SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kai615

Anyone with an old fashioned "unfit" kitchen?

kai615
11 years ago

Hello,

I am very new here. I will introduce myself properly in another post, which I guess means I will post pics of my house as soon as I can gather some sold pics as well as some works in progress.

What I am interested in is seeing if anyone has a more "untraditional" kitchen in their older homes. While I see that a lot of people on here own beautiful 20's style homes with 10' ceilings, my home is quite opposite and built back in the day when people were just shorter and built more practically. We are unsure of the actual date of our house, but back in the 90's my in-laws had it dated and they estimated the original 2 story log structure (really one room downstairs and 1 room upstairs) was about 275 years old, which puts it at early 1700's , and the addition of what we use as the family room downstairs and a bedroom upstairs they estimated was done in early 1800's.

Because of this, I get the spacious use of 6'11" ceilings in my kitchen and bedrooms and a bit shorter upstairs in a few spots where the timber is thicker than in other spots. So - upper cabinets are absolutely out of the question.

I already have the only layout possible in mind, hubby and I have been working on this for about 2 years now. But, I wouldn't mind a little inspiration from anyone else. There is so very little to be found on line. To be honest my hands are a little tied, we have two doors to the outside in the kitchen, two passage ways, so each wall has obstructions. Water can only come into one wall and can not be run anywhere else and the entire kitchen is only 12x15 which isn't bad until you consider the ceiling is under 7ft.

It is actually the little things I am not sure how to finish. I know I need to waterproof the wall behind the sink, but not sure what I want to put there. I will have some sort of cabinet with feet to hold the sink, but really don't want to wainscot the whole wall. There will be wainscoting in the kitchen in the back of some open shelving and it already lines the pantry closet we just finished building.

Would love to see pics of anyone who has done anything similar.

Thanks,

Kalindi

Comments (24)