SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
julie_berry

Another challenging layout

Julie B.
6 years ago

After years of living with a poorly designed, too small kitchen, we're ready to remodel. However, I'm stumped as to a layout options and I'm hoping for opinions here, as you all are much more creative than me. :-)

We currently have a small kitchen adjacent to a dining room and (mostly unused) formal living room. We're thinking about expanding the kitchen into the dining room, but the challenge is the shape of the dining room -- it's not square, but formed by two bay windows. All outside walls of the dining room have windows. We'd then turn the formal living room into the dining room.

I need more storage and counter space, and also want to move my refrigerator out of the corner and solve the problem of the dishwasher opening into doorway into the dining room. The wall between the dining room and kitchen isn't load bearing, but does house plumbing from the upstairs bathroom in the section closest to the outside wall.

The only thing I've been able to come up with is removing the wall between the kitchen and dining room, moving the wall where the refrigerator currently is back into what is now the living room and flipping the refrigerator 90 degrees, and putting an island with a sink, dishwasher and eating bar into what is now the dining room. Running cabinets along the walls of the current dining room would be difficult because of the angled walls.

The top photo is how the kitchen currently exists, with measurements. The next photo is my poor attempt at a new plan. The door leading to the stairs is a pantry that's built under the stairs, so that portion can't move. The wall next to pantry is what I'm thinking about pushing back into the current living room. The 5'4" wall would be removed.

Thank you for any input you might have. It seems like there should be a way to do this, but I'm pretty perplexed. I've had a couple contractors/designers in, and I haven't heard anything different. Our budget's pretty open at this point.

Comments (21)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH