SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zeebee_gw

After five years at GW, FINALLY! Would love floorplan feedback

zeebee
12 years ago

FINALLY and at long last, we are at the floorplan stage of our long-delayed kitchen renovation. I need help choosing among floorplans or tweaking one plan to optimize it.

Background: this is the renovation of a garden/ground floor in a narrow (18.75' x 45') brick rowhouse. We made two decisions with major impact on the kitchen layout: first is opening up the north-facing wall of the kitchen and installing French doors to bring in light and access the garden. Second is to move the dining area into the kitchen and turn the large formal dining room into a guest bedroom. The layout of the garden floor is below:

Kitchen itself: two of us, no kids, one cook. Infrequent formal entertainers, steady trickle of house guests (1-2 at a time), lots of scratch baking and cooking, some batch freezing (soups, stocks, tomato sauce). Due to dietary limitations, my husband and I eat very different foods, so at dinner time I use more burner/ovens than your typical two-person household.

Appliances: 36" built-in fridge/freezer, will do supplemental freezer in basement if necessary. 48" gas range for the burner and oven flexibility - slight overkill, as my ideal is a six-burner cooktop and wall ovens, but for space considerations this kitchen seems best suited to a range. DH is a beer and wine enthusiast, as well as a big coffee/tea drinker, so I included a separate beverage area with counter space for the coffee machine and kettle.

The only immovable object in the kitchen area is a 62" chimney breast, floor to ceiling, approximately 4" deep. Since the chimney breast is a built-in focal point, plus has the most logical chase for venting, it is where I put the range in each of the floorplans, and why the range is bumped out.

Plan 1 is where I started:

My main concern is the 26" counter on one side of the sink is too multi-use - landing space for grocery bags as well as food taken from fridge, prep space and likely pileup place for dirty dishes to be scraped into the trash. I toyed with two other plans to separate the dishwasher from the main prep area/island, thereby expanding my prep area and getting another sink into play:

Plan 2 - moved the dishwasher over by the windows - improvement?

Plan 3 - moved the fridge over by the windows-

I really like the location of the wall sink but do not like mixing my daily dishes, pots, pans and prep stuff in one large set of cabinets. Plus the landing area to the right of the range is really small.

So what do you think? Which is the best and what in it needs improving?

Please excuse the weird small measurement differences between plans (like banquette openings), it is my clumsiness at positioning the measurement arrows in the software.

Thanks in advance for any comments and suggestions.

Comments (31)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!