SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jennavanowsc

update to my 'old fashioned' post

JennaVaNowSC
13 years ago

Well, DD and the boys came back last night. Around 7, she acted like nothing had happened. I helped the boys with their bath and put on their new pajamas and read them a story, I had picked up books for them from the library. Today, I fixed them fruit smoothies for breakfast and took them outside to play early, we stayed out there for a couple of hours to let them play. I had a little talk with the boys about being gentle with the dogs. Then she took them to see her father-in-law, came back and we went to run some errands, and to ChickfilA so the boys could play at the play area. And she let them eat some french fries. She did make a point of asking them not to run in the house and corrected them when they got too loud. Tomorrow she and I both are attending a baby shower, and I told her to ask her motherinlaw to babysit, I did not want my husband to have to deal with them, the 2 year old is having some clinging issues. And tonight, she actually got their baths early, put pajamas on them (!) and took them to bed around 9:30, instead of sitting with them in the recliner until they fall asleep.

I know they are young, and I do understand there will be slip ups, I can handle food inadvertently carried into the family room, since that is what they are used to, at home.

I can ask them nicely, to walk walk walk, when they get excited and run. I told them about "inside voices" vs "outside voices" and we had a little demonstration. cute!

She has not been disrespectful today, so maybe I was on the right track to calmly tell her our 'rules' and acknowledge that the way she parents is not the way I parented, and to each his own, but that WE expect and appreciate that our concerns for safety and structure be adhered to in OUR home.

All in all, I have decided to not get so stressed over it, and try and redirect the excess energy of the children. My husband does not need any additional stress right now, and me getting upset gets him upset. As far as doing her laundry, she did leave clothes in the washer and dryer again today. I dried what was there, and left the unwashed stuff where she left it. I asked her to clean up behind them at breakfast and lunch. Also, we picked out a few things for vegan recipes at the store, and I got her to agree to sitting down at the table for dinner tomorrow night, all of us, to have a meal together.

So baby steps, we will get there.

Thank you all again, for your help.

Jenna

Comments (7)