SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lydia1959

Said goodbye to Kobi (pic) long and depressing

lydia1959
13 years ago

To update anyone who didn't read my post from last week:

My dog, Kobi has lost 10 lbs. in the past couple months.. down to 30 lbs. from 40. The vet has run blood tests.. all looks okay except for a high WBC (and something else that I can't remember). He took X-rays yesterday and can see air in the large intestine (Kobi has been very gassy lately) and some thickening of the small intestines possibly. Kobi is not eating much, today he is ignoring the chicken breast I made for him. He is drinking a lot, occasional watery vomit, some diarrhea. Depressed and not his usual self. The vet doesn't know what is wrong, but he is not ruling out cancer.

The next step is possibly a endoscopy. That will cost close to $1000. with no guarantee that we will know more than we do now. If it is cancer we'll have to decide if we want to do chemo. Kobi is 10. We certainly want to prolong his life if we can do so without causing him distress and without spending a fortune.

Some of you had suggested a ultrasound which would be a lot cheaper than the endoscopy and the vet thought that might be a good idea. My vet doesn't have an ultrasound machine, but I found a mobile vet that just happened to have a opening last Friday so I made an appointment. Friday morning Kobi was lying in the yard and then he took off somewhere. I searched the neighborhood but couldn't find him. He wasn't in very good condition so I know he couldn't have went far. Hours passed and I had to cancel the appointment for the ultrasound. Kobi had been gone for 6 hours when I spotted him lying in the back yard. He was dirty and had probably been in the lake. I had checked the back yard several times and he wasn't there earlier. His last big adventure I guess.

Saturday he continued to do poorly with moments where we thought he might be showing improvement. He was drinking... but hadn't ate anything (not even roast chicken) for 2 days now. Yesterday he just didn't look right and I knew it was time. He was having little episodes where he whimpered and I knew he was in pain. When DH got home from a work event we took Kobi to a neighboring town's vet clinic to have Kobi put down. I had hoped our regular vet could come to the house and euthanize Kobi here.. but they are closed on Sunday. It was a very peaceful passing, but DH and I both cried like babies. Kobi has been put in our little backyard pet graveyard.

Something else happened yesterday that let me know it was time. Winston (our 3 year old cat) jumped on the fireplace mantel in the morning sliding on the scarf that is there and bringing down half of what was up there - a 8X10 picture, my glass fragrance lamp, the mirror it sets on and a figurine of a angel surrounded by animals. The only thing that broke was the figurine. It fell 4 feet to a brick hearth and should have shattered into a million pieces, but instead it was fine except that the angel wings broke off in 1 perfect piece.

RIP Kobi

12/17/99 - 6/13/10

Comments (37)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus