SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
michaelgrundvig

New House Floorplan - We'd Love Feedback!

michaelgrundvig
9 years ago

Hi all; we've finally started seriously looking to build a new house. We plan on this house being the last place we will live and we'd love to give it to our children when we are gone. The house itself is on a lot that backs up against a huge park that will be here for many years to come. The attached plans are the first draft our architect has produced for us. It will be a ranch with a basement for all intents and purposes. This is only the first floor. The basement will be ready to be finished when we move in but we won't be finishing initially - just roughing it in.

We are planning on ICF construction using engineered roof and floor trusses with a ground-source heat pump system for HVAC. It's a very fine balancing act between up front building cost and long term cost and quality of the house. We are focusing on getting the core "envelope" of the house as solid as possible while trying to keep the budget down with the amenities and frills. We'll be doing some amount of work ourselves and we are acting as the general contractor.

At this point, I'd love any sort of feedback we can get on the floorplan itself and what people think. It's got some small amount of accessibility in mind but only to a limited degree, slightly wider doorways, no curb shower, etc. but we've not gone tons farther than that. As this is only a sketch, it's unclear but the great room will have a vaulted ceiling while the kitchen and bedrooms are all 9 feet starting. The bedrooms will have tray ceilings as well.

Thanks in advance for any feedback, I greatly appreciate it!

-Mike and Jamie

P.S. The high resolution link is at the bottom of this post below the pre-shrunk image I uploaded :)

Here is a link that might be useful: High Resolution Version

Comments (10)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH