SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
curlysue_gw

I'm not a smart driver. Are you?

curlysue
14 years ago

Here's the deal. I had an sppointment yesterday in the next county-I had never been to this dr's office before and SO drives people to drs and hospitals for a living so he told me exactly how to get there. I got lost. I drove up and down the road that I knew it was on but still could not find it, since I don't own a cell phone or a gps, I went straight to the top, I said dear Lord please help me find this and then out of nowhere SO was in front of me-turns out he had a client going to the same dr. I told him he was my knight is shining armour riding a white stallion-well he does have grey hair and he was driving a white van LOL

Am I the only person in the world that has this problem-I mean seriously, anytime I leave my little world I am lost. DD attends school 100 miles away and I have never driven there by myself, for fear of getting lost.

I promise I am going to get SO a GPS for Christmas this year just so I can use it. I think I may have a phobia of driving. It really scares me to drive somewhere I have never been before or for that matter some places I have been before-and the bigger the city the more scared I get.

I promise, I am not a dummy, but directions and road signs and all this driving stuff just escapes me. What is wrong with me?

Comments (30)

• mariend
    14 years ago

Nothing is wrong with you. Some people have a talent of driving without geting lost at least once or more (me) some people don't (DH). We have a garmin GPS, which really does help, but then we both learned to drive in Los Angeles and that does help. I have more trouble in the smaller towns (Minot), because the they have both streets and avenues with the same # and have NW, SW SE etc. I spend more time looking, but then I call them unguided tours, not getting lost. Also, I look for landmarks, and heaven forbid if put a new building in, replace a tree, paint a building etc.

• Mystical Manns
    14 years ago

I don't like driving in unfamiliar places either. Now, tho, I go to Mapquest and "map it" before leaving, and it gives me street-by-street instructions. Takes away a ton of worry.

• Related Discussions

Uniblue DriverScanner - opinions? & bios update while I'm at it

Q

Comments (7)
    Thanks everyone. Mikie - I will try that link soon. I sort of agree that if everything's fine, don't go borrowing trouble. But my laptop isn't quite fine - and I don't know what's wrong with it. The past month it's been weird. When I unplug it (to move it to another room), it just shuts down. The battery was staying at 87% all day yesterday - while plugged in. Then it sometimes takes many, many minutes to boot up after it's suddenly shut down because it was unplugged. Sometimes I have to reboot a few times til it functions properly. I updated and ran Avast, superantispyware,malwarebyte and spywareblaster. All were fine - so I don't think I'm infected. I sometimes keep a lot of tabs open at once(I'm embarassed to say how many - but since it's relevant - perhaps 2-3 dozen). I'm comparison shopping and keeping open the tabs for whatever I'm currently researching or shopping for. I know this taxes the resources. When I shut the computer down, I run ccleaner to get all that stuff cleared up. Lately it's done something else weird. Sometimes when I click to open something up in a new tab (Firefox - which was like version 5 - but they recently sprung 9 on my which I never authorized - Windows XP). So I click open a new tab. And the tabs just keep scrolling across the top. As I try to click on a particular tab, the tabs keep scrolling to the left. This happens even if only a dozen tabs are open. And this doesn't happen every time but has become frequent. I have to let it scroll for 5-20 seconds before the tabs stay still - and I can click on one. I have no idea what's going on. At first I thought I had too many tabs open - and overtaxed my system. But since it's happened with closer to 10-12 tabs (and no other programs open), I'm not sure that's the problem. Is it Firefox? My laptop? driver? Thanks. Lynn. PS damccoy - they wouldn't let me print out the page. It kept disappearing - bc. of course they want me to spend money for their program to update - they don't want to hand me the list to do it on my own.
    ...See More

~I'm Not Fat. I'm Smart!

Q

Comments (6)
    Thank you Lori, I will remember this from now on, and I am thankful that you found a very good reason for my growing posterior teehee!
    ...See More

I'm a licensed driver!

Q

Comments (26)
    It surely gives you a lot more freedom, Nicole ... you'll need it, with the little ones. Can Claude get to work by transit, leaving the van at home during that time, or do you have to drive him and pick him up, on a day that you may want to use it? I've been surprised, over the years, at how many, mainly females, can't drive. My mechanic's wife Chris was a teen in a congregation where I ministered, 40 years ago. Her Mom, who lived on a farm several miles from the village and the city, had never learned to drive. A while after her Dad died, a few years ago, I said that I thought that I'd go visit her mother and get her out on the road to learn to drive. She warned me to not ... as her aunt had made a similar suggestion, to be told to mind her own business, if they were to remain friends. ole joyful P.S. I just stumbled over a rock ... that's so large that it's a wonder that it didn't hit me in the face ... ... remembering my recent dilemma over the need to re-confirm my driver's licence ... ... maybe I'd better consult with Chris' Mom ... ... as to how to manage to live in the country ... when one can't drive! Maybe, even at this late date, it might be possible for me to learn something! o j
    ...See More

I’m stumped, what do you think?

Q

Comments (50)
    I'm more inclined to think animal. It's very consistent with claws. Claws won't make the same depression and they're spaced quite evenly. Second possibility is someone wearing a toolbelt, a big purse or something could have fallen against it too. Or done it intentionally I suppose. Third is vandalism but I don't know when I've seen someone "key" a car vertically so many times. And eliminating keys doesn't stop "keying". There's still knives, bottle openers, purses. Don't see how a door ding could make marks like that. And a cart would be possible if it's loaded and coming down a hill or rammed intentionally, however a cripple cart would have to be rammed into it full bore to make marks like that. Every one I've used would back away before it'd make marks like that. Moot point since you'll never know unless someone admits, witnessed it or you get a video of it from security cameras.
    ...See More
  • maryanntx
    14 years ago

I think I'm a fairly smart driver when going forward. But lately, watch out if you are behind me. LOL We have lots of parking area at my house, but last time my middle son was home, he parked behind my car. I needed to leave and knew I had enough room to cut across a small part of the yard. So I slowly backed up and barely hit his bumper. He has a large ranch bumper on his truck. The next day he was behind me again. I knew he was there, but was talking to Jesse and totally forgot about his truck and stepped on the gas and wham! His bumper put a big V in the back of my car. Then a few days later I had to go to get my lab work done and the only parking space left had a large post behind the spot. I had a little talk with myself about not forgetting that pole was behind me. By the time I got ready to leave, I put it in reverse and wham. Right into the pole. I had whiplash! I did get lucky that it hit right on the V dent and smoothed it out. LOL
    I do drive in San Antonio quite often, as that's where my doctors are. I do get lost at times, especially when driving downtown. But I give myself plenty of time and have really enjoyed getting lost. I have seen some interesting places downtown that I wouldn't have seen if I hadn't got lost. San Antonio is a really cool city.

• zeetera
    14 years ago

I'm fine on the roads, but not finding places. I've backed up in so many people's driveways to turn around. GPS doesn't help much sometimes either.

I like your story though.

• linda_in_iowa
    14 years ago

I don't get lost very often. I have driven cross country a couple of times. Big city driving doesn't bother me because I learned to drive in CA.

• joyfulguy
    14 years ago

Hi Sue-with-a-curl,

Dad used to say that if he'd been down a road once, that you couldn't lose him on it.

I can't say that ... but I've been down a great many more roads than Dad ever saw!

Son's recently-acquired lady-friend has little road-sense and gets lost really easily. He has to make detailed maps for her, to pick him up in a strange city, etc.

They got a GPS a while ago ... and it looks as though someone stole it (or they lost it) as it hasn't been seen for some time.

Could it be that part of the battle is your telling yourself that you are completely stupid when it comes to finding your way? Building that image of yourself, including that aspect of your capabilities?

How about training yourself to learn various things about finding your way which will help you as you travel that route again? Or about finding your way when going down a new road.

Or asking someone good at it what methods they use to find their way.

Most problems get easier when one takes them apart to look at them a small piece at a time.

Don't tell yourself that you're stupid.

Don't tell yourself that you can never learn this or that system.

Your inner self doesn't discriminate - it just brings to pass the things that you tell it ... tell it that you're stupid, and it'll go about proving you right!

Right?

Know what? It'll succeed, too!

We go about bringing to pass the images that we build of ourselves ... (or have built for us, especially by those ones whom we love/respect).

So - don't belittle your kid (which doesn't mean to avoid evaluating, in non-judgemental discussion with her/him, his/her skills, strenghths and weaknesses fairly objectively).

Have a great week - what's left of it.

ole joyful

P.S. God don't make junk.

But humans sure can! Sell it for high prices, too, they do!

o j

• jannie
    14 years ago

I'm a fairly decent driver. My two fears are getting lost and having to parallel park.

• gadgets
    14 years ago

I can get lost in my own small town.......just briefly, but still easily become disoriented. My one DD has the same problem, while older DD and DS have excellent sense of direction. I really don't feel there's anything wrong with me, just don't have that 'talent' to get from here to there easily. I also have a horrible time in hospitals and hotels.....all the corridors look the same.

Shirley

• curlysue
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I am a landmark driver. I use landmarks, not road signs and #s. If I go somewhere with a map, I have to have directions on how to get back too. Pathetic I tell you.
    I will take your advice dear Joyful, I will eat this elephant one bite at a time.
    A couple of weeks ago I had to go to another county to take a test for work-I had know ideal how to get to the place I needed, but SO once again told me how to get there, so I went Sunday morning and drove until I found so that monday I could drive there worry free.

• chisue
    14 years ago

I have a very good sense of direction, but angled and curving streets can be confusing, especially on a dark day when you can't tell east from west. Because Chicago is laid out on a grid for the most part, it's easy to navigate. Finding an expressway entrance can be a challenge though.

DH can't find our car in a large parking lot, even when he parked it. He also doesn't 'scan' for parking spaces the way I do -- just goes straight ahead until he sees one, regardless how far it is from where we're going. He's less aware of cars behind or beside him when driving. (This is just *him*; always been this way.) He also drives much more slowly than I do. DS will do anything to avoid having to ride with his dad.

My mother taught me how to think about where I was going (and how I'd get back) when I was young. She'd take me into Marshall Field's downtown store -- two buildings covering a full block and I think nine floors. We'd walk in and she would tell me to find the toy department or shoes, or whatever. I'd be the guide to get us there. She also taught me to remember by which door we'd entered the store.

On car trips to other states, I learned to read a roadmap. I was 'navigator' from about age eight on.

I wonder if it's true that males have brains better suited to orientation. Can't prove it with DH and me.

• chisue
    14 years ago

I forgot to add that although DH is somewhat navigationally-challenged, he does know where things are in Chicago. He also has some aura about him that draws total strangers to approach him to ask directions. This doesn't just happen at home. We can be in England or on a cruise ship or anywhere. People come up to him everywhere and ask him for directions! It's too bad there aren't any more department store positions for 'Floorwalker'; he'd be *perfect*.

• curlysue
    Original Author
    14 years ago

That reminds me, I get lost in buildings also. Parking lots, I do okay only because I remind myself to pay attention to where I park, because if I don't I'm that person you see wondering aimlessly around in a parking lot. LOL

• neesie
    14 years ago

I love to travel and am not one bit intimidated about pulling out of an airport parking lot and headed to who-knows-where! Of course, I'm not going to be late for an appointment and nobody is expecting me but that's the fun. If I miss my exit I can be pretty sure to get off at the next exit and turn around.

When I was a teen my stepfather would be so tense if he passed his exit and had to turn around. Maybe it cost him ten cents more in gas, I don't know! But my husband was always so easy-going and offering a solution or a way to figure it out without me feeling dumb and over the years I got more confident. I am planning a trip now to San Jose del Cabo, an area that I've never, ever been to before. Although I won't have a car I am right now working out the logistics of taking a bus from my Inn to some attractions. DH can just lay back and enjoy the fun because I'm the one who's going to get all the details worked out. And if they don't work, we'll adapt! No need to raise blood pressure over something so insignificant.

• grammahony
    14 years ago

I drive a lot. Have driven to the southern most part of Texas 3 or 4 times, Las Vegas, Phoenix, North Dakota, Memphis. I had no fear when I was a lot younger, but now I have a GPS. I got that a couple of winters ago, when Mom and I went to Phoenix for 2 months. I got tired of going in circles. I got lost almost every time we left the house. But then the housing there is like a maze. I still love to drive. Mom's been mentioning going to Phoenix, or somewhere warm, again this winter.
    Leslie

• wildchild
    14 years ago

I love to take road trips. I like to take roads just to see where they go. Getting a little lost doesn't bother me.

It's strange but my sense of direction is more likely to fail me on familiar ground. Probably due to distractions.

Chisue it's been years since I drove in Chicago but the most annoying thing to me there was the inability to make a left turn or u turn if you missed your turn-off while driving on surface roads.

Most interesting and sometimes scary driving experience was in Sydney. Driving on the left side of the road, on the wrong side of the car with the controls reversed but not all of them and those freaking multi-laned round-abouts. LOL

• jannie
    14 years ago

I agree with CurlySue. I need lkandmarks. Don't tell me, drive three miles east, turn right, then left. Tell me you go up this road about six lights, when you get to the USBank, turn right, then the next left. It's a red brick building, three stories high.

• socks
    14 years ago

I really don't like driving new places either, and hate getting lost. I don't actually "get lost," but sometimes have a hard time finding places I haven't been to before. It makes me nervous to try to drive and be looking for addresses at the same time. I'd love to have a GPS.

Well...I have to go into the "big city" for jury duty end of this month. Yikes, I don't want to drive, so I'll take the train and do a little walking too and hope all goes well with that. I do not want to drive in the "big city" where everyone is driving fast because they know where they are going and I don't. This makes me feel so old.

• susanjf_gw
    14 years ago

linda i did, too...so ca driving lesson, and think i'm a better driver for it. know my one dd who learned in ca is the best of the 4 kids...and i was lucky to have had a defensive driving class when i worked for phone co. i still to this day, count to 3 after a light changes...

if i have an idea of direction, i can get home even from a strange location...but like everyone i do rely on mapquest, and wouldn't dream of leaving town without a trip-tik, or my handy road atlas...

the craziest place and yet once you "learn" the system is seattle...the cross street is almost always part of your address...for instance ours was 8419 150th...so we were close to the intersection of 84th and 150th...

• litereader
    14 years ago

I am lucky to have a good sense of direction and can usually find my way around anywhere. I love to take road trips and have traveled a lot.

But, my BIL can get lost in the driveway. When living in Colorado near the front range (which is an abrupt line of foothills) we all tried to give him the benefit of having a sense of direction, using the foothills (i.e.; if hills on the right, you're going south, on your left - north, behind you - east and in front of you - west). He could still get totally turned around! LOL

• stephanie_in_ga
    14 years ago

I like road trips, too. As long as I'm not on a time schedule, I don't mind being lost, either. When we had had just moved to a new place, sometimes getting lost is the only way to really figure out how to get around, make discoveries. It's an adventure. I always find my way and I don't get upset at all... unless, like I said, it's making me late.

But I don't plan to get lost. I do my homework: look up directions on more than one site, print out the best ones, and now that so many sites have the option to see an ariel view, I always look at that to get a "big picture" of the area.

DH used to call me from the road all the time, expecting me to open up a map online and give him step by step directions, AFTER he was lost and had no idea what direction he was going ("I'm between a Dairy Queen and a dentist's office"). But he has directions on his Blackberry now, and he does OK now. That thing drives me nuts! My mom uses a GPS, too, and I don't like hers either. I don't like being told where to go! LOL. I like my "look it up before you go" system. I don't like trusting that box to tell me one step at a time, I NEED a big picture in my head, I need to see it, plan, learn it. I like knowing if I'm turning east/west as well as right/left, to know the compass direction I'm heading in all the time. (My van tells me that if I get turned around.) But DH gets in the car with me (I usually drive- it's a control thing ;o) ), and turns that thing on and it doesn't always go the route I want to go. So it constantly says "rerouting." The kids think that's very funny. They say it even when DH and his "bossy GPS" aren't with us. It also suggests that I "make a legal U-turn," but the kids think it says "make illegal U-turn," and they tell me that, too. LOL

It also drives me nuts to be in a car with a DVD player going. If I'm in the back, it makes me carsick! New technology in cars just bugs me! I guess I'm passing a milestone in age where I just want things they way they used to be. Stick with what I know. ;o) I'm afraid the next time we need a new van it will come from the factory with gadgets I don't want. Now I'm on a tangent, sorry.

• OklaMoni
    14 years ago

I love driving or riding my bicycle in new places. But I prefer the smaller roads, life is more laid back, and you don't have to drive really fast.

I don't get lost! I just find new routes. LOL

We do have a GPS now, but it is wrong at times. Give me a map, and I can figure out where to go. That works for the overall scheme of driving. But yesterday going to my new allergy doctor, I drove around two buildings twice, before I called them and asked them where they are. She said, take the second drive.

Well, it was the third drive, and if she had just told me the entrance is on the east side, of the first building I could have found it faster.

Last week in Tulsa, was similar. Lady said, turn right at the Quick Trip. Well, doesn't that depend from which direction you come??? Just tell me, turn south at such and such a street (and know, what the street number or name is!!) and don't tell me, we are in a red brick two story building if the building isn't red! That woman needs someone to tell her, how to give directions. LOL

Moni... who likes to "explore" new routes. :)

• Jasdip
    14 years ago

I agree with Stepahnie. I like to look at the map before I go, to know in advance. I got an early Christmas present....my GPS and it drives me crazy with turn by turn directions. I want to see the big picture.
    I recently was on a 2 hour trip out in the country, and it said TR on Queen St., Left on Main street for example without saying the towns they were in. I'd like to know what towns to look for that I'm supposed to turn.

DH does most the driving, and he has no sense of direction either, but will never admit it. Ever. He says I have none, but mine isn't as bad as his, I'm sure. He/we always get lost in the parking lot. I don't pay attention because he's driving and parked. You think I would learn by now......

I can't go backwards. I don't remember if I should turn left or right, or what side that building was when I came in.

• marilyn_c
    14 years ago

I'm a very good driver...much better driver than I am a passenger. I have driven all over the United States, mostly alone. I practically live in my truck...unfortunately. I put about 35,000 miles on it every year, which is considerably less than how much I used to drive. If I am going on a very long trip, I look at a map in advance and may even make a couple of notes. I've gotten lost, but I've always managed to find my way home. When traveling with my husband, we usually take back roads when we can, if we have time...just to see where they go.

• curlysue
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh how I envy all of you people who drive without a care in the world. I don't know why getting lost scares me so bad, I mean so what, I get a little lost-my house didn't move and I can still get back to it one way or another. I think my biggest fear (this may be silly) is that I will end up on the bad side of some town somewhere and get my hubcaps, purse and life stolen. I don't know.
    My DD is back at school and she has a kidney stone-I think I will drive up all by myself and suprise her saturday-she needs a mom hug right now. I will be brave and I will do this. I think I can, I think I can, I think I can.

• deamn
    14 years ago

I am the same way CS, I can get lost when I go someplace where I have never been. But I did buy myself a Garmin GPS and it has helped...some!!! I say that because at times I think I am missing my turn and end up turning too soon. LOL!! But it has always managed to get me where I want to go and back...eventually!!! I too can get lost in buildings...and wonder where my car is...!!! Gosh, we should probably not take a trip together, huh???

My DH drives truck so he can drive anyplace, getting from point A to point B, without looking at a map. He seems to know how streets are laid out and what streets connect to what avenues and/or interstates. My DD, is exactly like him, and can even navigate better than her DH!!!!

I so wish I had been blessed with navigational skills. But I also feel that the more I do travel to unfamilar places and succeed, the more confident I will become.

• millburn_nj_po_mom
    14 years ago

LOL at Maryann

Sheryl

• curlysue
    Original Author
    14 years ago

You know what Deamn, we should go on amazing race together. Woudn't that be a hoot, foreign places with english maps and no sense of direction. We would be hilarious.

• jennmonkey
    14 years ago

I have no sense of direction either. My boyfriend always teases me, especially because we go camping in the woods alot, and I have no idea which way is which.

After I moved to Seattle, I learned to get comfortable with being lost for short amounts of time because the city is just too big to know every neighborhood. After living here for ten years, I still get lost sometimes.

• FlamingO in AR
    14 years ago

I'm a good driver and a good navigator, as long as the signs are there. I like to do my homework ahead of time though and use google maps a lot. I don't mind getting lost a little bit and I love to learn new ways to get to the same old places, but if I'm running late for something, being lost makes me so mad. I try to avoid being late at almost any cost.

MaryAnn, I believe you are probably suffering from a temporary case of "chemo-brain", sweetie. It won't last too long.

• Kathsgrdn
    14 years ago

I think I'm a good driver and even impressed Alex with my parallel parking skills the other night. (He wasn't so impressed in Germany, though, when I tried to park that big ole staion wagon thing I was driving in their tiny little spaces between two other cars.) He did learn that it's not so easy as it seems.

I get lost all the time, though. Even with directions. Ross, who came with us on our trip told me at one point that I lack confidence in my direction finding and that was my main problem. But, you know I always did better with only Lauren in the car with me, no teen boys with big mouths. In Landstuhl Alex thought it was hilarious to give me wrong naviagational directions so we kept getting lost. I finally wised up and ignored him.

I have a really bad sense of direction, but made it to everywhere we were going eventually.