SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cathyincali

Kitchen Layout help

15 years ago

We're at the beginning stages of our remodel design and I am hoping to get some feedback on what we have so far. I've included a link of the currently proposed layout.

I'll take a go at describing our situation.

The Kitchen walls will be 8 feet high, with a higher ceiling in the middle, centered 10 feet from the Exterior wall where sink is positioned in proposed layout. The plumbing and gas are moving. The window can be repositioned anywhere. If the large sink stays on the exterior wall, the window will likely go above the sink. However, the sink need not necessarily have a window above it.

The doorway from the garage will enter the house into the front hall, which will mean a U-turn into the kitchen, (which we can live with)....Or we can place a door from garage to Kitchen on the Wall where the cooktop and refrigerator are currently positioned.

We'd like to keep the walkway from kitchen into front hall, Study doorway also opens on this hall across from kitchen opening.

The Pantry structure has not been built yet.

In this kitchen, I'd really like lots of storage, lots of countertop/work surfaces, a kitchen table, and a baking center.

We are a family of four, who all either cook or bake. We often have 3 people in the kitchen, two cooking while the third person bakes.

The kids (teens) often have school projects going, so sometimes their books are sprawled on the dining room table and we end up eating at the kitchen table. So, I was hoping to fit a 48 inch round or oval table in this kitchen as well. From what I've learned in this forum it does not seem that we have the space for both a kitchen table and seating at an island.

Regarding appliances:

36 inch Cooktop

42 inch Vent hood

Double Wall Ovens

Warming drawer

Microwave (either shelf or built in, but not a really large one)

48 inch wide Refrigerator- 25 3/4" deep

Two Dishwashers- Standard size

Beverage fridge under counter, or wine fridg (don't know if there's room for both)

Other ideas:

21 inch Wide Prep sink in the island

a cleaning closet or cab for broom, vacuum, cleaning liquids/powders (how wide min?)

Pantry for storing items from Costco runs (paper towels, bubbly water etc)

Bookcase(s) for lots of cookbooks

Storage for small appliances (ice cream maker, rice cooker, juicer etc.), many many baking pans, stone, cookie sheets

Water filter under sink

Pull out Trash and Recycle bins

skylight(s) above center of kitchen

Thanks so much for any suggestions! Overall I'm hoping for a kitchen that will support multiple activities happening simultaneously. I am trying to keep form in mind since I typically go for function over form.

Thanks again.

Comments (15)