SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pennpeggy

Need layout help - where to place new window?

pennpeggy
9 years ago

Hi, I have been a somewhat silent and infrequent follower of several GW forums for many years, and have found lots of great answers. I'm hoping the collective knowledge/wisdom on this forum might help me in my current project.

The situation:

We have just started a master bath renovation - removed 2.5 tons of old tile/wallboard (who knew a bathroom weighed that much!), and framed in the new walls, as well as lowered the floor for the curbless shower.

Many of the decisions have been made - in addition to the shower, we are going with a Victoria and Albert tub - the IOS, reusing our old reliable toilet (when you get a good 1.5 gal flush toilet, you don't get rid of it!), as well as all of the tile decisions and most of the lighting decisions.

What is perplexing me now is where to place the window! In the old bathroom, it was a 48 X 48 double casement over the tub that matched a similar window in the dining room on the other side of the front door (this bath is in the front of the house - north side). I purchased a 30 W X 48 H single casement to replace it, thinking that I would put it in between the two sinks on that wall. After playing with layouts, I'm not sure that's a good idea. (The window size was selected to match other windows on the front of the house.)

Here's a photo of the wall:

{{gwi:1462048}}

Some of the constraints are:

1. The toilet and shower positions are fixed, as well as the two door locations (to closet, and to bedroom)

2. The tub will be a freestanding tub, and needs to stay on the wall between the window wall and the shower. The tub's location can slide up or down that wall as needed, but it should make some design sense, since that will be a focal point wall, with vertical accent tile.

3. The window size is pretty much fixed, based on the need to balance the front of the house. It can move left or right on that wall, though it would be easiest to not have to change the rough opening on the right side (looking out). (that would make it 10 inches from the stud on the tub wall.)

Here is the floor plan after the demo:

{{gwi:1462050}}

And here is my thought about the design.

{{gwi:1462053}}

I'm worried about moving the sink too far to the right, where it will be in the way of the tub, so I thought I might have a window seat/pull out hamper at that location. At this point, I am going with a 36 inch high vanity, with a granite top, and Kohler Caxton 19 inch undermount sinks.

I'm not married to my design, so please give any/all options! I need to finalize it in the next few days, so that I can give rough in instructions to the plumber and electrician.

Thanks!

This post was edited by pennpeggy on Fri, Jul 11, 14 at 22:27

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations