SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joyfulguy

Driver ... or non-driver ...relating to a road "accident"

joyfulguy
5 years ago

Our national radio has a province-wide(1) phone-in program weekdays at noon and the topic the other day related to England's Prince Phillip, 97, accident a week or so ago where the Land Rover that he was driving turned over but he was uninjured, but the people in the other car sustained some injuries. The discussion largely centred around would you rather be the driver, or a passenger, and there was discussion about relations between the two parties to an accident.

I didn't phone in, but thought of a somewhat related experience that I had, over 30 years ago.

Dad had a large farm near here but had some breathing problems and moved to farm on the prairies just after World War II. He liked to come down here to visit friends and relatives in recent years.

After attending a niece's wedding in 1986, I drove down with him on his annual pilgrimage, and was satisfied with his driving when it was his turn on that three-day trip, about 2,000 miles.

The next year, a few days after his arrival, he'd visited friends and was to visit other relatives just after. He was to make a left turn on a four-lane highway, pulled up to the road, stopped, then pulled out ... in front of a truck!

That was the end of Dad!

The truck was from an auto-transport company based near here, and the next day I visited their office. They said that the driver was home that day, distressed over the accident. I asked whether I could talk to him and the worker phoned him. I told him that I was the son of the driver of the car, and I was sure that my brother and sister in Saskatchewan would join me in expressing to him our sorrow that he was undergoing the pain that resulted from the accident.

We didn't talk long, but two or three times during the conversation he thanked me for calling.

It's important that we consider the experiences of others, especially, perhaps, in trying circumstances.

ole joyful

1. As for the "province-wide radio call-in', Ontario stretches from a ways west of Duluth to east of Syracuse, N.Y. (maybe even as far as Albany).

o j

Comments (10)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH