culprit is the way I water. Because of my busy schedule...I sometimes involuntarily let the soil get too close to "dry" and then I water them with what I believe is a little amount of water. But even being careful not to over-water, one violet will still get floppy once in a while and not recover.

Is going from a bit dry to watered THAT bad for them?I certainly don't over-water - at least I think I don't.

I am afraid I may expose them to too many dry-wet fluctuations and then one eventually one succumbs to the difference.

Wicking is probably the answer but I only grow a few for decorative purposes and I don't like the way the wicking set-up looks. Unless I use one of those self-watering pots with holes in the upper pot. I place the wicked plastic pot in the self-watering upper container and the wicks go down through its holes and into the lower container that holds the water.

I already have one set up like that but I need to buy more of those - and they are not inexpensive. Another problem is that they elevate the plant too much and they will get too close to the light fixture - as my shelves are not adjustable.

I am getting the curling down and tightening effect with most of them (looked under microscope, no mites) - which also makes me suspect too much light.

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations