SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kathsgrdn

We're baaaaack! (long with pics)

15 years ago

We left yesterday afternoon for our camping trip. We stayed right by Lake Barkley in Western KY, Land Between the Lakes. It was pretty but hot and muggy. Lot of bugs. No sleep last night because of the boats, bugs and "scary" noises -lol! There was a big boat with a huge light that we first thought was someone's car headlights shining on our tent, on and off. Finally we got up and stepped out of the tent and it looked like a lighthouse out on the water but it was on a boat. Lot of jokes from the kids about UFOs-and other creatures-LOL! The air mattress had to be reblown up halfway through the night too. My poor back!

We also got woke up by a little rain shower, which was nice and cooled us down for a little while. It stormed here at home, damaged a lot of trees, a horse pavilian, and a bunch of flag poles that were in a "field of honor" for vets killed in Iraq.

Anyway, we didn't get much sleep. Got up & made breakfast and started fishing. Alex almost caught a small bluegill but it got away. Lauren's crappy fishing pole was a mess, the reel kept flying off the pole and I wish I had brought some duct tape. We got a few bites but didn't catch a thing.

We went to the buffalo and elk enclosure, only we picked a really bad time because we saw not one creature. Nothing. We did get a lot of pictures of the empty fields and "DO NOT APPROACH THE DANGEROUS BUFFALO!" signs, which Alex found hilarious especially since the whole thing is enclosed by a fence and 2 big electric gates that looks like a mini Jurassic Park entrance.

We came back and tried to fish some more and were getting pretty hot and miserable. We started to play cards in the tent but decided to blow up the mattress again because the ground was really hard where the tent was. After it was blown up we looked around and the kids were getting freaked out by all the daddy long leg spiders on the outside of the tent, a few other type of smaller spiders were in the tent. As I sat on the mattress my butt hit the bottom of the tent and my legs went up in the air, very uncomfortable and I couldn't breathe. I made the mistake of telling the kids that and moved off onto my sleeping bag. They have been making fun of me ever since, saying "oh, my butt's touching the floor and I can't breathe!"...(I guess you had to be there)...As they were laughing at me in the tent I asked if they were as miserable as I was and would they prefer to either go sleep in a motel or stay there. They both wanted to leave. But, Alex said we should just go home. So, that's what we did.

We're planning on going fishing probably tomorrow afternoon or early the next morning to use up the rest of the nightcrawlers. Just a day trip to a nearby lake. Well, it's about 40 minutes away.

The lake and our campfire last night:

One of the buffalo signs:

Elk and buffalo field:

I'll post some more pictures tomorrow.

Comments (4)