SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bossanova2

Functional kitchen - or not! Opinions please!

bossanova2
12 years ago

This is a mock up of a designer's kitchen that was provided to a friend who is very pressed for completion time on a major reno. She is uncomfortable with the design, but will likely accept it due to time constraints. I have concerns over the functionality of the kitchen for a family with three small children and feel the cupboard space is inadequate. My sketchbook will often have 20-30 iterations of layouts for kitchens, closets, layouts, etc, so clearly I like to fuss over designs and tweak them until I've explored all the options - accepting draft #1 is definitely not in my nature!

Personally, I would wrap the counters around and place the sink under the window (which hasn't been installed yet and can be moved closer to the wall), or possibly go with a U shaped design. However, I have seen numerous configurations with a single stretch along one wall and a single island - my question is:

Does anyone have this linear, contemporary take on the old galley kitchen style, and if so, are you happy with it? All the examples I have seen are much larger, with 48" ranges. I want her to be happy and feel that rushing the design in order to be in the house for Aug 31st may result in an unfriendly design and awkward inadequate cupboard placement.

{{!gwi}}

Thanks in advance for your expertise - I'm going to try to stall her a few days at least!

Comments (18)