SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melikesthepeculiar

Crazy personal introduction (back after many years)

melikesthepeculiar
13 years ago

Hello, I have just joined the gardenweb forums after having been away for 12 years! I thought I would write up a personal introduction and blurb about myself.

First I have an interesting story to tell about myself- it is kind of crazy, and it actually is related to something that happened on the forums here. It is slightly strange and I seriously doubt there is anybody on here that will remember this, but I am hoping that by some miracle somebody will remember me. So here goes:

My name is Matt and I live near Seattle. I originally was on these forums when I was a teenager, probably 15 or 16 years ago. I had many friends online and I posted regularly..there was rarely a day I didn't visit the forums. Some of the women on the forum had practically "adopted me" as a son. (we used to joke)

I was using my dad's computer at the time, and it broke, so I was unable to post to the forums for several weeks. Coincidentally, at that time there were some serious catastrophes in Washington such as flooding, and so some of the folks on the forums started to worry about me since I hadn't posted in weeks. So they frantically called all kinds of places trying to find out if I was ok. If I recall correctly, they contacted the Seattle Times newspaper, and I was contacted through them.

Eventually everybody found out I was ok, and I got my "15 minutes of fame" when my story was featured in the newspaper! It was embarrassing because I was in high school at the time and I was a huge nerd and then everybody saw the article. Hilariously, the newspaper article ended to the effect of saying "a lot of other kids think gardening is nerdy..but then again they aren't getting emails from Ingrid in Sweden."

Sooooooo, that is my ridiculous story, and I don't know if anybody on here remembers that or if there are even any of those folks on here anymore, but I truly hope there are so we can talk again.

Now a blurb about myself as a fresh introduction:

When I was a teenager I was really into plants, and then life happened and I drifted away from it. Well things have changed and I am 30 now, and I have been hit with the "gardening bug" again. Suddenly I can't stop thinking about gardening...I am addicted and I keep buying more plants.

Lately I have been working on my rock garden. Just like years ago, I am interested in strange and unusual plants. Hence my username on the forums "meLikesThePeculiar". I like alpines and dwarf plants, carnivorous plants, and huge plants like gunnera. I've been searching for some rare and hard to find rock garden plants lately.

Another hobby of mine is photography. I also enjoy writing. Currently I do web design for a job. Recently I have realized that my heart is with photography and writing, and that web design is not what I should really be doing. I think it's a good time to make the switch to do what I truly love as a career. Life is too short to work at something you don't like.

Well, that's my crazy intro. I would love to make new friends here, and by chance rekindle old friendships. Take care!

Matt

Comments (15)

Sponsored
More Discussions