SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
goldgirl_gw

Back after a long break, can you help with a home office?

goldgirl
16 years ago

It's been awhile since I've been around regularly, back in 2004/05. Now a few years and two states later, I'm finally ready to put a home office/library together. But I need to do it quickly.

I'll be starting law school in the fall part-time (at age 46 LOL), while continuing to work as a journalist. However, I'll probably be writing more at home and less in the office and commuting a lot. I'd like this room to be comfy and functional, so I don't have to think about where things are. The space isn't anything special but at 13 x 13, is roomy. I'm thinking of putting an L-shaped desk in the corner where the folding tables are...maybe something like this...

...although I'm not sure if I'll need more flat room to spread out books for school. I'm a traditional-style girl and would like this room to have a strong library feel. The closets have a single wire shelf, so I'm wondering about some kind of organizers for those.

My going back to school is putting us on a tight deadline to try and get several home projects done within the next six months. I'm having trouble even thinking about options here and would be grateful for suggestions on anything - other furniture, colors, etc. (The hallway is a deep yellow/gold and we have deep colors elsewhere throughout the house - reds, olive greens and blues.

Normally I'd scour craig's list for furniture but don't have much time to shop around, although I will check out a few local used office furniture stores. I have three high-quality solid wood bookcases I bought off craig's last year for $35 each and always intended to stain a little darker. I don't care for oak but they're so strong that I couldn't pass them up. So, I can use those, but still need a desk, etc. I'd like furniture that's a little nicer than what's at the big box office stores.

Help??

{{gwi:1599317}}

{{gwi:1599318}}{{gwi:1599319}}
{{gwi:1599320}}{{gwi:1599321}}

Comments (16)