SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laughablemoments

Layout help--considering filling in openings and removing walls

laughablemoments
9 years ago

Hi (again). Yes, it's me, the one that has a hard time making up her mind. We are still fiddling around with our floor plan, and need to make a final decision *soon*. We need to get the outside wall of our kitchen wired and insulated before winter hits.

We are tossing around the idea of closing off the doorway between our entryway and kitchen. It will mean carrying groceries a tiny bit farther (grocery shopping happens once a week.) It will mean I can't see the front door from the kitchen. But, it would give us more options for the kitchen itself. And, it would allow us to add a closet across the back side of our entryway, which would be a boon to our large family.

Also, we are now considering opening up the wall between the kitchen and dining area. I thought we wanted it more separated, but the alluring light and views from the dining room are getting the best of me! See?

DH has agreed to move the heat duct if necessary in order to get a wider opening.

Here is our first floor layout (I cannot get Photobucket to reorient it no matter how many times I click on "rotate image.")

Here are some plans that we're considering. DH loves the idea of sinking our 36" x 36" fridge into the odd space at the one end of the kitchen. So, I'll show that idea first:

I like parts of this one. I like how the island runs parallel with the stove, which seems most useful to me. I'm not sure about the tight spacing around the stove. Is it weird to have the fridge opposite the middle of the island? I also am a little disappointed that the pantry blocks the view of the slider when working at the island. The upswing is that gives us a patch of wall to put some furniture (place for piano?) in the dining room.

Next up: A 6' long shallow pantry plan:

And a walk-in pantry plan:

Both of these put the fridge closer to the dining table, but farther from the work zone. (And no sunken fridge, sorry Honey.)

The deeper pantry means that we lose some of our walk-in closet for the entry, and that we lose a couple of feet from the entry to make a closet across the end of it. It currently looks like this:

We also have a peninsula plan, but we aren't sure how useful the peninsula would be for actual prepping. DH isn't crazy about the fridge looming out in space in this one.

FWIW, yellow uppers are ones we already one. Blue lowers are ones we own, too. Orange cabinets and shelves are ones we'd need to make or buy to fill things out.

What's your take on all of this jumble?

Comments (21)