SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bong477

Layout help, removing ext wall + reclaiming a closed off window?

DrB477
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I posted before and got some very useful help in planning our kitchen/mudroom addition which resulted in deciding to remove the existing exterior brick wall completely and reworking the layout with less constraints.

Original post: http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/3859940/kitchen-mudroom-addition-layout

The other day, I realized the prior owners had closed off one of the original windows in a kitchen remodel ~30 years ago to get additional upper cabinet space and put a "faux" window in its place. The positioning of the window is such that it excludes standard depth cabinets on the adjacent wall. I'm thinking I no longer need those cabinets and could reopen the window so they flank my exposed brick and range. I was already planning to replace the existing window with something the same size so I could match them easily.

Just to briefly orient, anything below the dotted red line is new construction. It will be two stories, the space above is a large master closet. This isn't the home's formal main entry where guests would enter, but is for practical intent the main entry for our family of 5 (kids are 2,4,5 with no intent on more).

The intent of the pantry area is to have the door hidden in a wall of cabinets, there would be the coffee/speed oven stack then two 15" (12"?) deep full height cabinets with a door that looks like cabinets between. The interior would be pantry. Due to framing the walls, the shelves would be a little shorter than the 3' drawn. The rest of framing was figured into the width of the coat closet and shelf dimensions as drawn.

The existing structural beam will probably have to be replaced to tie in with the new steel beam that taking out the exterior wall will require. There may need to be a post still as drawn, it might be able to disappear though, which would give me an extra 12" cabinet on that wall next to freezer.

Specific concerns:

1) Lack of prep space between sink and range (will use the island for prep I assume). WIth the sink centered under the existing window, there is the 10" x 24" baking sheet pullout space and the 6"x12" spice pullout for 16" total.

2) Dishwashers adjacent rather than flanking sink

3) where to put the new window (drawn over laundry sink currently) and how to orient laundry sink relative to that

4) Placement of island (center in room, slightly off center for more fridge clearance, centered on range)

5) Can I get away with just the uppers between the two windows with sinks

6) Is my W/I pantry deep enough or should I scratch the idea of a hidden pantry door?

Approximate floor plan and existing kitchen layout.

Hidden pantry inspiration pic

Thank you in advance!

Comments (32)