SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jodi_socal

Fun and Unique Fundraising Ideas Needed

Jodi_SoCal
10 years ago

I have a friend named Cindy Abbott who is a pretty amazing woman. In 2007 she was diagnosed with a rare disease (Wegener's granulomatosis) and is now functionally blind in one eye and because of the disease her other eye is threatened. It's a vascular disease.

When she was diagnosed, she had already (at the age of 50) decided she wanted to summit Mt. Everest. So despite her disease, she trained for that event and summited in 2010.

She wrote a book called "Reaching Beyond The Clouds: From Undiagnosed To Climbing Mt. Everest." which I have read and it's excellent. My stomach was in my throat while reading some of the treacherous things she had to do to summit Everest. When she reached the top, she held a banner for NORD, the National Organization of Rare Diseases to bring awareness to this potentially deadly and rare disease.

Next she thought she'd like to run the Iditarod, the toughest race on earth ... 1,150 miles on a dog sled from Anchorage to Nome, AK in the most unforgiving environment on earth. Again, to bring awareness to rare diseases. She did that this year but broke her pelvis in two places 20 miles into the race and scratched (pulled out) of the race 250 miles short of the finish line.

Cindy is going to do the race again in 2014 but it is very expensive to run the race. Between the entrance fee, equipment, upkeep of dogs, always mindful of their health and well being, food and hay airplane drops at checkpoints, etc. costs run close to $50k.

Cindy came over to my house on Monday to ask if I could help her come up with any fundraising ideas. She truly hates the idea of asking anyone for money but it's unfortunately a necessary evil of the game plan.

We are looking for unique fundraisers to get Cindy back on the trail next March so she can finish the race and once again hold up the NORD banner. Any ideas? She is already auctioning copies of her book and some of her gear from last year's race but even if everything sells, it will not bring enough money in to cover her expenses.

Below is a poster Cindy just had made for a program called Teachers on the Trail. Her web site is currently down for maintenance but when it's back up and running, you can read a bit more about Cindy.

Jodi-

Please, no comments on the ethics of sled dog racing. The dogs always come first and are monitored closely by vets before and during the race. They are highly regarded as family members and very willing team members. If you feel you just have to make some comment, contact me privately. Thanks.

Comments (15)