SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
luckygardnr

DH did a baaadddd thing!

luckygardnr
15 years ago

On May 17, our long weekend, we were cleaning up in the garden, taking out 3 raised beds, preparing for a new project. Deej was over by the house cleaning up an old shrub that was interfering with the gas meter. Well there was one root/branch that would not pull out so he got out the loppers, and you guessed it............cut the gas line. Now, he hadn't been digging yet, so it was above ground.

Our houseguest is a volunteer fireman, and he had me call 911, then he called in and said he was 'on sight'. So then we had 3, countem, 3 fire engines at our house. They called the gas company, and stayed around with the hoses ready till they arrived. The gas company tech took 45 minutes to get here, was here for 1 hour, replaced a very old pipe, saying they don't even use that kind anymore. The pipe and fitting cost $22. Not bad, eh?

Then yesterday we got the bill from the gas company.............$1330.02! Holy ****! Oh geez! We don't have that kind of money! They are charging us for 6 hours labor, 1 hour to relight (which took the guy 30 seconds), paperwork, the use of their truck and equipment, etc, etc, etc!

They won't even talk about it with us, so I called our homeowners insurance today, and they think they can probably help us out a little bit, maybe $500 worth. Better than nothing, I guess.

Wo is me!

Laurel

I'm just glad it wasn't me that did it. I'd never hear the end of it, would I?

Comments (10)