SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosemaryt_gw

Getting Elderly Drivers Off The Road...

rosemaryt
15 years ago

In another post about AARP, NancyLouise mentioned getting elderly drivers off the road. My father (now 90) just had his license suspended by the DMV (local licensing agency) and it took our family 13 months to make this happen.

Turns out, there are loop holes in the system and the only reason we finally got him off the road was a combination of dogged persistence, his numerous accidents, a devoted DMV employee, a caring doctor and angelic helpers along the way.

My father's Caddy started appearing with broken lenses, bashed in side panels, dented fenders and more. When asked, he'd say, "I'm not sure how that happened..." Then he ran over the neighbors dog (never saw that dog), got pulled over FOUR times in one year but not ticketed. Seems the old man would clutch his chest and say, "Officer, I have heart problems and I need to get home and get my nitroglycerine tablets..." The officers always let him go.

Four times he was pulled for running a stop sign and four times he was released. My father feels that stop signs violate his constitution rights, so he ignores them.

The family turned him IN to the DMV and they (in response to our letter) requested that my father obtain a physician's certificate. My father went to a "Good Old Boy" buddy - a fellow Mason (twitch, twitch) and the "OLD FRIEND" signed the certificate without a physical examination.

The DMV then did a road test but since he's such a "charming old man" they made the test short and easy.

Next month, he plowed into someone in a local tunnel and then sideswiped someone else.

"Dad," I asked, "Did you get a ticket?"

"I don't remember," he said.

These have all been minor accidents and incidents but the fact is, he suffers from physical disabilities (bad legs) and mental disabilities (age, memory, etc) and is under DOCTOR'S ORDERS not to drive. He's on LOTS of prescription medication.

And yet he continued to drive.

Then one day, a neighbor told me that she'd seen him have THREE accidents backing out of his own driveway. Ditch, telephone pole and ditch. So then *I* hauled him to his GP and said, "Please help us get this man's driver's license suspended."

My father insisted that his children were "exaggerating and mistating the facts."

The doctor asked, "Have you had any accidents recently?" To which my father replied, "Not one in 30 years."

Unbelievable.

At my URGING, the doctor agreed to order a driving test (on a simulator) for my father. My father thought this would "settle the matter once and for all."

Only a few minutes into the test, he killed a virtual pedestrian. Next, he went the wrong day down a street and then straddled the yellow line. Next, he did 10 mph and the 55 mph road. It was a super simple test. Can't believe *anyone* would fail that test, but he did.

As soon as DMV received the results, his license was immediately revoked. Dad didn't care. Not only did he refuse to surrender his keys, he HID them. He knew I was going to disable those cars and he had his keys hidden WELL.

Then one day I found that he'd left one of the car's back doors unlocked, so I got into the car and lifted the hood and disabled the engine. I then put a note under the hood that said, "This car has been disabled on purpose. Driver's license has been suspended. Do not restore to working condition."

This effort - dragging him around and getting this test and getting him OFF the road took two weeks of my life. I did it for the community. The DMV told me, "We have some legislative loop holes we're trying to close up. It's way too hard to get elderly drivers off the road."

No kidding.

By the way, my father's already looking for a mechanic to repair his vehicles. I already visited his regular mechanics and told them that he is OFF the road and that they should NOT repair his vehicles.

I drive a lot more cautiously these days, knowing that someone like my father is out there, sharing the road, driving a 4400 pound Cadillac.

Rose

Comments (37)