SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scrappy25

Kitchen addition plans- lots to look at, please help with layout

scrappy25
14 years ago

Greetings, I have been absorbing all the great wisdom here and posted some prelim removation plans within the footprint of our existing kitchen several months back. However, I have decided that the kitchen really needs to be enlarged, and have consulted an architect to provide preliminary ideas for the expansion. She provided drawings addressing the following requests.

1. We need a larger kitchen with island plan and preferably separate seating for the family (family of 5, three are teens)

2. There needs to be an entrance from new kitchen into a new screened porch located behind the dining room.

3. Dining room is used often and must stay as a dining room.

4. More storage is needed by the back entrance for boys and their stuff as they come in the door.

Here is the existing layout. I have tried to mark all important measuremetns information.

Here are the architecnt's prelim drawings

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

I liked these plans, but my family pointed out that we would be losing the view of the backyard (we have a large and great yard) from the entrance hall to the house, and the boys did not want to lose space in the family room to cabinets by a low wall, since they like to roughhouse there. My husband also objected to losing the access to the deck from the family room.

Based on this input, I came u[ with these two possibilities

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Other information

1. Goals: A kitchen that welcomes family and guests, that can feed hungry teens and their friends, as well as host the social hour for a weekly bible study of about 8-10 people ( everyone gathers in the kitchen first since that is where the food is).

2. Family composition- Myself, my husband, and 3 boys ages 18,15,11. 18 yo is heading off to college in the fall.

3. We do a lot of stovetop cooking (chinese heritage) and use the oven several times a week. I have an existing GE profile double oven which is new and would like to incorporate it into the new kitchen, but that is not fixed in stone. I have found the double oven useful at holidays.

4. The kitchen table is often used for homework and other events by the kids. I need to have storage around it to be able to clear the table in a flash so that we can eat on it.

5. Dining room is used often enough that we need to keep it.

6. Kitchen is currently open to the family room and back entrance and I'd like to keep it that way.

7. The dining room door can change location, and the windows along the back...

Comments (28)