SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laurajane02

Basement kitchen ~ symmetry vs function opinions?

laurajane02
10 years ago

Hi there,

We're installing a small secondary kitchen in our basement. This kitchen will mainly service the movie theatre (snacks, drinks), our overnight guests (morning coffee), and be there for hosting kid parties in the playroom. We're including a full 30" fridge to handle overflow from our main fridge, and so that we have an ice source downstairs.

Anyway, the cabinetry will be custom inset, so it can be built any way I want it. The wall in the middle of the cabinet run will not move. There is no wall on the far R hand side of the kitchen.

Here are 2 layouts. As you can see, one layout is more symmetrical but has smaller drawers (wider sink cabinet). The other option has wider drawers but is not symmetrical. I'm looking for opinions on these options. Does anyone see a way to rework this?

Symmetry: 18" drawer bank

More functional: 24" drawer bank

If you're still reading, I had initially chosen a 24" tall F&P dish drawer. It worked perfectly. I just can't get over the bad reviews. I want something user friendly, so I switched to an 18" full DW. It will be panelled.

Thanks for helping!

Comments (3)