SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

When there's an elderly dangerous driver in the family

alisande
13 years ago

I'm pretty sure we've discussed this topic before, but I wasn't paying attention because I hadn't had the experience. I was fortunate that I never had to tell my car-loving dad that he could no longer drive. But now a close friend is facing this situation--or not facing it.

Her mom is 95, or close to it. Her driving has gotten bad, and her daughters can't bring themselves to tell her she can't drive anymore. I don't blame them for not wanting to do it, but this woman should not be on the road for her own sake and for the sake of all the people she could involve in an accident.

My friend will get in the car with her mother, thinking if she keeps a close eye on the driving they'll be all right. I must have a stronger sense of self-preservation, because it's not something I would ever do. I also think it's useless, as driving decisions can be made in split seconds, even when the driver's reaction time is slowed.

I read an article from the Washington Post in which the writer tells how she alerted her dad's doctor to the situation, asking him to order a driving evaluation. This sounds like a good idea--assuming my friend's mother visits a doctor. (She's one of those incredibly strong women who are never sick.)

Any other ideas? How have you dealt with this?

Comments (21)