Do you have your Federally Compliant Driver's License yet? LADIES!

arkansas girl

I just wanted to give you all a heads up about getting this new driver's license. I am in Ohio, so it could be somewhat different in other states but I would assume it is the same for everyone. I went to get this new DL and thought that I had all the many pieces of paperwork that I could possibly need. Well, I was wrong...they need to have your marriage licenses from any previous marriage unless you legally changed your name back to your maiden name. So now, I'm going to have to go through the hassle of getting that from the county where I was married and their website seems so antiquated. You have to print out a copy of the form, fill it out and mail it to them with the money to pay for the license copies. So give yourself some extra time to get these things and don't wait until the last minute. Their reasoning is that they have to have a chain of name changes so they know that you are the person on your birth certificate. We do have until next October though, as the deadline has been extended because of covid. My friend had hers done last year when it first started and did not have to have this...apparently, they have tightened things up some.

SaveComment71Like
Comments (71)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Elizabeth

I got my enhanced license years ago. It can also be used in place of a passport for land travel to Canada, Mexico and Bermuda.

Save    
sushipup1

I've got a passport, and I'll just use that. Why in the world can you get a passport without all the hassle, but not the new DL?

2 Likes Save    
bpath

When we renewed our passports, we got passport cards as well that we use to drive to Canada.

I've heard that you also need to bring a divorce decree, if you are divorced. But it seems that the states are not all consistent with what is required.

Save    
arkansas girl

You can bet that I was also bring my divorce decree with me when I have to go back!

1 Like Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

It can also be used in place of a passport for land travel to Canada, Mexico and Bermuda.

Not true. When we went to Canada last year, by land, we had our federal DLs and our passports and were told by the authorities that the fed DL was only for domestic travel, not international.

See the FAQs here: https://www.dhs.gov/real-id-frequently-asked-questions#:~:text=for%20international%20travel%3F-,No.,Mexico%20or%20other%20international%20travel.

1 Like Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

The initial application for a passport was a hassle that required documentation of all sort. I remember going to NYC with my Dad to get an original on his birth certificate so he could get a passport. It's the renewals that are easier.

Save    
Uptown Gal

Yes...several years ago.

Save    
maire_cate

I renewed my NJ driver's license last year and took the required documentation for the enhanced license. My new one has a little star on the front.

Save    
Elizabeth

I was referring to a Michigan EDL only. On the State of Michigan website it states:

"An enhanced driver’s license (EDL) in Michigan is a special type of driving credential that enables motorists to re-enter the U.S. border by land or sea when returning from Canada, Mexico, Bermuda or other Caribbean countries. Note that motorists who have a standard license or a commercial driver’s license (CDL) need to have a passport or other federal identity document in order to cross the U.S. border. With the enhanced document, drivers may travel by land or sea without a passport or other identification."

I have used mine to travel back and forth to Canada with no issues. There is a location where you don't even have to open your window. Just press the EDL against the glass and they use a hand-held scanner to read it and wave you in.

1 Like Save    
Uptown Gal

If it is the new "enhanced" don't all States have the star marking on the front?

Save    
Elizabeth

Mine does not have a star on it but it work just fine. I have had it for several years. Perhaps they started the gold star addition more recently and my next one will have it on.

Save    
Marilyn_Sue

No, never had a drivers license.

Sue

1 Like Save    
Rose Pekelnicky

Not yet and I'm not in a hurry, I don't travel. My son needs to get his. He is a repair technician for Verizon and needs it to enter federal buildings

Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

Elizabeth, thanks for the clarification. That is an important distinction vs. the Federal Real ID. I don't know if other states have such a thing or if it's unique to Michigan because of the frequent border crossings especially in the Detroit area.

1 Like Save    
Raye Smith

Yes, it was very easy. Just go online and select what documents you will bring. At the end you print out the list, put it with the documents and take that with you. At the license place just give them the docs and they do the rest. I got a compliment for having a pretty marriage license.

Save    
Kathsgrdn

No, thought about making an appointment to get one, already have an appointment locally for an old one. I read on the site that a passport will get you on a military base or let you fly stateside.

Save    
1929Spanish-GW

I’m in CA and we can fill out the application and upload the documentation online. Then go in and they check the hard copies against what you uploaded. It also gets you to the head of the line. Took me about 30 minutes when I got there. This was in the past month.

Save    
morz8

We both got our enhanced licenses a few years ago. No star on the front, it reads 'Enhanced' spelled out. At that time, our local license renewal place didn't process the enhanced and we had to go an hour away to apply for them, little bit of a hassle and there was a line, or rather a waiting room where we were given numbers, many rows of seating mostly full.

Save    
pudgeder

aaaaaand Oklahoma is STILL not compliant. UGH

2 Likes Save    
arkansas girl

I don't believe that Ohio has a place to fill out on line. I went to the Ohio site and saw that I needed my marriage license but what I didn't see was that I have to have them from any marriage. So, if someone was married 5 times, they would need all 5 past marriage licenses and certified copies of those. I think if I would have had a passport, all I would have needed to bring was my passport...I THINK! The first thing she asked me was "do you have a passport?"

My husband has the newer license but it isn't this newest form of DL that allows you to fly in an airplane. The chances of him needing to fly are slim but you never know, and then there is the deal with a federal building...that could happen. If he was called to jury duty, couldn't that be federal? This is all weird to me.

Save    
marilyn_c

I had to show my birth certificate.

Save    
arkansas girl

I guess if I still lived in Texas marilyn...UGH! Must be state per state.

Save    
hallngarden

We had to bring two proofs of address, our current license and a utility bill less than 90 days old, birth certificates, ask her to handle gently as they were 80 years old in 2018, plus for my name, our original marriage license. Proof of our SS number. Took statement from SS for this. Our local office was very strict. She refused the utility bill as it was mailed to our home from utilities billing service one town over. That made no sense to me, she then said the SS mailing to us would work. So happy we had all paperwork, they kept sending folks out of line needing more info.

Save    
marilyn_c

Arkansas girl, having had a license since age 16, I wasn't prepared to have to show anything, but fortunately the county office was near and I was born one county over, so for $10, I was able to get a copy, because I had already stood in line 3 hours. This was pre covid. My husband was born in Florida and had to send off for his. We lost our birth certificates, etc. In the flood.

Save    
arkansas girl

I was just talking to my neighbor, she's been marriage a bunch of times...her answer was "%&*# IT! I'll just use a regular DL". HA! She said she burned her old marriage licenses!

I found myself jealous of MEN because they don't have to have all that. Their names stay the same no matter how many times they've been married...HA!

1 Like Save    
Raye Smith

Arkansas girl, that's easily fixed - only get married once & for life

1 Like Save    
arkansas girl

It's kinda hard to go back in time. Edit to add that this also applies if you are a widow. You would have to have the marriage license from the first marriage if the husband died and you remarried. Also, Raye, NOT HELPFUL! I wouldn't wish a divorce on my worst enemy!

Save    
ccrunneroklahoma

Yes! My birthday is in September and my driver’s license was expiring. I had planned on getting the RealID/drivers license which was just rolled out this year. Because of COVID-19 the rollout was delayed and appointments were required. I went online one morning in early September and was surprised to get an appointment for that afternoon. The receptionist and the employee who did the data entry and photograph both told me that it was my lucky day because there was a cancellation and I was just lucky to get online and grab it. They were making appointments one week out and they were snapped up as soon as they were posted online.

1 Like Save    
Fun2BHere

I have a passport card for any domestic federal ID needs and a passport for any international ID needs, so I didn't bother getting an enhanced DL. At the time, I could renew my regular DL by mail and would have had to visit the DMV for an enhanced DL. What I don't understand is why the DMV won't just accept your passport for an enhanced DL rather than needing all those other documents.

Save    
maifleur03

I believe it was yesterday in the thread about unusual names people posted about using names other than their own. Which is fine but I did wonder how many people doing that would slip up on things like marriage licenses and or children's birth certificates.

Fun it may depend on the state if they accept the passport as proof or not. Probably ten years ago this state required all the information for a "real" id but did not issue an enhanced drivers license. Earlier this year it was time to renew so drug out all the documentation. The person saw my passport, asked if it was current, then said let me have it. They did not want to see the rest of the stuff.

2 Likes Save    
jewels_ks

Last year I thought I was bringing everything I needed, but i brought the wrong marriage certificate. I was able to go back and pay $8.00 more to get the star when I got the right certificate.

Save    
arkansas girl

maifleur, the lady at the BMV talked like if I had the passport, then I could get away without having that marriage license. I didn't get into it with her too much, because I do not have one..so it's a moot point.

Save    
1929Spanish-GW

I got married in my 40's and didn't change my name. It's so much easier!

3 Likes Save    
clt3

There’s a checklist for Ohio and the way I interpret it is if you have a passport with your married name you do not need your marriage certificate. I had to get a marriage certificate copy to apply for Medicare recently, so I sent for two anyway.

Save    
maifleur03

cit3 and others who have not lost a spouse hold on to that marriage certificate and your certified birth certificate. There may come a time that you may need it again.

1 Like Save    
ghostlyvision

I had to renew mine 3 1/2 years ago (near Houston, TX) they sent the renewal letter with the long list of all documents needed but didn't require appointments. I had jury duty over on the side of town of the closest DMV so after not getting selected for a jury we went to the DMV.

They gave me a number and told me to wait to be called, once called, I don't recall her looking at many if any of my documents - I do remember being perturbed I had to bring so much with me for seemingly no reason. lol

My new license has the little star near the top though so it must be the Real ID. Hub had his renewal in May of this year, he was eligible for doing this one online so did so and has a star on his license as well, without any documents necessary. Is Texas just really relaxed about it compared to most other states?

Save    
arkansas girl

ghostlyvision, it must be more relaxed or Ohio is just being ridiculous! I thought I had everything. Like my neighbor said "I burned my old marriage license". I didn't burn mine but I have no idea where it is, I looked all over. It's just a pain and also I feel it's a burden to government offices right now being swamped with people needing all these unnecessary documents. You know that they already know everything there is to know about you! This is just stupid!

1 Like Save    
ghostlyvision

arkansasgirl, I so get you, I was born and raised in Ohio (moved to Tx in '81) so I am familiar with their strict behavior when it comes to anything having to do with driving (Ohio is sooo anal), but yes, with everything being online, there shouldn't be this need for people to have to produce old documents. And if someone was going to try to fake them out, they'd have real-looking documents, so what's the point? They should be able to look anything up they need to verify who a person is.

I'm really sorry for the hassle you're going through.

Save    
SEA SEA

Well, I can't get a Real ID because one piece of my paper trail is missing from a name change my mother did on me as a child She changed my birth last name to her maiden name at some point. She is since deceased and no papers remain. I can get a passport as the rest of my paper trail is intact and renewed mine this year. I'll have to remember to keep it current as that is no fun to do either. US passport and regular DL will have to do.

Save    
maifleur03

Sea Sea do you have any relatives that were alive when your mother made the change? If you do talk to an attorney about what is needed to correct this. It may be as simple as an affidavit from the relatives swearing that you are the same person. Recently I recounted how my mother was supposed to be named Tom which was what her birth certificate stated. She was able to have the birth certificate corrected.

Save    
SEA SEA

No family. So I'm kind of out of luck. Funny how I can have a passport, but not a real ID. I've had three last names, married once. So birth name, changed name, then married name. I can't supply paperwork or a social security card with mother's maiden name change. I hope this will remain good enough as it's the best I can do. Bites fingernails...

Save    
kathyg_in_mi

My license was going to expire last March of 2020 and because we would be out of state at that time I went in in October of 2019 and was able to renew and get my EDL. Luckily I had all the correct paperwork and happy I did it before COVID! It has a star on it.

Save    
jane__ny

It was a major hassle when we moved from NY to Florida. When we wanted a Florida license we had provide birth certificates, name change, etc. Since we were both elderly, to try to get the marriage licenses from 48 yrs ago, name changes etc. It took us weeks to call various places, mail in checks and hope they still had records of our names, birth and marriage. Hubby was born in Boston, I was born in NYC. We got married in NYC. They don't accept church documents, etc. You have to call the registrars in various States, send checks and hope for the best.

It was a nightmare and took almost three months for us to get a Florida license.

Save    
nickel_kg

DH and I upgraded to "real ID" drivers licenses last year, I don't remember what all we needed to show. I have no idea of they have a star, enhanced, etc. Even pre-Covid, we don't cross borders very often so it's just as easy to dig out our passport or passport card.

Talking to our 30-something year old neighbor the other day, she said many women are choosing to keep their birth names. Marriages are taking place later in life and once you have your career established, a name change can cost you customers, standing, reputation you've built up. Plus all the little legal hassles, like the subject of this thread.

Save    
maifleur03

Some understood what I wrote about keeping the documents. Nickel brings up something that may be poorly understood. If you kept your name rather than used your spouses in the future to collect pensions/SS if they are still around you may need to provide a certified copy of your marriage license. I had to provide for both of those and a birth certificate for one but not the other to prove that I was entitled to the benefits.

Save    
OutsidePlaying

Not yet, but we have passports so we really don’t need it. There were huge lines for a while with people trying to get one, then everything was shut down, and now the deadline has been extended. We will eventually get one, but in no rush. Our state has a list of what we need to provide so it’s pretty straightforward.

Save    
SEA SEA

I'm bringing maifleur03 to the DMV with me next time. After she does a document check first. It gets intimidating quick.

1 Like Save    
maifleur03

SEA SEA it was intimidating the first job I had where I had to provide proof that I was who I said I was when I was about 19 but it got easier after that.

Save    
Olychick

I live close to Canada and am a frequent visitor (pre-covid). It's so easy to grab my passport, I cannot see any reason to get an enhanced license.

In our state, no legal name change is required to assume a new name...just like when someone starts using a married name with no legal name change requirement, the same thing applies when resuming your maiden name (or any other name you choose). As long as you are not trying or committing fraud, you can use/assume any name you want. However, some federal agencies require a legal name change under some circumstances.

Save    
laceyvail 6A, WV

Yes, and it was an enormous hassle with documents, especially the marriage one. I had the divorce document, but not the right marriage one. And because the system wouldn't accept an initial for my middle name (as it reads on my SS card and Medicare card), it uses a version of my name that I have never used in my life (I'm 75) and does not exist on any other document I have ever had. It was simply absurd.

Save    
clt3

Lol, when I requested the marriage license I actually had to send a check for $2, they couldn’t process a credit card or do it online. I also couldn’t remember what name my husband used! He’s never used his legal name - always a nickname for his middle name. His parents admitted they shouldn’t have named him that even though he was a jr.

Save    
KennsWoods

I agree with laceyvail, the whole thing is absurd, along with Fatherland (sic) Security, foisted on us by the Bush regime and a complicit Congress.

1 Like Save    
ci_lantro

I had to renew my DL just last month. Went online, printed the form, got an app't at the DMV and a list of the documents that I needed to get the REAL ID version. I do have a current passport so didn't need some of the other documentation like birth certificate, marriage license, etc. It ended up being not quite as much a bother as I initially thought it would be.

1 Like Save    
cooper8828

I had everything ready to go when everything got locked down. Motor vehicle is now partially reopened, but getting that ID is not on the list of approved reasons to go in person. Since the deadline got extended by a year I will hopefully get it done by then.

Save    
kathyg_in_mi

Luckily I keep all our important papers in our safe deposit box, so it was easy gather them when needed. DSIL went to get her EDL and needed her marriage license. She was divorced and had gotten rid of him and the license. She was not happy having to track one down.

Save    
arkansas girl

kathy, I really thought that I had mine too but I looked and looked and couldn't find it anywhere...that made me the maddest....HAHA! I'm a pack rat!

Save    
amylou321

I have had mine for several years. The only issue was the paperwork! They insisted that I bring a current household bill to verify my address. And I was living with SO in his house at the time, and therefore had no bill in my name save a phone bill that still went to my parents house. So I used that I just kept my parents address on my license for a few years until we moved into this house.

Save    
arkansas girl

amy, I thought these were really new? I didn't realize they'd been going on for several years?

Save    
amylou321

The gold star thing? I got it before it was mandatory. Alabama started the program,sort of as a pilot if you will, in 2011. I had it put on in 2012. I think it only recently became a mandatory thing....

Save    
KennsWoods

It was enacted around 9-11.

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

The Real ID Act was 2005. For many states or maybe nation-wide, the effective date of mandatory use has been postponed one or more times.

I don't have one. I'll use my passport when necessary.

Save    
KATHY

It didn’t seem a necessary expense since I already had a passport.

Save    
arkansas girl

Apparently, I've been living under a rock because I only first heard of it last year...HAHA!

Save    
jemdandy

I've got to start work on mine. Its due by the first part of December. During my working career, I've had 3 security clearances, but that won't do. I do have a passport and a certified copy of my birth certificate. (A photocopy of your birth certificate will not be accepted. It must carry the embossed seal mark by the county clerk. This is required to reduce fakes.) I should get a haircut. I haven't been in a barbershop since April 1st and I am 'hairy'. I need to decide if my driver's license photo will be taken with or without glasses. I am qualified to drive without glasses since having cataract operation on both eyes, but I do wear glasses for driving. My focal length is fixed and glasses helps to read the instrument panel. Also, I like the extra eye protection. I'll do the photo with glasses because I wear those all the time.

I can't do a walk-in as in the past. An appointment is required this time. Rats! I hope I don't need to supply the photo as well. I should check on this - Things have changed.

Save    
seagrass_gw

We renewed our passports and paid a few extra dollars for passport cards, so we're good to go for another 10 years. If we're ever able to fly again post Covid. We know where our birth and marriage certificates are. What ever happened to the land of the free and the home of the brave??

Save    
Raye Smith

Seagrass - there are very few international flights but I flew this summer domestically with no issues. There were plenty of flights to select from. The wearing a mask the whole time was a pain but worth it to get to see friends and have a vacation.

Save    
raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio

In Ohio, a valid passport is acceptable instead of a birth certificate plus documentation of name changes That is because you would have had to provide the documentation to get the passport. I believe this is the federal requirement, so should be true for all states.

You still need to bring proof of SS#, and 2 proofs of current address. The Ohio BMV website has it all spelled out, with a checklist to use.

Save    
raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio

Seagrass, hijackings and even worse, 9/11 happened.

Save    
arkansas girl

It just seems like such overkill and it isn't the same in all states because I've talked to others that live in other states and they didn't have to have all that. I also realized that on my current marriage license, it has proof of what my maiden name is so...that makes me even more annoyed! But, I have gotten all that I need to get the old marriage license (also nice of them to stir up unpleasant/sad memories) I just need to mail it to them tomorrow. I should be legal in no time flat! HA!

Save    
maifleur03

arkansas girl I would like to point out a small thing that while it did not apply to you could apply to others. Most marriage licenses ask for the name that you are using. If you have been married before and still use that name it would be what is put on the marriage license.

Save    
arkansas girl

I just found out that my friend that is in Texas got hers and she did NOT have to have her marriage license at all and only needed to have her birth certificate and SS card. She knew that for sure because they lost their marriage license somewhere and she knows that she does not have it! Her DL has the gold star on it.

EDIT: I just went to the Texas site for requirements and according to that, you need even more documents than we need in Ohio. I guess some customers service agents are more lenient. Allowing people to slide without everything they need?

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Home Tech The Inevitable Future of Drones Around Your Home
As Google joins the push for airborne deliveries, it seems only a matter of time before neighborhoods are buzzing with drones. Is that OK?
Full Story
Pets How to Help Your Dog Be a Good Neighbor
Good fences certainly help, but be sure to introduce your pup to the neighbors and check in from time to time
Full Story
Outdoor Projects Bring In the Birds With a Homemade Bubble Rock
An avian expert from Southern Indiana shows how to make a burbling fountain that migrating birds will love
Full Story
Inspiration for some backyard chats
Inspiration for a warm welcome
Inspiration for dinner time under the stars
Inspiration for a little quality time
Inspiration for making that best pizza ever
Step into a Ferguson Showroom and you'll be surrounded by the latest styles in kitchen, bath and lighting design... Read More