SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
honorbiltkit

One cool asset, many layout challenges. Ideas, please?

honorbiltkit
10 years ago

I just acquired a smashing 9-foot-tall homemade turquoise kitchen cabinet.

It conveyed attached to the wall of a kitchen in a 1905 farmhouse-ish house on an oddly shaped lot in a quiet, modest, and funkily charming neighborhood. We will be renovating the house frugally, using as much craigslist and ebay material as possible that fits with a sort-of period look.

My first task is to do a layout of the kitchen, so that heating, and water pipes can be moved around from the basement.

The cabinet will stay in place, flanked by windows, and will largely determine what other space is available in a kitchen that is 20' by 7'8'', plus walk-in [barely] pantry.

Here is the current layout of the first floor, not quite proportional.

What is critical here is that light from the kitchen windows penetrate the dining room, which has been rendered gloomy by a relatively recent (1940s?) addition that closed up the windows on the opposite dining room wall, and by a mud room that runs behind the back window.

The implications here are that the range must go where the refrigerator is now, which is the only space on an outside wall that will accommodate it. Adding that to the need to reduce the area of the wall to the dining room, this is the only layout I can come up with.

Here, working clockwise from the upper left of the kitchen proper:
A is the replacement radiator for the current behemoth that runs under the window. The new one will be tall and narrow and run on the left side of the window.
B is a countertop over cabinets for storing pots and pans.
C is the sink base
D is the dishwasher
E is an unremovable chimney.
F is a 90 inch utility cabinet 16 inches square.
G is a 36” wide near-counterdepth fridge
H is a 72” peninsula countertop with seating from the dining room. Underneath will be two or three banks of drawers for storage of dishes. The stools have to be shallow enough to fit under the counter overhang.
I is a 38” vintage Tappen gas range, which provides its own landing area. Alternatively, I could put a 30” range in with cabinets and hood arrangement to make it look not stranded on its own.
J is the existing walk-in pantry.

The problems with this layout are primarily the narrow space between the dishwasher and the drawer units of the peninsula, the relative remoteness of the range from the sink and refrigerator, Also, there are no upper cabinets, so all glassware will have to be kept in the turquoise cabinet.

I would welcome other ideas for using the existing space.

Many thanks. hbk

Here is a link that might be useful: MR photos for kitchen

This post was edited by honorbiltkit on Fri, Oct 18, 13 at 1:00

Comments (27)