SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alron60

Load bearing walls corner removal for kitchen open concept

alron60
9 years ago

We're planning kitchen remodeling. I'm looking for structural advise about walls removal for making open concept kitchen.

The attached floorplan shows the walls to be removed (hatched) and the walls of the second floor (in red).

Our kitchen is a U shape open to a Family Rm at South direction. On the North side is a Dining room with a connecting door to the kitchen. The dining room is open to a living room on its East side. The living room is on the NE side of the kitchen.
A double door on the East side connects to an entrance and stairs to the second floor.

I'd like to remove all of the East wall and 2.5ft from the North wall. This will make 27ft North-Shouth openning (11ft are original).
Those walls has to somehow support the second floor. We have Master Bdrm (and Master suite) over the Kitchen and Dining Rm. The Master Bdrm has about 4ft overhang to the North beyond first floor exterior wall and a 4ft cantilever porch beyond that. There is a post 4ft away from the North wall, supporting a 8.5" x 5.5" beam.

I suspect both walls to be removed are load bearing walls.
What it would take to remove those walls?
What kind of beam(s) would be needed to support the second floor?
Could the second floor be supported without any column at the opening?

I'd appreciate any advice I could get about the structural support needed.

Comments (8)