SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jaegbea

Please help with odd layout. I'm totally out of ideas (and my mind)

jaegbea
6 years ago

Hi All,

Thank you for reading (and hopefully) responding! I'm out of ideas and need to get this project completed. We are empty nesters and bought this 80's built property for the simple reason it has a mother in law house (separate!!!) that is needed. It is not an ideal layout for us, but you do what you need to for family. We have been remodeling kitchen, removing tounge and groove from ceilings, drywalling, and flooring for a year and a half. Ready to just live for a while before we tackle anything else - like bathrooms!

We've tried to hire decorators, but we are in a smaller town and they like to stay in the city. lol

This house has a Living - Dining Nook - Kitchen - Open space that I have not a clue how to comfortably live in. It has multiple (long) hallways and an angled entry along with what seems to be a "floating" fireplace with orange brick. 8 foot ceilings in kitchen and nook.

What I need advice for -

Living Room Furniture Placement for comfort to watch t.v., read and lounge.

Nothing that you see is staying, except televison lol.

This is a blank slate.

Do we buy chairs and 1 sofa? 3 Chairs and 1 sofa? Sofa and L/S is preferred for lounging as we both like to put our feet up. Well, hubbyi is 6'3 and likes to lay down ha.

What sizes and where to place them?

Rugs? How many? What size?

Lamps, Art, Tables, Credenzas, Draperies, etc.

I like warm with no bright yellow, pink or orange.

A bit of grey is fine, too.

I like sagey greens and blues. Soft, comfortable.

New flooring just added. It is a bit more reddish than I anticipated by samples..

It's showing more red in pics.

We will have 4 inch base mould, and cased windows. Crown is in place.

There is not enough room to put television above F/P.

Paint neeed for all 3 spaces - Tie all 3 spaces together somehow.

Paint colors in this house have been so hard. All windows are under covered porches so direct light is shadowed. I've tried all "trendy" without going totally gray. Pale Oak (peach), Wordly Gray (purple), Accessible Beige (flesh toned), Agreeable Gray (gray blue), Edgecomb ( peach pink) Walls are BM Collingwood now and are purple toned, especially around F/P and kitchen walls with Simply White on Cabs.

Color "expert" at BM recommended I venture fully into warm colors....Manchester Tan, Natural Linen. What is you all's opinion on those colors? I've spent a fortune on paint already!

I'm afraid of pink and yellow and with this shadowed light and orange fireplace, paint is very hard.

Kitchen is Simply White BM and we were wondering if we should stay with that for rest of doors and trim or change to SW Pure White for more contrast? Right now there is no contrast with Simply White in this shadowed light. SW Ceiling Extra White on ceiling.

The elephant in the room(s) is obviously the orange fireplace? Should it be whitewashed to calm down the orange? We have already covered over most of it as it went to the ceiling and around the corner. Oh, it has a traditional white type mantel (not shown in pics)

I'm no decorator, but I'm not sure this particular floating F/P is a focal point..is it?

L/R has S/W exposure (covered porches overhang) Dining and Kitchen has East light (with pergola overhang)

KItchen needs finish out - Pendant lights over bar, sconce on tile wall, backsplash choice, stools.

Nook needs a table.

We have not chosen these items...as we have no idea how to make it all fit cohesively.

If any of you would like to help us....we would be most grateful.

I am including all three areas because they belong together; don't want to seem to ask too much...

Thanks guys.

House Pictures · More Info

View From Entry - Shows kitchen area

View from hallway of front entrance

View from Dining Nook / Kitchen

View of Dining Nook Area

Wall in Kitchen that needs tile , Shelves and sconce