SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mshutterbug

Looking for layout help and ideas please!

mshutterbug
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I've read through the "how to ask" topics, so hopefully I'm in the right place to ask! We just finished a remodel on our kitchen and it turned out perfectly. Long story short, we've decided to move. (Part of our compromise was an agreement that we would immediately remodel the kitchen ;) We haven't even moved in to the new place yet, but I want to get started on the plan. I will include the current layout with dimensions. (I measured everything, but won't be back in the house until the end of the month.) I know many would suggest living with the kitchen as-is for a while, but that's not something we are going to do, as we will be replacing the floors first, and our plan is to demo the kitchen before we do the floors :)

We are a family of five. Myself, my husband, and our 13 year old, 5 year old, and 4 year old. I do the cooking 99% of the time, but I expect the kids will help more as they get older. I love to bake. I love having a big flat island. I don't care for anything in the island (sink, cooktop, etc.) I like being able to do my prep work there, serving food, etc. And in our current home, the island is directly across from the wall ovens, which works great for setting baking sheets on etc. In our current home we have a big open floor plan with kitchen, dining, and family room all in one space, and I love that. In our new home we will have a separate formal dining room as well as a bay window nook area. My intention is to put a round table there, build a window seat to follow the curve of the wall (unless someone suggests otherwise). So the 3 kids should be able to sit on the bench, with two chairs on the other side. I envision this will be where people spend most of their time doing homework, working on laptop, etc. (Right now all of that is done at the dining table, but I don't see anyone spending time in the formal living room unless we have guests over. Which is kind of sad because I looooove my dining table. It was a Christmas gift from my husband and is a big gorgeous farmhouse style 4'x8' and we spend lots of time at it.)

As for traffic flow, since we don't live there I can't say for certain. However, knowing how our family operates, I expect the flow will rarely come from the formal dining room. It would likely all be from the left, which is also the direction we will enter the home, whether from front door or from garage, only flowing into/out of the dining room when we are having guests over for a meal or something, and only then to sit down and eat, rather than people going back and forth during meal prep. (Hopefully that makes sense.)

As for scope, our last kitchen remodel was extensive, and we are hoping to keep this one to a smaller scale. So, no moving walls or windows, and as few changes to electrical/plumbing as possible. Though I DO want a cooktop, NOT a range. So that means we need to find a spot for a wall oven. We currently have a double oven, but I've decided to go with a wall oven/microwave combo instead this time around. Or a wall oven with a separate microwave placed somewhere else. I love my double oven, but I don't use it enough to justify the expense (both purchasing it and the necessary electrical changes.) I don't want a range because I prefer the look for an uninterrupted countertop and it is much easier for cleanup. (I've had both, and I for sure want a cooktop).

In the current layout there is a "desk area" as you can see. It's basically got upper cabinets and then a shorter desk area with matching countertop. This is not something I see us using so I was thinking of either making it a full wall of cabinets or a normal size counter with upper/lower cabinets. It just seems separate from the kitchen, so I'm not sure how useful countertop there would really be...

I considered eliminating the island and doing a peninsula instead, but the fewer corner cabinets I have, the better. And I also think it closes off the kitchen from the nook/family room and I'd rather keep it more of an open layout. I am open to ideas though. I tend to get so focused on my original idea that I can miss great ideas. So I'm keeping an open mind :)

This is the current layout. Hopefully you can read it well enough. I did my best to sketch it to scale. Currently they have an overhang for seating at the island, but even though traffic won't regularly flow past it into the dining room, it seems way too tight for seating. My plan is to eliminate the seating there altogether (unless someone convinces me it's a good idea.)

Here's the "bigger picture" with the layout:

And here's a couple of ideas I was playing around with. Considered the idea of extending the island to make the countertop to the left of the fridge seem more part of the kitchen, but then I think it makes the chairs at the round table cramped. (I'm not set on the round table, by the way.) Was thinking I could put the wall oven to the left of dishwasher, but then that reduces that counterspace, and I do use the counterspace on either side of the sink.

Or maybe put the wall oven between the pantry and the fridge. Or maybe something totally different that I haven't considered.

Ideas much appreciated!

Comments (223)